Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
We had the same problem at LM last Friday. Sign said 30 minutes but it was actually an hour and 30 minutes. You can't tell how long the line is because alot of it is hidden from the outside. This was the only time we've ever had this problem. Maybe there's something wrong with that ride's timecard reader?
That was the day we were there! If you were one of the unfortunate people who had to put up with my daughter screaming as we left the line, I am SO sorry!!! The line is deceiving - but then, most of them are. You cannot see that there are multiple rooms that you go through. Since this was our first trip since NFL was completed, I had NO idea what the queue area was like. If I had known how much of it was hidden from view AND where the line was forming when we got in, we probably would have skipped it.

Since I now know that ride CMs can't adjust the wait time, are they permitted to give guests a heads up? The helpful CM up front heard us discussing whether or not to get in line, couldn't he have chimed in with something of a warning?

I get the whole FP thing, and trust me - we used the heck out of both that system and the rider swap tickets (we may not be returning until my youngest has gotten tall enough to ride most of the rides though . . . she LOVES her thrill rides and was NOT happy to be left behind!**) There were no large groups of FP returners and like I said earlier, there were plenty of red timers going through the line in front of and behind us. I'm just so glad that was our last ride of the day and we had nowhere else to be. I shudder at the thought of what would have happened had we had to leave the line for good without riding it. I'm pretty good at averting a tantrum most of the time but all my tricks wouldn't have saved that night!

** My BIL got a cute video of my daughter singing a song about being left behind while Mommy rides the rides. It went something like "baby swap, momma makes me wait, baby swap, mommy gets to ride . . . BARN STORMER . . . no baby swap for that, baby swap, momma makes me wait . . . "
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Or, even a gruntled one.
That's an even worse kind of employee. I try very hard not to get gruntled.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #33
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
It sure seems that standby times are less accurate in recent months, judging by the number of times it is coming up here. WDW needs to improve this. "
So, it's not just my family. I was beginning to feel a bit paranoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Yep. I really don't recall seeing all these reports about wildly inaccurate wait times back before the change to fastpass enforcement.
"Enhancement"..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
I am very worried about the fast pass plus system, because there have been MANY times when we've missed our fast pass window due to an inaccurate wait time at another ride (one that said 20 min but ended up being over an hour, and such). I don't mind these hiccups, but I do mind now that you can't eat anywhere without having made a reservation six months in advance! How much worse will it be when you have to pay for fast passes? I really miss the days of just wandering the parks, getting on rides as you encountered them, and popping in to a character meal when your feet got tired. Disney shouldn't be stressful!
Supposedly, we should anticipate every scenario and not pull a FP. t's the guest fault.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

It seems that there is no pleasing anyone. People are mad because of FP enforcement times. Others are mad because they can't come late with their FPs. Some are mad because FPs just exist. And still others are mad because the stand by line times aren't accurate enough. No wonder there are so many meltdowns at WDW.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post

That was the day we were there! If you were one of the unfortunate people who had to put up with my daughter screaming as we left the line, I am SO sorry!!! The line is deceiving - but then, most of them are. You cannot see that there are multiple rooms that you go through. Since this was our first trip since NFL was completed, I had NO idea what the queue area was like. If I had known how much of it was hidden from view AND where the line was forming when we got in, we probably would have skipped it.

Since I now know that ride CMs can't adjust the wait time, are they permitted to give guests a heads up? The helpful CM up front heard us discussing whether or not to get in line, couldn't he have chimed in with something of a warning?

I get the whole FP thing, and trust me - we used the heck out of both that system and the rider swap tickets (we may not be returning until my youngest has gotten tall enough to ride most of the rides though . . . she LOVES her thrill rides and was NOT happy to be left behind!**) There were no large groups of FP returners and like I said earlier, there were plenty of red timers going through the line in front of and behind us. I'm just so glad that was our last ride of the day and we had nowhere else to be. I shudder at the thought of what would have happened had we had to leave the line for good without riding it. I'm pretty good at averting a tantrum most of the time but all my tricks wouldn't have saved that night!

** My BIL got a cute video of my daughter singing a song about being left behind while Mommy rides the rides. It went something like "baby swap, momma makes me wait, baby swap, mommy gets to ride . . . BARN STORMER . . . no baby swap for that, baby swap, momma makes me wait . . . "
They can if they know how the wait time is running. They just don't always know either.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #36
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
It seems that there is no pleasing anyone. People are mad because of FP enforcement times. Others are mad because they can't come late with their FPs. Some are mad because FPs just exist. And still others are mad because the stand by line times aren't accurate enough. No wonder there are so many meltdowns at WDW.
Not mad, just exteremly frustrated. The guests are expected to be prompt and efficient, but Disney is blameless. We get charged and/or lose our T'S ressie, if we aren't timely. We are supposed to factor in broke rides, inaccurate wait times, extend waits for ADRs, slow meal service, etc. and, if we can't...don't pull a FP.

FP wasn't enforced because latecomers clogged lines. Just wait for it..soon we'll be on our knees, begging to pay for the privilege.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #37
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Not mad, just exteremly frustrated. The guests are expected to be prompt and efficient, but Disney is blameless. We get charged and/or lose our T'S ressie, if we aren't timely. We are supposed to factor in broke rides, inaccurate wait times, extend waits for ADRs, slow meal service, etc. and, if we can't...don't pull a FP.

FP wasn't enforced because latecomers clogged lines. Just wait for it..soon we'll be on our knees, begging to pay for the privilege.
I know that, but i also know what was posted here in several heated discussions.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
I know that, but i also know what was posted here in several heated discussions.
Gotcha.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Just wait for it..soon we'll be on our knees, begging to pay for the privilege.
Surely not....... I mean.... what are the odds?
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #40
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

From these forums you would have thought half the line would have physically blocked you from joining your bil, half would have started a chant of cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater and half would have punched you out right there in line.

That's what they claim, anyway.

Still sorry you had that experience. At least it sounds like overall you had a good trip.
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #41
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerBouncy View Post

Still sorry you had that experience. At least it sounds like overall you had a good trip.
Oh we did! The ONLY thing that I didn't get to do was Space Mountain. I have been to MK 6 times and have never been able to ride . . . I swore that THIS trip I would get on it come heck or high water. Well, our first day at MK my oldest had an absolute melt down (not all his fault, the poor kid was sick) and I took him out of the park and back to the hotel so that he could rest. My husband and BIL got FPs/baby swap and did the ride twice. I have a bad back (so much better since we got a new mattress though!) and my husband told me that it would mess my back up if I went on the ride.

We went back that evening minus my husband and I didn't feel like making the kids wait again. Fast forward to our last day and we head to the MK again. My husband begged me not to ride SM and I caved to him and didn't go. We still had a blast though!
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #42
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
As Robo says: stuff happens.

I usually judge a line based on what it looks like rather than what it's posted (if you can see the line that is!) The red cards are iffy, like, if the wait time is posted at five minutes, and they give a red card at the entrance, that card could still take an hour to reach the front, and during that hour the wait time is still posted at five minutes.

We had a couple situations like this where one was Space Mtn and we decided to eventually leave the line, and another was getting into the princesses. We walked straight into the blue room right before you go in and ended up waiting over an hour in there with a posted wait of twenty minutes, that of course is a little different as meet and greets are a little harder to control, and it was the very end of the night, BUT, still super annoying to deal with!
Exactly, I was with friends who wanted to ride RnR. I went on the line because it said 20 minutes and that would be enough time to ride and get back home to get my kid off the bus. But after waiting in the line for about 10 minutes I realized where I actually was in the line, I left the line because there was no way that I was going to be actually on the line 10 minutes. After you've ridden the ride, you can make some educated guesses about the wait time but you still have to be flexible.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
I really miss the days of just wandering the parks, getting on rides as you encountered them, and popping in to a character meal when your feet got tired. Disney shouldn't be stressful!
We should probably stop talking positively about Disney then, to keep all those other pesky people away.

Quote:
I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed.
It is. But they have to get to the end CM before they are counted.

Quote:
It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.
If they were in front of you, well, you still weren't at the front when you had the conversation with the CM. So those hadn't made it to the end CM yet. And of course it's the same for the cards behind you.

And you don't know how many of them were pocketed as "what're these for?" souvenirs or dropped or whatever.

I always assume that the time estimate has changed while I'm IN the line, if it's different like that.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh we did! The ONLY thing that I didn't get to do was Space Mountain. I have been to MK 6 times and have never been able to ride . . . I swore that THIS trip I would get on it come heck or high water. Well, our first day at MK my oldest had an absolute melt down (not all his fault, the poor kid was sick) and I took him out of the park and back to the hotel so that he could rest. My husband and BIL got FPs/baby swap and did the ride twice. I have a bad back (so much better since we got a new mattress though!) and my husband told me that it would mess my back up if I went on the ride.

We went back that evening minus my husband and I didn't feel like making the kids wait again. Fast forward to our last day and we head to the MK again. My husband begged me not to ride SM and I caved to him and didn't go. We still had a blast though!
He made a good call. I have a strong, good spine and it messes me up terribly. It's a rotten ride for adult spines. Wait until you can head west and ride Disneyland's version; drastically different ride, smoothness, and even ride vehicle. You'll like that one. Leave MK's alone with your bad back.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #45
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Surely not....... I mean.... what are the odds?
Well, it could just be my cynical, wildly speculative, uneducated opinion. But, nah...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: