Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #241
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

[Continued from Previous Post]

This Disneyland guide book was produced at a loss profit-wise. I can’t remember the price for the book, but it was ridiculously low priced. Walt’s business folks couldn’t understand why he would produce a book like this that cost him money, and sell it at a loss. He sold thousands of them, and why? Because every family who took home one of these books was going to show it to all their friends and talk about what a wonderful time that they had a Disneyland. It was better advertising than he could buy. Walt was smart like that.

This was another one of those books. I think the gist of the previous book, was that he had to have them ready on opening day, but there was no park to take pictures of and include in the book. Even with just artists renderings, the books sold out quickly. I guess this was the next one and now they had photos to use.

Here is a ticket book from the Magic Kingdom in Florida.

Roy Disney’s park entrance pass

An Epcot entrance ticket

I believe that this was Dave Smith’s new book.

He showed us some Mary Blair artwork

And some Marc Davis

He had some original cels

And other concept art and sketches

[Continued in Next Post]
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #242
franandaj

[Continued from Previous Post]

Then he just let us wander around the room and check things out for about 10-15 minutes until the next group was ready to come in.

These were some of the many awards received by the Disney company

As you probably know, Walt really loved trains so these were a few pieces of train memorabilia

This is the passport that he used to go to serve in World War 1 in France

We got the chance to pose with this Oscar

Some more of Mary Blair’s art work from the WWII years.

I remember my mother reading me bedtime stories from these books as a child. They were always my favorite!

And with that our portion of the Archives tour was over. The next group was ready to come in, so we went back out to wait. I’ll be back with more later.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #243
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

OMG this was an awesome tour, I'd love to see all of those archives! Very cute pic of you with the Oscar too.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #244
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Just wow! When I saw the Oscar I couldn't believe you were all so close to an Oscar and then you got to pose with it? Holy chills!

Great update. I wish I'd kept the numerous booklets etc from my childhood. My dad would take me weekly and every time I'd get something. Guess that's why I keep everything now.

The artwork is phenomenal.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #245
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

What a great tour. You got to meet Dave Smith which was a great treat and showing all of the treasures is amazing. I really like all the books and tickets that he showed during the tour.

This is just getting me all excited to do the tour in early May.

Very nice update.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #246
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

OMG! I've just died and gone to DisneyHeaven. What an amazing tour and I love LOVE LOVE that you got to hold an Oscar.

Those archives are just A-mazing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #247
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
OMG this was an awesome tour, I'd love to see all of those archives! Very cute pic of you with the Oscar too.
It was awesome, probably our group got to do the best part of the afternoon tours first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Just wow! When I saw the Oscar I couldn't believe you were all so close to an Oscar and then you got to pose with it? Holy chills!

Great update. I wish I'd kept the numerous booklets etc from my childhood. My dad would take me weekly and every time I'd get something. Guess that's why I keep everything now.

The artwork is phenomenal.
I know, at the time I didn't really even think about how cool it was that we got to hold the oscar, after that weekend everything was surreal. Looking back it was really pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
What a great tour. You got to meet Dave Smith which was a great treat and showing all of the treasures is amazing. I really like all the books and tickets that he showed during the tour.

This is just getting me all excited to do the tour in early May.

Very nice update.
I hope that you two enjoy your tour in May!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
OMG! I've just died and gone to DisneyHeaven. What an amazing tour and I love LOVE LOVE that you got to hold an Oscar.

Those archives are just A-mazing.
I know, it was really cool! I hope that the rest of the tour lives up to the first part of our afternoon.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #248
franandaj

Now this was kind of a strange part of the tour. No one really told us what was going on and we sat around waiting for what seemed like a very long time. I guess the next place we were touring was very small and they could only fit half the group in there at a time, so we waited in the lobby near the Starbucks. I took these pictures of the stuff on display while we waited.

The multiplane camera

Some other random displays

Then we were off to the Ink and Paint department.

This woman explained to us how the animators would communicate the color palette that they wanted for the character that was being painted.

This drawing indicates the colors that are to be painted. They use numbers to indicate the hue, and in the example the colors are not at all similar to the colors that they want used so that each section is easily differentiated.

This drawing indicates the ink colors for the lines in the drawing

This is the finished painted and inked cel

Then we moved on to the section where they actually mix the paints.

This gentleman showed us the high tech gadget that they use to keep track of the various colors.

Truthfully, I don’t remember a lot of what he said in here, so just enjoy the pretty colors of paint.

Then we moved on to a room where they had one person doing the ink and one person doing paint. This guy is doing the ink.

See the dark lines he draws to reinforce the outline of the character.

You can see in this picture how the ink lines really define the outline and shapes.

After a lengthy demonstration and explanation we moved to the woman on the other side of the desk who was doing the paint portion. See the chart on the left which indicates which sections should be which shades.

She fills in the cell with the paint. Again she explained her process and demonstrated it for us.

Then we went to yet another room where a gentleman demonstrated for us how something transparent such as tinkerbell’s wings are airbrushed onto the cell. Here he has covered the cell with a plastic sheet with the wing cut out. That way only the shape of the wing will actually be painted on to the cell.

He did this twice (because she has two wings), carefully rotating the film cut out so that the wings were each at the correct angle.

He showed us this picture of the Blue Fairy, and explained that the same process was used to create her wings as well.

And that concluded the “Ink and Paint” portion of our tour for that day….where did we go next?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #249
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Truly illuminating! That is such a fascinating part of the tour, Alison. I'd never given the inking process much thought but it seems like there is quite a great deal behind getting the right colour palette and completely making the character come to life!

Hmmm......Did you head to the gift shop next???

(Maybe the sound room???)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #250
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

The colors are what make Disney items so special.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #251
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

That is very interesting to hear about how the Animators use so many different colors for the cel animation.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #252
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Wow Wow Wow! I'm loving everything! Your concert sounded amazing. I'd definitely have tears as well. And your tour is way too cool. Can't believe you got to hold an Oscar. I love all that memorabilia. Donald sure had a lot of food items

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #253
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Remarkable. Ink + paint = teamwork. Wow, very informative. And I really like all of the pretty paint colors. I never realized how much work goes into a single concept.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #254
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Truly illuminating! That is such a fascinating part of the tour, Alison. I'd never given the inking process much thought but it seems like there is quite a great deal behind getting the right colour palette and completely making the character come to life!

Hmmm......Did you head to the gift shop next???

(Maybe the sound room???)
I know, watching these people made me realize just how much work went into one Disney film, even the shorts. Part of me is thankful for computer animation, but I'm also glad that they have gone back to hand drawn animation. I think though that they have tools now that don't require manual ink and paint. The folks there did mention that they only did this for special things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
The colors are what make Disney items so special.
I know, isn't that so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
That is very interesting to hear about how the Animators use so many different colors for the cel animation.
Especially how particular they were on the shades, it's fascinating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Wow Wow Wow! I'm loving everything! Your concert sounded amazing. I'd definitely have tears as well. And your tour is way too cool. Can't believe you got to hold an Oscar. I love all that memorabilia. Donald sure had a lot of food items
I've never been a star struck person so holding the Oscar wasn't as big a thrill at the time as now when I'm looking back on it. I don't think I'll ever have another opportunity to pose with one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Remarkable. Ink + paint = teamwork. Wow, very informative. And I really like all of the pretty paint colors. I never realized how much work goes into a single concept.
It was eye awakening to me too. I can't believe they made so many movies that way. The saddest part is that the film for the cels was so expensive that a lot of the ones from Snow White and the early pictures were washed away to be reused since the studio really didn't have a lot of money. Nobody likes to talk about that part.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #255
franandaj

Our next presentation was on the restoration of older animated features, the challenges that they face and some education on the process of creating the film.

This slide represents the timeline for the restoration process of the Disney materials.

They explained a lot about the various processes in filmmaking, and what a breakthrough Technicolor was to the industry. I, however, remember almost none of what they said!

OK, now I remember, Technicolor is the one that used three filmstrips to create the colors, red, blue and green.

I believe this photo demonstrates the degradation of the film, notice the greenish or blueish tinges on the picture. That is when each color of film shortens at a different rate than the others.

This is a photo from the screening room, not sure which Disney studio it was (the first one or the one in Burbank).

Nitrate is highly flammable and needs to be stored at very climate controlled conditions.

This is how the concept of Technicolor works. The three images in Red, Green and Blue are combined through a special projection camera and recombined back on the screen.

UB Iwerks is credited with developing the process where live action and animation are combined as in Song of the South. Herbert Kalmus was co founder and President of the Technicolor Motion Picture Corporation.

OK, I did a google search and got my best explanation for this slide.

Sequential Exposure (SE)

The original three-strip Technicolor process utilized three-color records to create a single color image. Rather than use this three-strip Technicolor method, which used three separate pieces of film, Disney pioneered a method of recording the components of color images, successively on a single strip of black and white film. This method places the three-color records in succession (next to each other). So each single color frame that you see on screen is in fact a “triple exposure” of the three successive frames of negative. This method is ideally suited to filming animation which shoots individual frames, as opposed to the bulky “3-strip” cameras that are designed to move films at 90 feet per minute (at 24 frames per second)

Instead of having three Y-C-M (actually captured as Red-Green-Blue) linear records (three rolls of film), an SE negative can best be described as: Y1-C1-M1-Y2-M2-C2-Y3-C3-M3 and so on (albeit through RGB filters). This means that the linear length of an SE negative is three times that of the print that it generates.

The two key advantages to shooting SE as opposed to three-strip photography is that the optical path is far simpler resulting in a single focal plane for each frame, and the alignment of frames back into color from a single strip of film as opposed to three separate records is far easier and considerably more accurate, especially when working with negatives that could be as much as 80 years old.

Digital Files Scanned to Film for Long Term Preservation
Once scanned, this digital data was compared against the best-preserved picture print of the same title, to make sure that all the frames were preserved within the digital file. Once the digital image data was verified, a new Black and White/Successive Exposure (SE) negative was created from the scanned data by the Disney Digital Studio Services Film and Digital Services Department.

The Disney Digital Studio Services Film and Digital Services group has been hard at work creating SE negatives of not just our historical library, but also has employed the SE process as an important aspect of the Studio’s long-term archive strategy for films that have been finished digitally. The digital image data is separated into the digital equivalent of the film Yellow, Cyan and Magenta “records” for output onto a single piece of black and white negative film using a Laser Film Recorder. Just as in the original film process, in the digital SE process, each color record is written using an laser in succession onto black and white negative stock. What makes this process so important to our archive strategy is that that this single continuous strand of black and white stock, when properly stored, has proven to last over 100 years. There is not any digital media storage format that currently holds this same promise, and thus, the ability to convert our aging and deteriorating Nitrate film as well as our currently digitally finished motion pictures to a single stand of black and white

Hopefully these next two slides are self explanatory.

I assume this is the cleaned up slide.

Hopefully this is self explanatory.

This slide shows how the restoration process improves the quality of the film.

All of these films take quite a bit of time to restore.

They also talked about the restoration of the black and white film. I’m not sure exactly why they showed these shots, but they’re cool.

This is what happens to nitrate film if it’s not stored properly.

Here is a picture from the place where they store the film now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: