Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
If they issue 10 fast passes every half hour and 5 holders miss their times and come back later to use that fast pass. Disney now needs to fit in (cram) those holders into other times such that instead of 10 holders you now have 11 or 12 or what ever. Those extra people now displace people waiting in the standby line. You can't magically create an extra seat. Enforce the FP time and the process runs more smoothly.
Yep, they started enforcing the FP return times...like a year ago (much to my dismay)
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

I understand the frustration between seeing an estimated 25 minutes and the actuality of over 60 minutes.

WHAT if you decide to get in line....Your ADR is in 75 minutes...across the park.
WHAT if you decide to get in line... You're meeting your party in one hr.
WHAT if you decide to get in line...Your DD's BBB appt isnt for 90 minutes so you should have time...

I think you always have to assume it could be longer

I do think this is something Disney needs to continously strive to get right!!
Usually they do
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort I have to wait until 2015!
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
Isabel
Mouseketeer

We had the same problem at LM last Friday. Sign said 30 minutes but it was actually an hour and 30 minutes. You can't tell how long the line is because alot of it is hidden from the outside. This was the only time we've ever had this problem. Maybe there's something wrong with that ride's timecard reader?
1/2005 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
1/2007 - 4-night Coronado Springs, 3-night DCL
9/2009 - Disneyland Hotel
3/2011 - Coronado Springs
5/2012 - Disneyland Hotel
Isabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

It sure seems that standby times are less accurate in recent months, judging by the number of times it is coming up here. WDW needs to improve this. I completely agree that families with smaller children need to know if it's much longer. And I want to know I can make my dining reservation in 90 minutes on a 30 minute standby. Or make my precious 1 of 3 Fastpass+ made 6 months ago.

They should know the fastpass return rate expected in the next 30 minutes, and be able to post a sign at the entrance and a couple of other points that says "wait from this point estimated to be xx minutes"

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
It sure seems that standby times are less accurate in recent months, judging by the number of times it is coming up here.
Yep. I really don't recall seeing all these reports about wildly inaccurate wait times back before the change to fastpass enforcement. Although I wasn't in favor of the change, I do know that's not the cause. I really do think it has to do with them trying to cram as much capacity out of the fastpass system.

Disney's ability to maximize FP is akin to printing money for them. The more they can squeeze out of that system, the more "currency" they will have to entice guests to do what they want them to do....... attend a different park, ride a different ride, stay onsite...... that sort of thing.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

~Fabulous~

Last edited by Robo; 03-21-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Autonomic response
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Thanks Robo! I know that stuff happens, I was just curious as to the validity of the statement that local (to the ride) CMs have no control over the wait time listed. It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.
And, totally OT but boy did I look like the hero at EPCOT on our first morning when I spotted the RFID entries that had NO lines after my BIL had gotten in a long line for the old style tickets! It was funny because he refused to get out of line at first, sure that I was incorrect and we'd be sent right back to an even longer line. He changed his tune real quickly when he saw my family scanning our tickets and walking right on in.
Yes that is true - the CMs right there have no control over what time the return time is listed.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
123LuckyMom
Mouseketeer

I am very worried about the fast pass plus system, because there have been MANY times when we've missed our fast pass window due to an inaccurate wait time at another ride (one that said 20 min but ended up being over an hour, and such). I don't mind these hiccups, but I do mind now that you can't eat anywhere without having made a reservation six months in advance! How much worse will it be when you have to pay for fast passes? I really miss the days of just wandering the parks, getting on rides as you encountered them, and popping in to a character meal when your feet got tired. Disney shouldn't be stressful!
123LuckyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #24
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz

Yes that is true - the CMs right there have no control over what time the return time is listed.

Liz
ITA. I don't think Disney would allow the possibility of a disgruntled CM having absolute control over the ability to put up the wait time.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
ITA. I don't think Disney would allow the possibility of a disgruntled CM having absolute control over the ability to put up the wait time.
Or, even a gruntled one.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Stuff happens.
Frequently.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I saw something strange at Space Mountain when I was there 2 weeks ago. I had a fastpass so it didn't matter to me but the standby line said 80 minutes. There was a long line outside. I went through the tunnel on the fastpass side and there was no one in the tunnel! The queue on the platform on the left side was full, fastpass went to the ride, not bad line. I just didn't understand why they had people lined up outside and no one in the tunnel, they added the interactive stations and no one was there to play with them.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
Robo

Now that we're deep into this discussion...

What of the situation very near park closing time of the "Wait Time" showing an artificially L-O-N-G wait time so as to discourage guests from deciding to get into that line as the park is about to close?

If the CM's at the attraction can't manually change the Wait Time, doesn't that seem odd that the posted time is cranked up so high?

Does somebody get called on the phone and is THAT person, from a "central location," able to manually crank in a bogus extra-long wait time?

Is it a standard policy and is it "built-into" the computer software to kick in an extra wait time at a certain time of the evening?

Or, is what I'm talking about just a Disney Myth and doesn't really happen?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
I am very worried about the fast pass plus system, because there have been MANY times when we've missed our fast pass window due to an inaccurate wait time at another ride (one that said 20 min but ended up being over an hour, and such). I don't mind these hiccups, but I do mind now that you can't eat anywhere without having made a reservation six months in advance! How much worse will it be when you have to pay for fast passes? I really miss the days of just wandering the parks, getting on rides as you encountered them, and popping in to a character meal when your feet got tired. Disney shouldn't be stressful!
We still travel this way... If we decide we want to try to eat someplace special we will go to that place early in the day and see if we can get an opening for later... have done this with Liberty Tree Tavern several times, and had no problem, Same with 50's Prime Time twice last year including on Mothers Day, and even Hoop Dee Doo Revue, don't know what we want to eat until that day, no way am I making reservations months or even days in advance.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Now that we're deep into this discussion...

What of the situation very near park closing time of the "Wait Time" showing an artificially L-O-N-G wait time so as to discourage guests from deciding to get into that line as the park is about to close?

Um, yes, it happens. Why, I could not tell you, but it does. I've also seen wildly inflated wait times in the morning. I am getting the impression that Disney has been playing around with fastpass distribution as of late, which is wreaking havoc with standby waits. BUT - I'm not at WDW, so I can't verify my theory with personal experience.

My own crazy random theory is that in preparation for FP+, Disney has increased the number of FP's for each attraction- in the hopes of better training guests to use more fp. If I understand fp+, then I think it will work best if guests learn to use fp more than they are currently using it. Guests avoid lines, Disney improves flow, which increases capacity. Right now, the 'common' wisdom is for guests to all head to Fantasyland at RD. That means that PotC and the Tiki House are practically empty. I think that is part of why waits for Peter Pan get- and stay - so long all day. Once the queue backs up, it's hard to undo. It's a lot like how rush hour traffic works. If all the area businesses make employees work from 9-5, it's bad for everyone. Get businesses to stagger work hours- some open at 7, some at 10...then everyone wins. Schools are another very important variable. Change school hours, and the impact is huge.

Once you get a traffic tie up, they are hard to undo.

Here's my other evidence...Disney's website now does a much better job of advertising non-park activites. Currently, a very large portion of guests follow the same pattern- arrive at the parks between 8:45am and 10:15am, eat lunch at noon. If they take an afternoon break- it's around 3pm - 5pm. Almost everyone who goes to a park-is in the park between 11am and 1pm. Again, there would be a huge benefit for Disney if they could get guests to visit a spa at 11:30am instead.

You can learn a tremendous amount watching the ebb and flow of a food court between 7am and 10am. Another insightful thing to do is to watch the flow of buses coming and going from MK - maybe from a good vantage point at CR.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: