Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #136
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
No, they haven't ~ yet.

I think most people that are familiar with Disney realize the end of of EMH is coming with the advent of FP+ and the Magic Bands.
Where are you getting that from? That is a conclusion that has been jumped to. No word on that from Disney.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #137
MASKED MANIAC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
Better quality pools and closer to the parks and for the most part better food and safer....
MASKED MANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #138
twoplustwins
DIS Veteran

As much as we have enjoyed staying onsite in the past, now that we are a family of six, there is not an economical way for us to do that any longer. We can stay at Bonnet Creek for $120 a night and have space to spread out. Having a washer and dryer is such a plus!!
twoplustwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #139
CupcakeKelly
This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

FWIW, I'm pretty sure 'gutted' is a slang term that is similar to 'crushed' or 'severely bummed out'
CupcakeKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #140
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeKelly View Post
FWIW, I'm pretty sure 'gutted' is a slang term that is similar to 'crushed' or 'severely bummed out'
Indeed it is,best said with a certain accent also.
I prefer to say,deeply disappointed.

Back to the onsite/offsite..

We've stayed onsite and offsite.
Never had a bad trip.

However, love being fully immersed in Disney-its fantastic.
Absolutely adore am emh- my main reason for onsite.
Rarely use pm emh,but have done,and been happy,tired bunnies in mk at 3am.

We have a hire car,so the transportation element is not really a biggie,free parking is a great bonus,but free dining,however seals the deal whether we book onsite v offsite.
As that can save us big $'s.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #141
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Dude, put your dining plan money on a Disney gift card instead and then pay for food oop. You're still pre-paying but will save a lot of money.. Everyone is happy
Not every situation is the same and the DDP does and can save people money over paying OOP. The DDP being a good deal or not being a good deal is not a cut and dry issue. As a pp said, everyone should look at how they normally eat and run the numbers of paying OOP vs the DDP and see which is the better way to go. Getting gift cards for meals is a way of "pre-paying" just like using the DDP, but that is not always the best route to go for every family. What works for some people won't work for others.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #142
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeKelly View Post
Yes, it comes from gutting : sticking a knife in the guts and taking them out....

That would leave one severly bummed out wouldn't it
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #143
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Well the biggest perk to me is walking back to my room from HS/Epcot and having all the dining and entertainment options right there on the Boardwalk. If we didn't have kids though I might consider staying offsite some of the time.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #144
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I personally don't give a rip about EMH (actually that's not entirely true, EMH draws crowds away from other parks and helps detemine which park to avoid on a given day).

For us, staying on-site is all about not having to deal with driving and parking and being immersed in the magic 24/7.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #145
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Dude, put your dining plan money on a Disney gift card instead and then pay for food oop. You're still pre-paying but will save a lot of money.. Everyone is happy
It's similar but not exactly the same. If I have gift cards I can spend that money on something else right? I could spend some on souvenirs or other experiences instead of food. You're still thinking in the back of my head "I could spend the money for this dessert/appetizer/drink on something else" instead of just relaxing, swiping the card and going on your way. Honestly there isn't a lot of value in the QS plan, but the regular & deluxe plans can save quite a bit if you do character or signature meals.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Next trip -
squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #146
gdrj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
Well the biggest perk to me is walking back to my room from HS/Epcot and having all the dining and entertainment options right there on the Boardwalk. If we didn't have kids though I might consider staying offsite some of the time.

With our kids in college and out (and not traveling with us all the time), for us there is even less reason to stay off property. As DVC members studio or 1 BR works. Waking up and walking along Boardwalk to grab a cup of coffee in the morning beats the view on 192! Watching Disney come to life in the AM is fun for us. To be able to walk to EPCOT or MK (after staying at BLT) or look at a Safari at AKV from your balcony is well worth it for me. No driving, no T-shirt stores, or waffle houses let us escape from reality a bit more. I also enjoy being able to eat Dinner in any of a number of Countries by just walking there.

With that said we are staying over XMAS off-site (Bonnet Creek) 3 Bedroom and while it is kind of on property, and is very nice, its still not the same for us.

You ever notice that no one can "do Disney" as well as you and your own family can (at least that is my conclusion).

Definitely no right or wrong in regards to everyones thoughts and opinions, it is whatever is right for you and your family.

shhhhh ps (we do know they are wrong though...don't we)
gdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #147
CupcakeKelly
This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfromNL View Post
Yes, it comes from gutting : sticking a knife in the guts and taking them out....

That would leave one severly bummed out wouldn't it
Yeah, that sounds like a total bummer.

Whenever I hear the word I think of it in accent, so I read "gutted" but I think "guh-ED"

I guess to weigh in on the topic at hand, I am staying on property for the first time this December. I never considered it before when it was just my hubby and me, our Florida vacations only had a couple days in Disney and usually involved a baseball game in Tampa and a trip to Ft Lauderdale. This time going with my 3 year old the convenience and the magic pushed us to stay on site.
CupcakeKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #148
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser View Post

If they did away with EMHs (which there has not even been a hint of), the crowds would be dispersed more evenly between the four parks. I see this as a good thing. Instead of having to chose which park to avoid based on the one that has EMHs that day, a person can go to whichever park she chooses.
Well, I'm not happy with just avoiding the biggest crowd. I prefer to have an opportunity to choose the LEAST crowded park. Just a difference in perspective I guess.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #149
mmmears
DIS Veteran

For my family, the EMHs (both am and pm) are a MAJOR perk to staying onsite and paying for a Disney resort.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #150
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwins
As much as we have enjoyed staying onsite in the past, now that we are a family of six, there is not an economical way for us to do that any longer. We can stay at Bonnet Creek for $120 a night and have space to spread out. Having a washer and dryer is such a plus!!
We have a large family also and we only travel during free dining weeks now. As long as they continue free dining it is cheaper for us to stay on site, especially since all but one kid is now over 10. If, in the future, they ever ended free dining, we would possibly have to go off site then to save money.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: