Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #61
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink415
I like all of the resorts so I usually choose by what we'll be doing. No values during hot months as I want a ceiling fan in the room. If its a short trip and we won't be using the pool I skip the deluxes. I haven't been able to take a long vacation from work in too long! but if I could, I'd choose a longer stay, especially if pools weren't important. Our best vacations, to me, are the ones where we can stay the longest, relax, and enjoy all that Disney World has to offer. One of the best vacations we had we stayed at ASMo for 10 nights in Oct. We didn't go to parks everyday all day, we took off mornings, afternoons and evenings to visit other resorts, play mini golf, go to DD. For example, breakfast at Boma, then bike ride at WL. lunch and afternoon swim at ASMo and MK in the evening. We stayed at WL for 10 nights over Christmas, that trip was fantastic, but it was so cold we never used the pool and I had to force myself into the hot tub. The following Christmas we were going for 10 days again and I choose POR to save some $, loved it! They were all great vacations! Enjoy your planning!
Thank you for all the info!! I also will be there in December and that's another reason the pool isn't make or break. It may be too cold to swim anywhere I love the idea of trying different things there too like mini golf. Is that on the Disney property?
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #62
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie
I would be very happy at a moderate, but the small beds at the values just do not make for a comfortable night's sleep so I would go for less days, and at least moderate resort.
Are they double beds? While we are used to a queen at home, we fit well in a double at other places so I think it should be ok. Thanks for the heads up though!
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #63
amberpi
DIS Veteran
 
amberpi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667

Dh and I stayed at a value last year for one night when we changed our flight with a day notice we took what we could get. His feet hung off the bed, tall skinny guy at 6'3. We got in very late and were very unhappy with the lack of room service (we were starved after our late flight and my dh loves to get wings). The doors are on the outside and it just wasn't comfortable to us at all. I wouldn't recommend it especially to a family of 4, but wdw keeps building values so it must work for a large number of people...I think it's also matter of what you're used to, I have some friends that would be in love with the values, and others that wouldn't check in, just know your family and what's important to you.
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #64
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,167

I would wait until discounts are released to decide. You may be able to stay for more than 7 nights in a deluxe. The deluxe resorts are beautiful at Christmas time especially the lower level deluxes like Akl and Wl. I know you probably want to book and make a descision, but I would hold off and see what Disney has to offer in the way of discounts. You may be pleasantly surprised. We have been in Dec twice and it was in the high 70's low 80's so it definitely can be swimming weather. You might also want to consider splitting your stay between a value and a deluxe.
__________________

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #65
homedad
DIS Veteran
 
homedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 1,095

at first I would say longer over nicer resort, but after I thought about it the first time we went with kids we stayed at the WL and though we loved the resort I said never again 1 week all in one room so we bought into DVC. We now can enjoy our 1 week every two years with lots of space, convenience, and our own bedroom.
homedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #66
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose129 View Post
Are they double beds? While we are used to a queen at home, we fit well in a double at other places so I think it should be ok. Thanks for the heads up though!
yes they are doubles. All the moderates except CBR now have queen beds.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #67
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn
I would wait until discounts are released to decide. You may be able to stay for more than 7 nights in a deluxe. The deluxe resorts are beautiful at Christmas time especially the lower level deluxes like Akl and Wl. I know you probably want to book and make a descision, but I would hold off and see what Disney has to offer in the way of discounts. You may be pleasantly surprised. We have been in Dec twice and it was in the high 70's low 80's so it definitely can be swimming weather. You might also want to consider splitting your stay between a value and a deluxe.
When do they announce deals? Just curious how long wed need to want to book if I did it that way the Wilderness and animal kingdom do loom beautiful!
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #68
mmmears
DIS Veteran
 
mmmears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 8,259

I'd pick the shorter stay (as long as it was 7 nights) and the nicer resort. While I'd love 10+ days in WDW, my family spends lots of time at our resort and really enjoy the deluxe resorts (AKL's theming is amazing). I'd pick a week at AKL over a value anyday. It really depends on what you would prefer and how important the resort is to you. Another option is doing a split-stay...
__________________


* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #69
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears
I'd pick the shorter stay (as long as it was 7 nights) and the nicer resort. While I'd love 10+ days in WDW, my family spends lots of time at our resort and really enjoy the deluxe resorts (AKL's theming is amazing). I'd pick a week at AKL over a value anyday. It really depends on what you would prefer and how important the resort is to you. Another option is doing a split-stay...
I'm. Trying to find info on the spilt stay. My search bottom doesn't seem to be working though. So I guess I should just call Disney to get info.
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #70
amberpi
DIS Veteran
 
amberpi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose129 View Post
Thank you for all the info!! I also will be there in December and that's another reason the pool isn't make or break. It may be too cold to swim anywhere I love the idea of trying different things there too like mini golf. Is that on the Disney property?
Mini golf is either a) just across from the Swan or b) right near blizzard beach. My 5 year old nephew loved the Fanastia golf close to the Swan. That was a highlight of his trip! We have not experienced the Winter Summerland course tho!
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #71
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose129 View Post
When do they announce deals? Just curious how long wed need to want to book if I did it that way the Wilderness and animal kingdom do loom beautiful!
My best guess would be sometime in August. Lately the Epcot resorts have been discounted more than the MK resorts. It was actually cheaper to stay at a Epcot resort this Spring than WL or AK. If I remember correctly the discounts were in the 30-35% off range for deluxes in Dec 2012. I believe mousesavers website has a record of past discounts.
__________________

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #72
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose129 View Post
I'm. Trying to find info on the spilt stay. My search bottom doesn't seem to be working though. So I guess I should just call Disney to get info.
A split stay just requires making a room only reservation at two different resorts. All that is required is the first nights deposit. You can buy your tickets through Disney or through a discounted broker such as Undercover tourist. Disney will move your luggage for you, and it will be at the next resort by 4pm. 5 nights at a value/ and 5 nights at a deluxe(always do the value first) would give you a longer vacation and cut down on some of the cost. If you want the dining plan its a little more complicated. I'm not a fan of the dining plan, but I'm sure someone on here could answer that for you.
__________________

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #73
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn

A split stay just requires making a room only reservation at two different resorts. All that is required is the first nights deposit. You can buy your tickets through Disney or through a discounted broker such as Undercover tourist. Disney will move your luggage for you, and it will be at the next resort by 4pm. 5 nights at a value/ and 5 nights at a deluxe(always do the value first) would give you a longer vacation and cut down on some of the cost. If you want the dining plan its a little more complicated. I'm not a fan of the dining plan, but I'm sure someone on here could answer that for you.
This is wonderful info. Thank you!! Yes we were doing dining. It just seemed to make sense for us with character meals.
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #74
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyRunner2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not near enough.
Posts: 1,824

Adding the dining plan to your reservation complicates the split stay. Each reservation would need the dining plan, room and park tickets, I believe. Therfore, you would need to start over with ticket pricing for the second reservation. This would negate any savings, the more days you add to your first set of park tickets. I would stay longer at a value resort. Typically we stay nine days. This year, it looks like ASSp. The plan is shaping up to be breakfast, pool time, head out for lunch and then where ever the Disney transportation will take us. The transportation adds to the adventure. We were at ASSp last Thanksgiving weekend. The temperature started out around 45, climbed to 70 during the day (went swimming), but once the sun went down it got cold fast. We are from the midwest. My family does not need to go to the parks everyday. There is a lot of other stuff to do. If you want ideas of free things to do, I'd be happy to help.
__________________
Blog: http://www.dashing2disney.blogspot.comTwitter:@dashing2disney
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu Princess Half-Marathon,
8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 resort with best AP discount

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #75
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunner2009
Adding the dining plan to your reservation complicates the split stay. Each reservation would need the dining plan, room and park tickets, I believe. Therfore, you would need to start over with ticket pricing for the second reservation. This would negate any savings, the more days you add to your first set of park tickets. I would stay longer at a value resort. Typically we stay nine days. This year, it looks like ASSp. The plan is shaping up to be breakfast, pool time, head out for lunch and then where ever the Disney transportation will take us. The transportation adds to the adventure. We were at ASSp last Thanksgiving weekend. The temperature started out around 45, climbed to 70 during the day (went swimming), but once the sun went down it got cold fast. We are from the midwest. My family does not need to go to the parks everyday. There is a lot of other stuff to do. If you want ideas of free things to do, I'd be happy to help.
Thank you so much!! I'd love it if you could give me done ideas and tips. We are definitely set on a dining plan. So I think the split stay is out. If we do a value I was looking at the Sports. My boys are big athletes and think they will love that theming would you be able to private message me on here with any planning ideas you have! And how to handle a 10-11 day disney stay.
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.