Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

Before/After cruise – WWYD?

It seems like different people have different preferences but this is what I’m looking at:

First DCL cruise, first 7 night cruise, first cruise with kids (ages 8 and 6) We live in Arizona so we do DLR frequently but will not have been to WDW in about 18 months at the time of our cruise (likely have a trip planned for 6 months later). We are also DVC owners. Our cruise is a year away but if we want to book home resort for a night before / after – I am only a month away from that.

(1) For that Friday night – the Hyatt at MCO sounds smart if you get in late and want to be at the terminal early in the morning. I’m wondering if we will be up late and wanting to sleep in a little (as our bodies will be 3 hours off)? Flying in that direction we will likely land around 4 or 5 pm. Also wondering if we won’t get an early PAT time anyway b/c we will be the last group to book/request that (being our first cruise)? DH would much rather sleep in, get to the terminal later and not have a huge wait there. This is probably b/c we haven’t cruised DCL before and don’t know what we are missing… We aren’t AP’s so we wouldn’t hit the parks that morning, but it does allow us to book a resort ADR and possibly watch fireworks from the beach Friday night or something like that? Wander DTD?

(2) After the cruise, how long does it take to get off the ship and back to WDW or the airport? Is an 11:30 am flight asking for trouble? The idea of having a 5 pm flight and having to find something to do but knowing we had to get back to the airport, and not having a hotel room – sort of stresses me out. Maybe I plan on making that a day to hang out at a resort, enjoy the pool, ease the transition, and fly home Sunday? And since this is a DIS board – and you are all Disney crazies – have you been able to stay at a WDW resort, have more than 24 hours there, and not go to a park??? Maybe we do a water park (which my kids love) but may be overkill after the cruise? Are we better off just heading home and having a day to do laundry/relax before back to work/school Monday? I have heard it eases the pain of getting off the ship knowing you are heading to WDW…

(3) Final question – if you do book a WDW resort, which one? SSR to wander DTD? BLT to watch fireworks and eat along the monorail (no rental car)? Boardwalk area? Can you see Illuminations from back there? And I can obviously book a different resort for the before or after?

Thanks is advance – all advice is appreciated!

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

I see on your ticker you are heading to Aulani!!! You will LOVEEEEEEE it!! Have a great time!
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

I would NEVER do WDW AFTER DCL. All the relaxation you got during those days goes out the window.

Do the mad rush first, then go relax...
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkpark View Post
It seems like different people have different preferences but this is what Im looking at:

First DCL cruise, first 7 night cruise, first cruise with kids (ages 8 and 6) We live in Arizona so we do DLR frequently but will not have been to WDW in about 18 months at the time of our cruise (likely have a trip planned for 6 months later). We are also DVC owners. Our cruise is a year away but if we want to book home resort for a night before / after I am only a month away from that.

(1) For that Friday night the Hyatt at MCO sounds smart if you get in late and want to be at the terminal early in the morning. Im wondering if we will be up late and wanting to sleep in a little (as our bodies will be 3 hours off)? Flying in that direction we will likely land around 4 or 5 pm. Also wondering if we wont get an early PAT time anyway b/c we will be the last group to book/request that (being our first cruise)? DH would much rather sleep in, get to the terminal later and not have a huge wait there. This is probably b/c we havent cruised DCL before and dont know what we are missing& We arent APs so we wouldnt hit the parks that morning, but it does allow us to book a resort ADR and possibly watch fireworks from the beach Friday night or something like that? Wander DTD?

(2) After the cruise, how long does it take to get off the ship and back to WDW or the airport? Is an 11:30 am flight asking for trouble? The idea of having a 5 pm flight and having to find something to do but knowing we had to get back to the airport, and not having a hotel room sort of stresses me out. Maybe I plan on making that a day to hang out at a resort, enjoy the pool, ease the transition, and fly home Sunday? And since this is a DIS board and you are all Disney crazies have you been able to stay at a WDW resort, have more than 24 hours there, and not go to a park??? Maybe we do a water park (which my kids love) but may be overkill after the cruise? Are we better off just heading home and having a day to do laundry/relax before back to work/school Monday? I have heard it eases the pain of getting off the ship knowing you are heading to WDW&

(3) Final question if you do book a WDW resort, which one? SSR to wander DTD? BLT to watch fireworks and eat along the monorail (no rental car)? Boardwalk area? Can you see Illuminations from back there? And I can obviously book a different resort for the before or after?

Thanks is advance all advice is appreciated!
We're DVC too, so we usually (when we don't have APs):

1. Stay pre-cruise @ BWV. Yes you can see Illuminations, though not well. Maybe BC for the pool. AKV for animals. If you're not doing WDW first, I'd suggest staying closer to MK (at BLT or VWL) and taking the boat over to watch fireworks at a restaurant, etc. Once we did Narcoossee's, and watched it from our dinner table. Once we did 1900 Park Fare and then watched it on our way out.

2. WDW first, then cruise

3. Post cruise --- character breakfast at Ohana (cheapest), then hang out at Poly. Drive to airport at 3pm. Flight out is usually 6pm or 7pm.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: