Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #391
LCoulter
Whoah Mouse

Well, I didn’t actually see this but I thought the story was funny.

DH and I usually cruise with my parents. My DF loves to sleep to the sound of the waves so he would make up a bed on the balcony floor with the bedspread and pillows and sleep out there at night.

Around 3am, he wakes to a very loud rumbling sound and thinks that the ship is about to be rammed. He starts to scramble up when a huge wave of water washes into the balcony, soaking him, the bedspread and pillows so now he is thinking tidal wave. He gets the balcony door open, as water is still pouring in, and falls into the cabin as the bedspread is twisted around his legs and feet.

Luckily he was ok…just wounded pride. It was the window washing machine up above at the buffet restaurant going off.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #392
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCoulter View Post

Luckily he was ok…just wounded pride. It was the window washing machine up above at the buffet restaurant going off.
HA!!! Funny
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #393
psimon
Will travel for turkey legs!
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCoulter View Post
Well, I didn’t actually see this but I thought the story was funny.

DH and I usually cruise with my parents. My DF loves to sleep to the sound of the waves so he would make up a bed on the balcony floor with the bedspread and pillows and sleep out there at night.

Around 3am, he wakes to a very loud rumbling sound and thinks that the ship is about to be rammed. He starts to scramble up when a huge wave of water washes into the balcony, soaking him, the bedspread and pillows so now he is thinking tidal wave. He gets the balcony door open, as water is still pouring in, and falls into the cabin as the bedspread is twisted around his legs and feet.

Very good!

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D EASTERN, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

psimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #394
Msmit002
Family Concierge

How have I manged to MISS this thread all this time. This is solid gold stuff!

So here's one... it was oh, 10 years ago and DH and I are on our first cruise (not DCL), an 11 night Western Caribbean, and our assigned table in the MDR was this beautiful table right in front of the large aft window overlooking the sea. It was the focal point of the MDR. It was a large table for 12, so DH and I had 10 other table mates. Our table consisted of DH and me, a 3 generation family from New Jersey (of which I also hail from) who were very polite and were very excited because they had saved for years to take this 'once in a lifetime' cruise. All of us adults were joined with by lone gentlemen.

Over the course of the cruise, each night we all talked about our excursions, our families etc. but none of us talked about our careers or work, which DH and I were happy about since we went on this cruise to ESCAPE our stressful job. Well, none of us talked about our job except one: the lone gentleman.

Well, the first night in the MDR lone gentleman tells us that he is on board, gratis, because he is actually giving a series of lectures/talks for the passengers which, just so happens to be in the field of which DH and I (at the time) worked: Information Technology. DH and I nod and smile as he talks each night about his knowledge and encourages is to go and listen to one of his talks. Unfortunately, some of the things this gentleman was saying kinda made DH and I raise an eyebrow because he really didn't seem to know much about IT at all which caused DH and I to wonder if the cruise line actually vet these folks before offering them free passage in exchange for their 'expertise'.

Finally on night 8 of our cruise, at dinner, lone gentleman decides to explain some 'interesting' tips for computers and how to do some particular process but what he was saying was incredibly misleading and if any of the others in our party really tried it, would completely ruin their personal computers. At this point, DH and I could stand it no more. We politely called bull-crap and corrected him.

At this point, lone gentleman stands up, in the middle of the dining room and yells at DH and I, saying we have no idea what we are talking about that he is the expert on this ship and is sailing for free because he is such an expert. The rest of the MDR, witin rather close proximity stops to watch the exchange. Well, at that point, DH quietly reaches for his wallet and pulls out 10 of his business cards which clearly shows that he was (at the time) Director of IT for University which we work (I used to teach IT while he was Director of IT) and passes them around the table.

The family from NJ suddenly let their true colors show. Imagine nice and polite grandma suddenly displaying the vernacular of Snookie from Jersey Shore ash she was telling lone gentleman that he had just been schooled. . It was priceless. The whole family suddenly was asking DH all kinds of questions about computers etc. and lone gentleman left the MDR.

We never saw him again the ENTIRE rest of the cruise.

Last edited by Msmit002; 03-22-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #395
disdel
Ears? Anyone remember the GEnie boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmit002 View Post

So here's one... it was oh, 10 years ago and DH and I are on our first cruise (not DCL), an 11 night Western Caribbean, and our assigned table in the MDR was this beautiful table right in front of the large aft window overlooking the sea. It was the focal point of the MDR. It was a large table for 12, so DH and I had 10 other table mates. Our table consisted of DH and me, a 3 generation family from New Jersey (of which I also hail from) who were very polite and were very excited because they had saved for years to take this 'once in a lifetime' cruise. All of us adults were joined with by lone gentlemen.

Over the course of the cruise, each night we all talked about our excursions, our families etc. but none of us talked about our careers or work, which DH and I were happy about since we went on this cruise to ESCAPE our stressful job. Well, none of us talked about our job except one: the lone gentleman.

Well, the first night in the MDR lone gentleman tells us that he is on board, gratis, because he is actually giving a series of lectures/talks for the passengers which, just so happens to be in the field of which DH and I (at the time) worked: Information Technology. DH and I nod and smile as he talks each night about his knowledge and encourages is to go and listen to one of his talks. Unfortunately, some of the things this gentleman was saying kinda made DH and I raise an eyebrow because he really didn't seem to know much about IT at all which caused DH and I to wonder if the cruise line actually vet these folks before offering them free passage in exchange for their 'expertise'.

Finally on night 8 of our cruise, at dinner, lone gentleman decides to explain some 'interesting' tips for computers and how to do some particular process but what he was saying was incredibly misleading and if any of the others in our party really tried it, would completely ruin their personal computers. At this point, DH and I could stand it no more. We politely called bull-crap and corrected him.

At this point, lone gentleman stands up, in the middle of the dining room and yells at DH and I, saying we have no idea what we are talking about that he is the expert on this ship and is sailing for free because he is such an expert. The rest of the MDR, witin rather close proximity stops to watch the exchange. Well, at that point, DH quietly reaches for his wallet and pulls out 10 of his business cards which clearly shows that he was (at the time) Director of IT for University which we work (I used to teach IT while he was Director of IT) and passes them around the table.

The family from NJ suddenly let their true colors show. Imagine nice and polite grandma suddenly displaying the vernacular of Snookie from Jersey Shore ash she was telling lone gentleman that he had just been schooled. . It was priceless. The whole family suddenly was asking DH all kinds of questions about computers etc. and lone gentleman left the MDR.

LOVE it

"better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool, than open your mouth and confirm it"
MAGIC Western Caribbean 10/06/07 WONDER 11/06/08MAGIC Transatlantic 4/10-24, 2010 WONDER in Alaska 6/28/11 DREAM 11/10/11 MAGIC in NYC 6/15/12 FANTASY New Year's Eve 12/28/13 DREAM 1/12/14 MAGIC WBTA 9/6/14 WONDER 10/01/14 - Completing 4 ships in 1 year

and waaaay too many visits to WDW to list (including midnight for the "millenium" - Y2K, bah), but never enough

Last edited by disdel; 03-22-2013 at 02:03 PM.
disdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #396
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmit002 View Post

This story is priceless!!!

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #397
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

Last edited by DVCisME; 03-22-2013 at 08:14 PM.
DVCisME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #398
BooToYou7
Earning My Ears

My husband and I were on the 2012-2013 New Year's Eve cruise on the Dream. On New Year's Eve night, right after the midnight countdown, we were in the upper level just above the adult pool when we saw a boy, probably about 15 years old, practically crawling up the stairs, clinging to a Sprite bottle. It was clear that Sprite was NOT in the bottle. I truly don't think that DCL served him, I think that his family, or whomever he was with, brought some "happy juice" on board that he filled his bottle up with. I'm pretty sure that poor boy was within 10 minutes of emptying his stomach, and having a REALLY bad New Year's Day... We got out of the vacinity quickly....
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #399
kimgg
DIS Veteran

It wasn't funny and I didn't see it, but I'm sure it shocked anyone around when one of the glass doors to deck 4 shattered on our fantasy cruise last week!! It was outside the theater and I think a result of the windy pressure that our rocky cruise experienced (don't think anyone was hurt that I could tell). It had just happened after we came out of the theater. A little excitement!

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
kimgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #400
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforward View Post
While sitting peacefully by the Mickey Pool watching and photographing my children as they went down the slide I was privy to a very interesting conversation:
Kid (about three): Mom, I have to go to the bathroom.
Mom: Number one or two?
Kid: Number one
Mom: Then go in the pool.
Kid: Okay.

Nice!
Time to go to the Goofy pool!
OH YUCK!!!!! What is wrong with people??!
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #401
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrbell View Post

OH YUCK!!!!! What is wrong with people??!
People are nasty. When we were on the Magic last month, we spent part if one morning at the Goofy pool. We witnessed a lot of this type of gross behavior, but it must have been worse on the Mickey pool side. When we went to that side to get some lunch, the entire deck area from the pool to the outer wall of the restaurant/bar was wet...right up to the "path" leading into the restrooms. Interestingly, that was completely bone dry, meaning clearly no one who was in the pool was using it. Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #402
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewilmingtonwalls View Post
People are nasty. When we were on the Magic last month, we spent part if one morning at the Goofy pool. We witnessed a lot of this type of gross behavior, but it must have been worse on the Mickey pool side. When we went to that side to get some lunch, the entire deck area from the pool to the outer wall of the restaurant/bar was wet...right up to the "path" leading into the restrooms. Interestingly, that was completely bone dry, meaning clearly no one who was in the pool was using it. Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think that's the way the kids go up the stairs to the slide too. Right pass that restroom
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #403
GladysP
Earning My Ears

While I have to say that I've never seen anything shocking on my past cruises, I did have an unexpected and wonderfully fun experience this past January on my Dream cruise.

My husband and I had just entered the Shutters area and walking behind and past us here comes Stitch and his handler. At the time, I was carrying a large Stitch stuffed animal that my husband (who knows I'm a huge fan) had surprised me with from one of the shops.

Well, Stitch spots his stuffed double and snatches it from me and proceeds to run through shutters with his handler, myself and my husband all chasing him.

I tell you, it was priceless!! I just adore Stitch and his oh so mischievous personality. He is so comically naughty

When his handler finally convinced him (all done playfully of course) to give me back 'my' Stitch, he happily posed with me while my husband and his handler snapped pictures. I will never forget it as that is just one of the many, many reasons why I am gaga over my Disney cruises
GladysP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #404
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladysP View Post
....Well, Stitch spots his stuffed double and snatches it from me and proceeds to run through shutters with his handler, myself and my husband all chasing him....
This is great. Gotta love Disney Magic.

I find my self using this symbol, , a lot here.
DCL rocks.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #405
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Do rogue waves count?
Wait ...... it was dark, ...... couldn't "see" them.
Guess they don't count.
Forget it.

I did it again.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: