Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
ChrisRuns
Training for my third run around the World!

The best thing you can do is go talk to your doctor and put together a plan since you know this is an issue - there are certain things that my doctor has advised me to do in the heat. Some are obvious, like plenty of fluids, frequent snacks, stay in the shade, etc. Others are customized because I have medical issues that I didn't even know about that the heat triggers.

Being honest with your friends is best. You don't have to go into it, just say something like "Hey, I don't do well in the heat so I may have to take it a little slower than most people."
ChrisRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

Honestly you may have to rethink some aspects of your trip. The idea that you will be able to tour at a "normal" pace with no accomodations for the heat isn't really reasonable. It seems to me that you are going to have to make some tough decisions: Either explain your situation to the group so that everyone can modify their touring, plan to separate so that you can tour at your own pace, or get sick. It is possible to tour even in June with sensitivity that you describe- although I certainly wouldn't advise it, choosing multiple other school break times- but not successfully without some changes.

DD has seizures if she gets too hot and she and I also take meds that increase sensitivity. She uses a w/c with a sunshade, I carry a parasol or wear a large hat, we use spf 50+ clothing over a wicking layer, we have the frog toggs cloths that help a lot, tour from rope drop to lunch, then sit down lunch, then back to hotel until evening- or sometimes the next day; we have a very good touring plan that among other things alternates outdoor and indoor experiences and rides, we are very careful to hydrate, I use an ECV unless I'm alone with her (which I would never do in high summer). Even with all of these preparations in place we need to keep a high level of awareness.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #33
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

I've been giving it a lot of thought and have decided that I will have to tell my friends about my condition. We're actually meeting for dinner tonight to discuss touring plans, itinerary, etc.

I'm trying to limit the amount of information that I give them but was thinking that I would basically say something along the lines of "I have to take it very easy in the parks because I get very sick from the heat and sun. Please don't think you will offend us if you want to tour separately and just meet up for meals and non-park activities."
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRuns View Post
The best thing you can do is go talk to your doctor and put together a plan since you know this is an issue - there are certain things that my doctor has advised me to do in the heat. Some are obvious, like plenty of fluids, frequent snacks, stay in the shade, etc. Others are customized because I have medical issues that I didn't even know about that the heat triggers.

Being honest with your friends is best. You don't have to go into it, just say something like "Hey, I don't do well in the heat so I may have to take it a little slower than most people."

This is perfect advice - put out in the most honest way possible. Good Job, ChirsRuns!

An ECV - if you need it - may help. It does not create drama - using the ECV avoids issues!

Relax. Have a great time! YOU make the decisions. "It's all about you" in this case. Don't worry!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Great choice to tell them. Friends are usually very nice about making accommodations when medical issues are involved. You don't have to push them away either, you could start out together on any given day and go until you start feeling you're close to your limits. The biggest burden is on you to be aware of how you're doing and to not overdo! Good luck!
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: