Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #1321
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
We got to do the adult flubber class on the 3 night DVC member cruise in January, it was an absolute hoot!! The guy they had conducting the class so funny we were almost literally ROTFL.
I wanted to do that on one of the TA's we took but it just never worked out! Definitely on my to-do list this time
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #1322
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

Quote:
We got to do the adult flubber class on the 3 night DVC member cruise in January, it was an absolute hoot!! The guy they had conducting the class so funny we were almost literally ROTFL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty & the Best View Post
I wanted to do that on one of the TA's we took but it just never worked out! Definitely on my to-do list this time
Oh, I'd love to do that too! Of our cruises so far, it was only offered on the 11-night Med, and I fell asleep in my cabin before it even started.

Yeah, I know, these childless couples and their boundless energy for partying the night away!

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)
2015: Eastbound Transatlantic (Magic, 15 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #1323
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
How often do they charge you for the corkage? $25 local + $20 corkage = $45 a bottle. Premium Wine package for 7 nights = ~$42 a bottle. If the corkage fee is pretty regular, I'd rather not haul bottles of wine with me along with day stuff for four AND a diaper bag.

The Coke Zero's a good idea for my DH, though.
We've never had to pay a corkage fee ... it does not may financial sense. I am not sure how much of the fee goes to the servers, and how much goes to DCL (I never asked). Since we are Platinum, we get a bottle of Sparkling Wine are a gift from DCL. We usually bring that to Palo with us. Most servers know the wines offered as a gift, and do not charge a corkage fee. It's always good when you request a server you've had before. That aside, we always make sure we leave generous gratuity. We had the same Palo server on the Fantasy (Maiden Voyage, plus December 2012) ... we left a $40 tip for the two of us.

For the Main Dining Rooms ... if we do not have a server we have had in the past, we ask about the corkage. If it's one bottle ... they can sometimes "forget" to charge you ... but I always ask in advance. Again, I'd prefer to give them a tip for their service. Not charging for corkage seems to work best when the sparkling wine / champagne was purchased from the ship (the DCL gift shops will let you take sparkling wine and champagne with you after purchase ... they do not hold it until the last day of the cruise).

I agree ... $25 + $20 does not make financial sense, especially if we can buy the package for about the same price. For 7 night cruises, we usually bring 2-3 bottles onboard for 4 adults (for consumption in our stateroom). For the longer cruises, we figure on 1 bottle per sea day for 4 adults (to be consumed in out stateroom). We will likely ask our MDR servers about corkage fees on the 1st or 2nd night (perhaps for one or two bottles during the entire cruise). We do not expect them to work for nothing, and we respect their ability to earn $ for their services. We also do not want to risk any issues with DCL, as we recognize DCL has a fairly liberal alcohol policy.
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #1324
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaopolis View Post
Do they have Coke Zero onboard? I've been trying to quit sodas all together, but I sneak a Coke Zero from time to time.
Only Sprite Zero on the ships. A cruise-friend of ours is diabetic ... and prefers Coke Zero over Sprite Zero. For longer cruises, we pick up one case. For 7-day cruises, we pick up two 6-packs of resealable bottles. In a pinch, Sprite Zero works fine. As for me, I'm a Pepsi guy ... so I drink a lot of ice-tea on DCL.

If we have access to pick up water locally before embarkation, we will do that. If it's just my DW and me ... we usually do not drink it all ... and tend to give some to DIS-friends while going on excursions.

Steven
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #1325
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchel View Post

How does this work??
If you notice your flight has gone down in price, you can just exchange it in online. The amount left over will stay with the old confermation number and the money left over must be used for travel that will be completed by the original purchase date.

Quote:

I have done this a few times. You can totally tell the CM's in the lab were so into it cause they got to break out and do some very adult humor and let loose. I had a blast the few times I have done it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #1326
kbishop2013
Earning My Ears

Feeling the guilt. Just contacted the school to let them know that the kids will be out of school for the entire month of May (we are doing a week in Fla before and a week in LA after). To say that the District will disapprove will be an understatement. Has anyone else had this experience? How did you/the school handle it?
kbishop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #1327
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post

Yeah, I know, these childless couples and their boundless energy for partying the night away!
That's us. Well me anyway. I typically close down Wavebands every night. I just sit or stand at the bar and enjoy the music. In the past when I have cruised with friends, we have been known to go get a bottle of whatever out of our rooms and meet at the soda machines after Wavebands closes to make our own drinks and chill out.

DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1328
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishop2013 View Post
Feeling the guilt. Just contacted the school to let them know that the kids will be out of school for the entire month of May (we are doing a week in Fla before and a week in LA after). To say that the District will disapprove will be an understatement. Has anyone else had this experience? How did you/the school handle it?
We had friends that wanted to do this cruise, but the school that our friends 15YO goes to said they would not let her go and maybe held back if they went against the schools wishes. Be careful.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1329
MontanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't have any great wisdom to share, but I talked to our DD's teacher in advance about what her thoughts were on the situation and she worked with us to come up with a plan. Since she was on board, we haven't had an issue. Perhaps talking with the teachers would help?
MontanaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #1330
Jackson's grammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Its probably because its an entire month. How old are the kids?
Jackson's grammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #1331
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You may have to withdraw them and then re-enroll them when you return. The danger is that you may not be able to re-enroll if your school if full, if you are in a magnet school, if you have registration deadlines, etc.

If the school is willing to work with you on assignments, that is best and then who cares what the district says.

There really may be no other way. In our district, to miss more than 10 days for any reason, even illness, triggers reports to the district, and than at 15 days missed I believe you have to meet with the district to develop a plan. This is even for 15 days throughout the year. When I brought my daughter back after missing TWO days they asked if I was withdrawing from the school! I think it is becoming common to withdraw and then re-enroll, even if a week is missed.

If you withdraw, you may have to set up for homeschooling even if you are doing the assignments from their current classes. Some states require it for more than 2 weeks break between schools.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #1332
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCTigger View Post
You will recognize us, I am 6'1" and DH is 5'7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post
He's pretty easy to spot in a crowd, since he's 6' 4"
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPheronsLoveDisney View Post
My hubby is 6'8".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmh View Post
mine is 6'6" and his cousin who is sailing with us is also over 6'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty & the Best View Post
My husband is also part of that club, he is 6'4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCTigger View Post
My dad will be part of this group as well. our boys are 6'2 & 6'0!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosGram View Post
Sounds like there will be a lot of tall men (my DH is 6'4" too) and some short women (I'm 5'2").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Princess View Post
Count my Husband in the Tall Club too----6'5" ! Then there's lil' old Me, just 5"2" and eyes of blue !!!
Add DH and I to this list - he's 6'5" and I'm 5'3".

I can imagine a National Geographic-type voice over..."And it is in early May when the taller members of the species gather their shorter spouses and form a travel group for the migration from East to West. They travel as a pack, heading south to cross through the Panama Canal before following the coastline back north to California, when the traveling group then breaks up to return to their respective homes..."

Sorry, all...I have been quietly lurking for some time. There have been some big, negative developments on the home front lately, that I'd rather not get into. The good news is, none of them will impact our travel plans, so we will be using this trip as a mind-clearing exercise when we don't think about anything except our next Mickey bar!

Very much looking forward to meeting everyone on board. Not much longer now!

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #1333
kbishop2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's grammie View Post

Its probably because its an entire month. How old are the kids?
Kids are 7 (1st grade), and 10 (4th grade).
I sent the email full of apologies and virtues of travel. And to complicate matters, both have an IEP (for speech and fine motor skills).

Oh well. will know shortly how they will approach it. On our side Is that it is the end of the year, and the teachers are working with us. Against us is this school is packed full and highly coveted in our district.

Fingers crossed.
kbishop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #1334
DVCTigger
DIS Veteran

Wow, it looks like I will be towering over all my lady friends I guess I just won't stand too much!
DVCTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #1335
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

My hubby and I are in the miniature golf category!!

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: