Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
momw/2princesses
Mouseketeer

First time Gluten Free - Where to find....

Our next trip will be our first with DD being gluten free. She really wants to have some of her favorite Disney dishes, but is worried now that she's GF. Can you tell me where you've had luck finding GF Mickey waffles, kid's mac & cheese (she LOVES this, but doesn't care for my yummy homemade!) and chicken strips? I've seen several post for waffles, but don't remember locations for the other things I mentioned. Any help is appreciated!!

Also, can anyone tell me how the Poly is with GF? Specifically Captain Cook's. Probably won't do Kona this trip, but may consider O'hana breakfast.

Thanks!!

13 11

Last edited by momw/2princesses; 03-20-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added another question
momw/2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Pretty much every resort CS other than CSR (I don't know if they do them or not) and AoA (they do Nemo waffles) can make Mickey waffles. Most Disney owned TS restaurants that serve breakfast can also do Mickey waffles with the exception of CRT, Crystal Palace and Akershus I think.

Pretty much every resort CS other than CSR and AoA has the allergy chicken tenders. In MK you can get them at Columbia Harbour House. In Epcot you can get them at Electric Umbrella and in the American Pavillion in the World Showcase. In AK I'm really not sure if you can get them anywhere or not; we always eat either TS at Tusker House or CS at Flame Tree BBQ and they don't have them at either of those. In DHS I think they have them at most CS locations that are full CS rather than just a window with the exception of Starring Rolls. Most Disney owned TS restaurants also have the allergy tenders, though now that I think about it, I'm not so sure they do in MK. LTT and the Plaza didn't have them when I asked. When we ate at Tony's we wanted the spaghetti with meatballs so I didn't ask and it's been ages since we ate at CRT or CP.

I really don't know where they have the mac & cheese since my kids and I can't eat it due to other allergies.

We LOVE the Polynesian and 'Ohana for breakfast is great. At 'Ohana she'll get fruit, Mickey waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage and breakfast potatoes. When we stay at Poly we really don't eat often in Captain Cook's but when we do they've taken great care of us. We always get the chicken tenders with fries at least once but we've in the past been able to get grilled cheese, hamburgers and an asian noodle bowl. If it's something she likes, Kona Island Sushi Bar makes some really nice sushi and they do have San-J GF tamari which is what they used in the asian noodle bowl (the chef said he actually cooked it in Kona's kitchen but brought it down to us at Captain Cook's). Kona's also always been good. I really enjoyed my Tonga "sliders" which was the version of Tonga Toast that the chef came up with for me.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
momw/2princesses
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for your quick response. I'm glad that I'll be able to reassure her!

Anyone else? Anyone have GF mac & cheese?

13 11
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
primrosea
Mouseketeer

We gave been as both regular diners and gluten free and have found many of our children's favorite Disney dishes gluten free. The chicken fingers are amazing and can be found almost everywhere. We loved them and my kids ask why I can't make them they good at home!

O'hanas breakfast is a must do for our family and we get just as much enjoyment put of it gluten free as we did beforehand. There are many options there and the gluten Free Mickey waffles are amazing, hot, fresh and plentiful. The only thing we couldn't have was the bread and they gave us extra fruit as a replacement. Yum!!!!
Pop~October 2012

AoALM~October-November 2012
Port Orleans Riverside~October 2013
POFQ~December 2014

http://livingontheprimrosepath.blogspot.com/ LETS TALK GLUTEN FREE DISNEY
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Pretty much every resort CS other than CSR (I don't know if they do them or not) and AoA (they do Nemo waffles) can make Mickey waffles. Most Disney owned TS restaurants that serve breakfast can also do Mickey waffles with the exception of CRT, Crystal Palace and Akershus I think.

Pretty much every resort CS other than CSR and AoA has the allergy chicken tenders. In MK you can get them at Columbia Harbour House. In Epcot you can get them at Electric Umbrella and in the American Pavillion in the World Showcase. In AK I'm really not sure if you can get them anywhere or not; we always eat either TS at Tusker House or CS at Flame Tree BBQ and they don't have them at either of those. In DHS I think they have them at most CS locations that are full CS rather than just a window with the exception of Starring Rolls. Most Disney owned TS restaurants also have the allergy tenders, though now that I think about it, I'm not so sure they do in MK. LTT and the Plaza didn't have them when I asked. When we ate at Tony's we wanted the spaghetti with meatballs so I didn't ask and it's been ages since we ate at CRT or CP.

I really don't know where they have the mac & cheese since my kids and I can't eat it due to other allergies.

We LOVE the Polynesian and 'Ohana for breakfast is great. At 'Ohana she'll get fruit, Mickey waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage and breakfast potatoes. When we stay at Poly we really don't eat often in Captain Cook's but when we do they've taken great care of us. We always get the chicken tenders with fries at least once but we've in the past been able to get grilled cheese, hamburgers and an asian noodle bowl. If it's something she likes, Kona Island Sushi Bar makes some really nice sushi and they do have San-J GF tamari which is what they used in the asian noodle bowl (the chef said he actually cooked it in Kona's kitchen but brought it down to us at Captain Cook's). Kona's also always been good. I really enjoyed my Tonga "sliders" which was the version of Tonga Toast that the chef came up with for me.
How did you get Nemo waffles at AoA? They made Mickey waffles when I was there last year. That would have have been so cool. CP serves Van's waffles, nothing special there.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Ninja View Post
How did you get Nemo waffles at AoA? They made Mickey waffles when I was there last year. That would have have been so cool. CP serves Van's waffles, nothing special there.
In August, the small sized waffle maker that they had for allergies made round waffles with Nemo character impressions. They didn't have any waffle makers that could do the Mickey ones. If they're now doing the Mickey ones then they wouldn't be able to do the Nemo ones. Interesting.

When we first arrived, the large waffles were big Mickeys but by the end of our trip they had replaced the big allergy waffle makers with round ones. I don't know why but that's what they had.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
antree
DIS Veteran

I know my mother has had the GF Mac and Cheese at the electric Umbrella in Epcot. Any counter service you go to just ask what they have. Youll be surprised how much Disney can do for you. My mother is Gluten Free and my son is Peanut and Tree Nut allergic, and we never have a problem with any of the allergies while at Disney.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
momw/2princesses
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies! I feel encouraged that she'll be able to eat well and have some treats!!

13 11
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

I've been gluten free for over 20 years, and I find Disney the absolute easiest place to eat. They do pretty much everything gluten free, and everyone knows what it means and what does and doesn't have it. Even many, many years ago (when I was a little kid, before anyone had heard of it) they did everything they could to make me happy gluten free. But now you can get a version of almost everything gluten free. There are buns, pasta, chicken fingers, desserts, etc etc. Your daughter will be plenty happy! No more eating burgers without the bun and plain fruit.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

I am pretty sure we saw GF mac and cheese at Columbia Harbor House in MK and Backlot Express at HS.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: