Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 153

Question re: something one of the CMs said to me

Good morning all! We just got back from our surprise trip to Disney and had a GREAT time despite a few obstacles. Thank goodness my BIL took his daughter to the park on our arrival day and had to wait in a 2+ hour line for Space Mountain . . . they were more than willing to listen to me and my Touring Plans advice for the rest of the trip and we barely waited for anything! Except once . . .

On our first full day in the MK, we went from ride to ride with little wait. We had decided we were just about done and while walking through NFL, checked the app for the LM ride time wait. It was listed as 25 minutes posted, 21 expected. We walked up to the ride and sure enough it was posted at 25 minutes. About 25 minutes in, we were still in the outside portion of the queue and my youngest had to use the potty (thank you falling water!) I excused the two of us from the line (had to use all of my strength to keep her from kicking anyone else since she was upset that we were leaving "her best princess ever"!) We went over to Rapunzel's tower, did our business and headed back to the line. I spoke with the CM at the front and asked if there was anything that we could do, my BIL was ahead of us in the line, I had to leave with my youngest etc. He chuckled and said that he remembered her and to go on ahead through the line. Luckily, most of the people we were passing also remembered my little screaming banshee and let us through with no issue.

By the time we caught up to my BIL, the group had just made it in to the covered area and we had been waiting for about 35 minutes. The line continued to inch forward and we got into the room where you load after waiting for about an hour.

A CM who was standing in the middle of the room made a comment about seeing lots of grumpy faces. She made eye contact directly with me and so I answered. I asked her about how much longer it would take to load from the point where we were standing. She kind of shrugged her shoulders and said that it shouldn't be too much longer. I told her that we had gotten in line because the wait time was posted as 25 minutes and that we had been waiting for over an hour already. She apologized and said that it was just an estimate. I told her it was one thing to make a choice to get in line with 4 young kids for a 25 minute wait but it was entirely different to wait for over an hour. She then told me that they have no control over the wait time that is listed, that it's all computerized and they can't do anything about it. At that point we were moving again and we got on the ride about 10 minutes later.

I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed. If not, what is the point? FWIW, when we left the wait time was still listed at 25 minutes and the outside line was all the way filled.

That was seriously the ONLY Disney downside to our trip. We had some other rough bumps, but those were totally out of Disney's control.
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 79,113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Good morning all! We just got back from our surprise trip to Disney and had a GREAT time despite a few obstacles. Thank goodness my BIL took his daughter to the park on our arrival day and had to wait in a 2+ hour line for Space Mountain . . . they were more than willing to listen to me and my Touring Plans advice for the rest of the trip and we barely waited for anything! Except once . . .

On our first full day in the MK, we went from ride to ride with little wait. We had decided we were just about done and while walking through NFL, checked the app for the LM ride time wait. It was listed as 25 minutes posted, 21 expected. We walked up to the ride and sure enough it was posted at 25 minutes. About 25 minutes in, we were still in the outside portion of the queue and my youngest had to use the potty (thank you falling water!) I excused the two of us from the line (had to use all of my strength to keep her from kicking anyone else since she was upset that we were leaving "her best princess ever"!) We went over to Rapunzel's tower, did our business and headed back to the line. I spoke with the CM at the front and asked if there was anything that we could do, my BIL was ahead of us in the line, I had to leave with my youngest etc. He chuckled and said that he remembered her and to go on ahead through the line. Luckily, most of the people we were passing also remembered my little screaming banshee and let us through with no issue.

By the time we caught up to my BIL, the group had just made it in to the covered area and we had been waiting for about 35 minutes. The line continued to inch forward and we got into the room where you load after waiting for about an hour.

A CM who was standing in the middle of the room made a comment about seeing lots of grumpy faces. She made eye contact directly with me and so I answered. I asked her about how much longer it would take to load from the point where we were standing. She kind of shrugged her shoulders and said that it shouldn't be too much longer. I told her that we had gotten in line because the wait time was posted as 25 minutes and that we had been waiting for over an hour already. She apologized and said that it was just an estimate. I told her it was one thing to make a choice to get in line with 4 young kids for a 25 minute wait but it was entirely different to wait for over an hour. She then told me that they have no control over the wait time that is listed, that it's all computerized and they can't do anything about it. At that point we were moving again and we got on the ride about 10 minutes later.

I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed. If not, what is the point? FWIW, when we left the wait time was still listed at 25 minutes and the outside line was all the way filled.

That was seriously the ONLY Disney downside to our trip. We had some other rough bumps, but those were totally out of Disney's control.
Stuff happens.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
LisaTN
DIS Veteran
 
LisaTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Good morning all! We just got back from our surprise trip to Disney and had a GREAT time despite a few obstacles. Thank goodness my BIL took his daughter to the park on our arrival day and had to wait in a 2+ hour line for Space Mountain . . . they were more than willing to listen to me and my Touring Plans advice for the rest of the trip and we barely waited for anything! Except once . . .

On our first full day in the MK, we went from ride to ride with little wait. We had decided we were just about done and while walking through NFL, checked the app for the LM ride time wait. It was listed as 25 minutes posted, 21 expected. We walked up to the ride and sure enough it was posted at 25 minutes. About 25 minutes in, we were still in the outside portion of the queue and my youngest had to use the potty (thank you falling water!) I excused the two of us from the line (had to use all of my strength to keep her from kicking anyone else since she was upset that we were leaving "her best princess ever"!) We went over to Rapunzel's tower, did our business and headed back to the line. I spoke with the CM at the front and asked if there was anything that we could do, my BIL was ahead of us in the line, I had to leave with my youngest etc. He chuckled and said that he remembered her and to go on ahead through the line. Luckily, most of the people we were passing also remembered my little screaming banshee and let us through with no issue.

By the time we caught up to my BIL, the group had just made it in to the covered area and we had been waiting for about 35 minutes. The line continued to inch forward and we got into the room where you load after waiting for about an hour.

A CM who was standing in the middle of the room made a comment about seeing lots of grumpy faces. She made eye contact directly with me and so I answered. I asked her about how much longer it would take to load from the point where we were standing. She kind of shrugged her shoulders and said that it shouldn't be too much longer. I told her that we had gotten in line because the wait time was posted as 25 minutes and that we had been waiting for over an hour already. She apologized and said that it was just an estimate. I told her it was one thing to make a choice to get in line with 4 young kids for a 25 minute wait but it was entirely different to wait for over an hour. She then told me that they have no control over the wait time that is listed, that it's all computerized and they can't do anything about it. At that point we were moving again and we got on the ride about 10 minutes later.

I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed. If not, what is the point? FWIW, when we left the wait time was still listed at 25 minutes and the outside line was all the way filled.

That was seriously the ONLY Disney downside to our trip. We had some other rough bumps, but those were totally out of Disney's control.
That is very frustrating I know.... but the CM was right... the computerized system makes estimates based on the red cards... but LM has been notorious for being "down" - breaking, etc... and so this may have been what had happened? They may not have given out another red card while ya'll were in line (which they should).... or the person with the red card forgot to pass it on... but the lines are just estimates.

It's nice though being on the other end. We got in line for TSMM and it said 50 minutes, and we only waited in line for 20.

True, these things happen. Frustrating as they may be. But I'm glad the rest of your trip went great!!!
__________________
1981 - Treehouse Villas, I was 6yo
1986 - I think Treehouse Villas, I was 11
1994 - off property
2005 - Coronado Springs (couples trip with my then fiance, now DH)
Nov 2011 - POR, DDs first trip
Feb 2012 - POR
Feb 2013 - POR
July 29-August 3, 2013 - Bonnet Creek
August 3 - August 6th, 2013 - Pop Century
Oct 6-11, 2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
February 2-7, AoA, Cars Suite
May 23-25 - Sarratoga Springs, Treehouses
June 6-12 Art of Animation, Little Mermaid Room
*** September 21-28th, POR
*** June 1-5 Disney Dream Cruise, First Cruise!
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 153

Thanks Robo! I know that stuff happens, I was just curious as to the validity of the statement that local (to the ride) CMs have no control over the wait time listed. It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.

And, totally OT but boy did I look like the hero at EPCOT on our first morning when I spotted the RFID entries that had NO lines after my BIL had gotten in a long line for the old style tickets! It was funny because he refused to get out of line at first, sure that I was incorrect and we'd be sent right back to an even longer line. He changed his tune real quickly when he saw my family scanning our tickets and walking right on in.
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Cais
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,475

Fast pass returns also affect your wait time in a way that's tough to judge. Any time you also have a significant number of guests entering the line can cause wait times to fluctuate wildly as well. Parade dump, fireworks dump, post lunch rush, post dinner rush etc. It's useful as an estimate but I would never take one as gospel.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Picture??
Cais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
littlejen22
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Thanks Robo! I know that stuff happens, I was just curious as to the validity of the statement that local (to the ride) CMs have no control over the wait time listed. It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.

And, totally OT but boy did I look like the hero at EPCOT on our first morning when I spotted the RFID entries that had NO lines after my BIL had gotten in a long line for the old style tickets! It was funny because he refused to get out of line at first, sure that I was incorrect and we'd be sent right back to an even longer line. He changed his tune real quickly when he saw my family scanning our tickets and walking right on in.
Which rides have RDIF lines?
__________________
WDW - 1989, 2002, 2010, 2011



littlejen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,230

Once upon a time, some blamed inaccurate wait times on late FP users. Personally, I believe large discrepancies occur when the rides go down. At least, this was our experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Stuff happens.
But, usually to me... And OFTEN!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
LisaTN
DIS Veteran
 
LisaTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejen22 View Post
Which rides have RDIF lines?
Not rides... the turntiles at the park entrance
__________________
1981 - Treehouse Villas, I was 6yo
1986 - I think Treehouse Villas, I was 11
1994 - off property
2005 - Coronado Springs (couples trip with my then fiance, now DH)
Nov 2011 - POR, DDs first trip
Feb 2012 - POR
Feb 2013 - POR
July 29-August 3, 2013 - Bonnet Creek
August 3 - August 6th, 2013 - Pop Century
Oct 6-11, 2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
February 2-7, AoA, Cars Suite
May 23-25 - Sarratoga Springs, Treehouses
June 6-12 Art of Animation, Little Mermaid Room
*** September 21-28th, POR
*** June 1-5 Disney Dream Cruise, First Cruise!
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,969

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat
Good morning all! We just got back from our surprise trip to Disney and had a GREAT time despite a few obstacles. Thank goodness my BIL took his daughter to the park on our arrival day and had to wait in a 2+ hour line for Space Mountain . . . they were more than willing to listen to me and my Touring Plans advice for the rest of the trip and we barely waited for anything! Except once . . .

On our first full day in the MK, we went from ride to ride with little wait. We had decided we were just about done and while walking through NFL, checked the app for the LM ride time wait. It was listed as 25 minutes posted, 21 expected. We walked up to the ride and sure enough it was posted at 25 minutes. About 25 minutes in, we were still in the outside portion of the queue and my youngest had to use the potty (thank you falling water!) I excused the two of us from the line (had to use all of my strength to keep her from kicking anyone else since she was upset that we were leaving "her best princess ever"!) We went over to Rapunzel's tower, did our business and headed back to the line. I spoke with the CM at the front and asked if there was anything that we could do, my BIL was ahead of us in the line, I had to leave with my youngest etc. He chuckled and said that he remembered her and to go on ahead through the line. Luckily, most of the people we were passing also remembered my little screaming banshee and let us through with no issue.

By the time we caught up to my BIL, the group had just made it in to the covered area and we had been waiting for about 35 minutes. The line continued to inch forward and we got into the room where you load after waiting for about an hour.

A CM who was standing in the middle of the room made a comment about seeing lots of grumpy faces. She made eye contact directly with me and so I answered. I asked her about how much longer it would take to load from the point where we were standing. She kind of shrugged her shoulders and said that it shouldn't be too much longer. I told her that we had gotten in line because the wait time was posted as 25 minutes and that we had been waiting for over an hour already. She apologized and said that it was just an estimate. I told her it was one thing to make a choice to get in line with 4 young kids for a 25 minute wait but it was entirely different to wait for over an hour. She then told me that they have no control over the wait time that is listed, that it's all computerized and they can't do anything about it. At that point we were moving again and we got on the ride about 10 minutes later.

I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed. If not, what is the point? FWIW, when we left the wait time was still listed at 25 minutes and the outside line was all the way filled.

That was seriously the ONLY Disney downside to our trip. We had some other rough bumps, but those were totally out of Disney's control.
A lot of people saw the short wait and got in line driving up the time before it could be recorded.. It happens
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Once upon a time, some blamed inaccurate wait times on late FP users. Personally, I believe large discrepancies occur when the rides go down. At least, this was our experience.
But, usually to me... And OFTEN!
FP is part of it. They issue a certain number of FPs and take that into account when they determine wait times. When people do not make their FP time then they need to be crammed in and this is the reason they are now trying to enforce FP times. Plus they are now issuing many more FPs then they use to (my observation, no real data). That will also make the wait time slide. It has been suggested many times that the wait times are very inaccurate with the disney apps as the times come from disney but outside apps like the one from UT are much more accurate as the people waiting in line post those times.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 03-21-2013 at 11:55 AM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 79,113

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
FP is part of it. They issue a certain number of FPs and take that into account when they determine wait times. When people do not make their FP time then they need to be crammed in and this is the reason they are now trying to enforce FP times.
What?
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
What?
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
What?
If they issue 10 fast passes every half hour and 5 holders miss their times and come back later to use that fast pass. Disney now needs to fit in (cram) those holders into other times such that instead of 10 holders you now have 11 or 12 or what ever. Those extra people now displace people waiting in the standby line. You can't magically create an extra seat. Enforce the FP time and the process runs more smoothly.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,753

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
If they issue 10 fast passes every half hour and 5 holders miss their times and come back later to use that fast pass. Disney now needs to fit in (cram) those holders into other times such that instead of 10 holders you now have 11 or 12 or what ever. Those extra people now displace people waiting in the standby line. You can't magically create an extra seat. Enforce the FP time and the process runs more smoothly.
It is enforced.

And I see no more smoothness.

Last edited by mesaboy2; 03-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
katt789
DIS Veteran
 
katt789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 5,590

As Robo says: stuff happens.

I usually judge a line based on what it looks like rather than what it's posted (if you can see the line that is!) The red cards are iffy, like, if the wait time is posted at five minutes, and they give a red card at the entrance, that card could still take an hour to reach the front, and during that hour the wait time is still posted at five minutes.

We had a couple situations like this where one was Space Mtn and we decided to eventually leave the line, and another was getting into the princesses. We walked straight into the blue room right before you go in and ended up waiting over an hour in there with a posted wait of twenty minutes, that of course is a little different as meet and greets are a little harder to control, and it was the very end of the night, BUT, still super annoying to deal with!
__________________
In Progress Trip Reports
May 2014 (24 hr day)//Villains Unleashed!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy




katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.