Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #76
ManusDei
Mouseketeer

I'll add a few "traditions".

If I'm driving, I put on my continuously shuffled large mix of various Disney and Pixar music the whole way down (it's long enough to cover most of the distance without repeating) . But usually DGF drives, and she likes to cycle through her large catalog of CDs because changing them out helps keeps her awake. They include a handful of Disney music, but it's not limited to that like my playlist usually is.

In 2011, DGF and I saw a Costco deal, $55 for a 5 day pass to Universal Studios Hollywood, with few blackout dates and it didn't expire for the majority of the year. We snapped it up and subsequently did 5 individual trips to USH, some of which we combined with DLR and some were day-trips (USH takes like half a day or less to see everything in the park). Since then, we always point out the Universal Studios sign every time we pass along 101 it going to DLR nowadays.

In the same area is an exit for Cahuenga Ave (or Blvd, can't remember right now). That name always tickled DGF for some reason, she says it in a really silly way. After Hollywood Pictures Backlot was transformed into Hollywood Land, one of the buildings was emblazoned Cahuenga, and so it's now permanently stuck that we say that name in the silly way every time we see it.

Further down 101 you pass the Hollywood Tower, one of the inspirations for the Tower of Terror. This also has to be pointed out; it's kind of a landmark that signals we're in LA.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll add more later if I can remember any.
ManusDei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #77
DisneyMax74
Mouseketeer

Wow sounds like lots of people from Utah drive to DL. We are in the salt lake valley, pretty much as far south as you can go and still be in SL County. lol

When we drive (which has been a few times) we don't have any major traditions but we always stop at Brad's in Cedar City for lunch or dinner depending on the time of day. Brad's is awesome by the way, just a little drive in burger place that makes great food.

Then we usually spend a night in St. George just because we love it there, will probably end up retiring there someday.

And then we usually spend two or three nights in Vegas on the way back. The kids love Excalibur because it's a castle of course, and mom and dad prefer Treasure Island or a couple other places. Although, last time we stayed at South Point just south of the main part of the strip. That place was great. Very nice hotel and away from the craziness of the strip but only a 5 minute drive to get to the strip when you want to. It may sound like a slogan but it really is a four star hotel with two star prices. lol I guess you have to be competative price-wise to pull people away from the strip.

Of course we always have fun driving down, snacking, listening to music and laughing. I really love flying just because we get there faster but you really can't replace the family time you get when you're all locked up in the car together for 10 hours over two days. lol
DisneyMax74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #78
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecrush View Post
I LOVE this thread!!

We come from Portland, OR. Leave at 3 am. Drive 10 hours till San Fran and spend the night, then get up at 7 and drive to Disneyland!

This year its different, we are going to FINALLY see the Redwoods! We say that every year and never make it

Then we are driving to Vallejo and hitting up Discovery Kingdom, then taking my DD14 to the One Direction concert !!!!! Then Disneyland!! So more stops this year, but its worth it!!

Aaaaaand what Disney Cd's am I hearing about????? I want them!!!

We did a Redwoods vacation 2 years ago and it was wonderful!

Are you staying over in the area there a few days? If so, look into a jetboat ride up the Rogue River on Jerry's Rogue River Jets -- sooo fun!
PS, there is a liquor barn within 5mi of crossing the OR/CA border on 101, great discount prices compared to what we pay here ;-)

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #79
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post
We live a little east of Salem. When we leave during the evening, I always stop at the 24 hr Dutch Bros in Sutherlin for my coffee fix. If we depart during the day, we make sure to stop at In-N-Out in Redding.

Then we continue on to San Francisco and stay with family for a few days before heading to Disneyland.
ummm i live a little east of Salem also. Wonder if we are same-town neighbors...

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #80
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

We drive from Orem and have nights in Vegas on the way there and back. DH likes to make a 'playlist' for the trip to hype us up once we hit the ugly parts of the drive LOL. (For example..California by Phantom Planet...)

Oh and we always try to be the first to spot the first cactus before you hit St G. LOL!!

We ALWAYS have sunflower seeds and baggies to spit the outsides into because you can seal it up. Sunflower seeds keep my mouth busy so I don't get carsick.

We're also jerky eaters. We stop in St G for gas and to feel the dramatic climate change hahahaha and always hit up the same gas station so we can spot 'my' palm tree which we take a picture of every time.

Have I mentioned we're totally dorks? LOL

ETA-I forgot that DH always has to buy a scorpion sucker in St. G. ROFL

Last edited by EmmersIsTheMommy; 03-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.
EmmersIsTheMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #81
DisneyJewel
Mouseketeer

I'm from LA and now live in the Bay Area -- we've been driving down since the kids were very young. Our biggest tradition is that we leave at 4am, and I do all the driving! Otherwise, I get carsick. The kids go in the car in PJs and with a blanket and they all (inc. DH) sleep while I drive. It's tiring for me, but I love leaving so early, missing traffic, and getting to So.Cal. early! We don't watch movies or anything, since my kids also get carsick.

I drive until the rest of the family wakes up (usually around 8am) and needs breakfast or a bathroom break. Recently, I've been packing some breakfast (cut-up fruit, etc.) so we only stop for bathroom and gas. Our other big tradition is that we always listen to audiobooks once everyone is awake -- we get them from the library and always enjoy them. It really helps pass the time.

We usually go every year, but we didn't go last year so our last road trip was Nov. 2011. This year we are going in April and July, but we are flying (for the first time!) in April, because we only have 2 nights and it would be too much driving for me (and not enough time in the parks). That will be a big change as I am used to having a car and also used to being able to pack lots of food -- a full cooler and lots of non-perishable snacks. We won't have room since we will be flying. Another big change is that kids will be 11 and 14 -- our first year they both have to have adult tickets. Ouch!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #82
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Lots of us Utah drivers. Does the name Scipio make any of you say it in the most squeaky voice feasible? It does me and it drives my kids insane. It's the little things. DH joins me and we have a Scipio fest for a good 5 minutes past it.

I want the Beaver Liquor hat.

I also like to tell the kids I see Mountain Goats in that Arizona pass. I never see them but it makes them search really hard. I'd love to see one but figure they've got a better chance of pointing one out with their young eyes.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #83
luulu1999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrysmom View Post
We drive from Utah, too, and we usually stay in Las Vegas and start the second morning with a buffet breakfast, to make sure the minions are full and happy.

I always make my kids a bag of "surprises" they can open along the way. Last time I appliqued Mickey Ears with their initials on black canvas bags- they looked cute and were sturdy. My littles get things like princess Polly Pockets, crayon sets, packages of bandaids (seriously, do you have any idea how long a three year old can stay entertained with a package of bandaids to play with?) and my big kids might get a new DS game or DVD to watch, notebooks and pens, stuff like that.

We stop for photo ops, too- the big gold panning miner in Prymm, NV, the giant thermometer- it's fun to have pictures of my kids there every other year to see how much they've grown.

My husband is a "drive straight through until you get there with no stops and no sidetracks" kind of personality, and I'm more of a "oh, look- what's that over there- don't you think we should go see it?" kind of road tripper, so there is sometimes a little frustration on the drive. I'm thinking this year I may try to get him to agree in advance on a few specific stops on the way, so he can feel like we're going straight to a destination for each stop!

Other than that, we're boring- we do the usual Disney music in the car and watch a Disney movie thing. Mostly, we are just happy to get there with all five children still alive and happy!
HAHA we drove from MO and thats how my BF is we didn't get to stop and see anything!!! And I wanted to stop and see all kinds of stuff lol

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me

Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
Summer 2014-Disneyland Summer trip
luulu1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #84
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Like another poster, we, too, live in Tucson and will be doing the drive along I-8 between Arizona and San Diego on our way out to Disneyland. This is our 1st Disneyland trip, but we’ve done the I-8-to-San Diego trek many times because we have close relatives who live in the San Diego area. Usually our traditions include:

Just after we’ve left Gila Bend (shortly after you see a road sign that says “No services for 60 miles”), either ODD or YDD announces that she has to go to the bathroom. I mean, seriously, you can set your watch by it. This leads me to another tradition…

….Mommy packing the kiddie port-a-potty in the trunk of the car! When we went a year ago, first it was YDD who had to go. Then while watching YDD do her thing on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, ODD announced that she had to go, too. Good thing Mommy also packs flushable wipes & ziplock bags to store it all in (don’t want to litter in the desert, ya know).

Then 30 min after that, another tradition is that DH has to use the facilities (whatever creosote bush or Palo Verde tree happens to be nearby off the shoulder of the road). At this point, we have yet another tradition…

…Mommy announcing, “Holy cow, can we please just get there already? Does ANYONE ELSE have to pee?” ROFL!

We usually hit up Dateland for another potty stop (you can get date shakes there; it's a small restaurant/gas station literally in the middle of nowhere).

Then we stop on the AZ-side of Yuma to fill up the gas tank (since gas is usually about $0.75/gallon cheaper).

Then we stop on CA-side of Yuma to fill up our bellies at Dave’s BBQ. DH likes to time our departure to get to Yuma around 11am and it’s usually 3 hr from our house in Marana to Yuma.

Then drive drive drive to La Mesa (BIL/SIL’s house). Although we never quite make it without another pit stop. TWO TIMES now we have had to stop at the ONE exit in California that has no services because ODD or YDD has to pee like a racehorse. The port-a-potty really gets a workout, doesn’t it?

Oh yeah, and we pass time with lots of Disney movies in the backseat.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #85
smiles33
DIS Veteran

We have only made the drive from the SF Bay Area to DLR once but we're doing it again in April! On the first trip, my girls were surprisingly well-behaved (at ages 2 and 5). We just talked or they slept. No audio books, no DVDs. We left early so that helped immensely.

This time around, I hope to leave early again and bring audio books and DVDs (new-to-us car has built-in DVD player).

We stopped at Harris Ranch that first morning on the drive down, but we got there at 10:30 and it was a bit early for such a heavy breakfast. This time around, I think we'll pack snacks and hold out longer to stop at Tita's Pupuseria in Button Willow. We ate there on our drive home last time and it was a hit! I love pupusas, my girls liked them well enough, and the wait wasn't as long as Harris (but longer than In-N-Out).
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #86
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

I'm going to have to go through this post in detail later to figure out some good stops to make on our trip. We are driving down from Vancouver, BC and then heading towards Vegas and Denver after we are done in Anaheim.

Thanks for all the info!

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #87
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Lots of us Utah drivers. Does the name Scipio make any of you say it in the most squeaky voice feasible? It does me and it drives my kids insane. It's the little things. DH joins me and we have a Scipio fest for a good 5 minutes past it.

I want the Beaver Liquor hat.

I also like to tell the kids I see Mountain Goats in that Arizona pass. I never see them but it makes them search really hard. I'd love to see one but figure they've got a better chance of pointing one out with their young eyes.
No but Scipio will from now on ROFL.

We do, however, get a super immature giggle out of the Fillmore Beaver area sign. *giggle*
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #88
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

Ok, I have traveled to southern Utah all my life and it has never registered about the Fillmore Beaver thing. Never look at those towns the same again.
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #89
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spwhoney View Post
Ok, I have traveled to southern Utah all my life and it has never registered about the Fillmore Beaver thing. Never look at those towns the same again.
You're welcome!

To the PP who posted that whoever is driving gets control over the radio...my DH is the same. My car turns into the 1950's on road trips and he practically refuses to *let me* drive. Now I'm thinking he's more of a radio control freak than a women, namely this woman, are worse drivers freak...hmmm....I may be on to something.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #90
merrysmom
Mouseketeer

My DH is always torn- he likes me to drive so he can read the newspaper, but he feels like my refusal to speed is a failure on my part, so after awhile he decides to drive (and I proceed to pester him to slow down, for Pete's sake.)

Really, we should probably fly.

merrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: