Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladysP View Post
I completely agree with bringing cash for various tips. My problem is that I always remember to bring plenty of $1's for room service, but I am famous for forgetting the larger bills for extra tipping. we end up paying and tipping cab drivers etc with $1 bills.

My husband and I are going on the Dream in Sept. and I have already written on my packing list in bold marker 'large bills for tip envelopes etc'.

On our last cruise on the Dream this past January, I was so thankful to have had lots of extra ones (more than we needed) 'cause this is what we ended up putting in the tip envelopes above and beyond the recommended tips for all of our servers. Boy were those tiny envelopes fat with $1 bills!!! They saved the day. We have been known in the past to have to add the extra envelope tips to our credit card on file which is fine but could totally be avoided with a bit of forethought on my part
Tip enevelopes, I am thinking about bringing cash for the server envelopes, do the DCL staff prefer cash in the envelope vs leaving it on the credit card? Does anyone have an experience with this?

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013

Disney World, November 2014, Port Orleans Riverside

Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

My last cruise the stateroom attendant got a little extra for working so hard to get the idiots to fix my "magic" porthole (According to them it wasn't broken, but it's the only porthole on the ship that required the TV to be on before you could see the "view" LOL!)

Servers got the suggested and they didn't deserve that. I did tip cash for room service the one time I ordered it. But that's really about it. In the past I have also tipped on excursions but I did the wine and cheese at the Greystone in Nassau and I was not tipping the driver for driving and there really was no "tipping" for the meal etc. It was wonderful, but generally you don't tip chefs
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
GladysP
Earning My Ears

JimGa, That is a good question and I am sorry to say that I don't have a clue which is the preferred way. Maybe someone could answer that one for both of us.

I know that I have gone the credit card route in a pinch but I usually put cash in the tip envelopes.

My husband and I don't mind at all tipping extra and are happy to do it. Those people work super hard to make sure that everything and I do mean EVERYTHING is perfect and that we get the best possible experience under the sun-- and they do it with a smile and in my opinion the unmatched 'Disney flair'.
GladysP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Fivepin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post
Tip enevelopes, I am thinking about bringing cash for the server envelopes, do the DCL staff prefer cash in the envelope vs leaving it on the credit card? Does anyone have an experience with this?
I have just asked the servers and stateroom hosts directly what they prefer. Most do prefer the direct deposit, but I did have a few who did prefer the cash because they were getting ready to go on vacation or just got back and wanted extra cash on hand.

Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion 9/23/95
Cruises: 9/14/2002 1st Disney Cruise West Caribbean; 10/2/2004 Eastern Caribbean; 8/20/2005 14 nite Panama Canal; 9/16/2006 Double Dip with Costa Maya; 5/26/2007 11 nite Mediterranean; 5/1/2008 3 night Wonder Best Friend Cruise; 9/11/2008 3 night Wonder Anniversary Cruise; 10/11/2008 Eastern Caribbean; 11/14/2009 Double Dip;1/21/2010 3 nite Wonder Mini Getaway; 7/6/2010 12 night Northern European Capitals Cruise1/26/2011 Dream MV;7/12/2011 Alaska Cruise;11/17/2011 Dream B2B; 3/31/2012 Fantasy MV; 4/29/2012 15 nite Hawaii Cruise; 7/13/2012 2 night NYC Cruise to Nowhere; 8/10/2012 Double Dip; 9/20/12 3 Nite Anniversary Cruise;11/18/12 3 Nite Vow Renewal Cruise; 1/10/13 3 Nite 1st DVC Member Cruise; 6/23/13 4 nite Dream Cruise; 11/23/13 Thanksgiving on the Fantasy; 1/14/14 3 Nite Magic Cruise in the Royal Suite
Trips to WDW:too many to count
Fivepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

We always get wonderful service & we feel that extra tipping is necessary as the service we get is above & beyond what is required , we are not demanding people at all and we keep our stateroom very tidy but all of our servers/hosts have been amazing ! We feel the required suggested amount is way below what it should be . I would not go to any restaurant and tip as low as the suggested amount . If my service was terrible I would leave the requested amount . I've asked the servers if they would rather have extra in cash or put directly on their account & they say it doesn't really matter which way that they will get it . I've had some tell me that they keep the cash that they receive to buy necessities & treats / a nice meal while in port & the amount put on their account is sent home to their families . Our last cruise we tipped the required minimum amount plus we added the same amount more to the envelope at the end plus we gave our servers & stateroom host a gift bag full of candy , chocolate bars , mints & gum . We also brought extra treats and when we got room service we gave $ plus a treat and did the same with the bar staff . We also paid the automatic 15 % and added a little extra along with $1.00 or $2.00 in bills .
Tips , yes the wings are amazing & the cheese tray !!! Bring cash for Castaway for the post office as they only take cash for stamps & mail your letter as soon as you get off the ship as the post office might be closed when you head back to the ship . If you are on the Fantasy or Dream check out the Cove Cafe ( adult only area ) very nice area with lots of free pastries & snacks . Don't eat too much Pirate night or you will not have any room for the buffet at 10:45-11:30 pm at Cabanna's .
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

For our cruise Apr 26 out of Galveston, the gratuities were added to upfront payment..don't know why as this wasn't done my last cruise..so I've already paid the basic gratuity..think I will print that out in case CS adds them AGAIN. If we had the excellent service we had last time we will add some cash to the envelopes as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

To those who hate the MCO airport security line experience, I have one word for you: CLEAR. It is a trusted traveler program that you do have to pay for, but allows you to breeze through--I've never waited more than 30 seconds. And now they're tying the CLEAR program to TSA PreCheck, so you won't have to take off your coat & shoes, pull out your toiletries, or separate your laptop...

And if you do choose to sign up, please PM me first--I do get a tiny little referral bonus if you say I sent you!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #23
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
To those who hate the MCO airport security line experience, I have one word for you: CLEAR. It is a trusted traveler program that you do have to pay for, but allows you to breeze through--I've never waited more than 30 seconds. And now they're tying the CLEAR program to TSA PreCheck, so you won't have to take off your coat & shoes, pull out your toiletries, or separate your laptop...

And if you do choose to sign up, please PM me first--I do get a tiny little referral bonus if you say I sent you!
is the CLEAR program only at mco or at all airports?

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

My honest thoughts on Clear.. it won't survive. SORRY!

I was a member from the early days and am again now, but I won't be renewing and.... I expect a lot of frequent flyers are like me We are getting the TSA Trusted Traveler via our airlines or with the Global Entry and won't see the money for Clear worth it. I hate that for them but.... Now this does expose me the 'random' part of the TSA program but for $180 a year with the very limited airports clear serves.. I just can't keep justifying it.

But if you only fly MCO and do it several times a year it's worth it. However, unless it's at an airport near you it won't help on your next flight. First you have to "verify" in person and I "think" they still want to government issued photo IDs (AKA as "passport" not the birth certificate") Once they verify that etc. then you get your clear card.

Clear is currently at MCO, Denver, San Francisco, One terminal at Dallas (E?) and Westchester NY.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: