Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #151
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Thursday, October 25th, was a special day. We officially became DVC members, buying at AKL. I am glad to say that we are trying to plan our first DVC trip, the first two weeks of November 2013.

Anyway, we had our DVC tour that early morning and had coffee, juice, cookies at the DVC center. After, we were driven in a shuttle to Downtown Disney - they actually drive you where you want after the trip.

We headed to Bongo's...

We are not really familiar with Cuban cuisine, so we were eager to try this place out! The menu is massive, there are plenty of choices for drinks and foods!

Let's celebrate with a coconut mojito! Delish!

We settled on a couple of appetizers.

First, the fish ceviche.

Very good and fresh, not too much cilantro taste, much to DH's delight. It came with a massive side of fried plantains which was not listed on the menu. This was kind of a bummer, because we had also ordered some separately as a side, so we had way too much!

These were good, fresh and crispy. The cuban mojo was out of this world, very garlicky with a little citrus taste, soooo good!

We also got the Bongos combo - fried stuff potatoes, pork tamales, stuffed yucca cup, mojo-marinated fried pork bites, ham croquettes.

This was a massive plate! And also lots of fried food, but not too greasy. We basically loved everything on this plate. Maybe the pork was a little less appealing, since the frying process made them a little tough, but had a wonderful flavor. Loved the yucca cups, especially the one with the spicy shrimp. The ham croquettes were good but not too "exotic" in flavor. The tamale was good, it was the first time we ate that. The onions were marinated and it also came with a side of mojo and lime wedges which added some nice acidity. We would go back for sure! The place was quiet and empty at lunchtime and the serving staff were nice and efficient.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #152
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We left Bongo's with a couple of doggie bags and made a pit stop at Goofy's for some sweet for later.

I got a red velvet Mickey cake pop.

Good but sweeet! The cake part is fudgey and dense, permitting only a bite at a time so you can stretch this snack out. The ears were marshmallow, which I don't really like, so I did not eat those. The chocolate coating was good, standard milk chocolate.

DH got the cashew mammoth.

Milk chocolate, cashews and caramel - a sweet tooth can't go wrong with this. I did not taste it, but DH had no difficulty eating this and was very satisfied.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #153
jmm476
DIS Veteran

I don't see too many reviews of Bongos. The appetizers look and sound really good.
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #154
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Congratulations on becoming a DVC Member

Great review of Bongos, we really must try this place some time
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #155
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
I don't see too many reviews of Bongos. The appetizers look and sound really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Congratulations on becoming a DVC Member

Great review of Bongos, we really must try this place some time
Bongos is really like a hidden gem. Great variety and great food! We were really impressed!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #156
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

OMG...That mojito looks so good!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #157
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We had a lazy afternoon and decided to visit Kidani and try a walk-up to Sanaa.

They told us it would be a 45-60 minutes wait, but it was ok. We explored a bit and headed to the bar. I got a Kande Coconut Cooler - refreshing combination of Starr African Run, coconut, vanilla ice cream and orange juice. So good!

We were seated in about 30 minutes. We had an awesome server here, but I don't recall her name.

DH had a mango lassi that he enjoyed very much. I'm not sure it's authentic, it seemed more like a smoothie. Anyway, it was good, so DH was happy!

I had the white sangria, which was disappointing. It seemed watered down (maybe there was too much ice) and didn't have much flavor, especially if compared to the Kande Cooler.

I chose two appetizers for my main. First, the mustard seed crusted scallops with a coconut cream sauce.

These were as big as the ones at Flying Fish and were cooked perfectly with a nice sear. The mustard seeds added a nice taste and texture and the sauce was mellow, not very coconut-y and did not overpower the scallops. A bargain at 9 bucks!

I also had the salad trio.

This was watermelon, cucumber and fennel. Very fresh tasting with the tang of the fennel. Interesting and different.

The roasted beets. They still had a nice bite to them and were nice and sweet. A nice choice but a little boring.

The bhel puri. This was like a party in my mouth. Love the crunchy texture of the fried noodles, the punch of the onion and the spices in the dressing. It was my favorite. Again, great value, the trio is 7$.

DH had the slow-cooked in gravy. He selected the spicy durban chicken and the butter chicken with basmati.

He was in awe over this. He likes currys and braised meats, so this was a great choice for him. The chicken was moist and flavourful. The butter chicken was rich and the sauce was silky. The durban was spicier with a nice heat. He mixed the rice with the sauce.

We then shared a pot of pressed Kenyan coffee - nice and strong.

We were really satisfied with the French presses at Disney. Very good coffee.

And we shared a dessert.

The banana kulfi sundae. This was nice and not to big a portion. It had a little bit of chocolate sauce on top which was in my opinion, not necessary. The kulfi had a nice dense texture and was exploding with banana flavor. The spiced cashews were so good with the berry sauce. Very nice dessert!

And that concludes our meal at Sanaa. It ranked really highly, we will be back, the value is exceptional, the food is awesome, the service was spot on! I can't say enough good of this little jewel!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #158
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Your meals at Bongo's and Sanaa look fabulous!!! I"m going in February for the Princess Half Marathon and on the first day, my friend will be arriving at a different time. So I'm going to make a solo ADR for myself for the first night - and Sanaa sounds great! I think it's between this and Jiko. I just can't decide! For some reason I'm looking a lot at your drinks today. That Kande Coconut Cooler seems to be calling my name.
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #159
Leslieann1024
Mouseketeer

Are you serious re:the weight loss ? You are beautiful ! Congrats to you on the weight loss, that is not an easy obstacle ! Y'all are a great looking couple !
Leslieann1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #160
ellie'smom
Mouseketeer

I'm loving your review.
Merci
ellie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #161
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Hello everybody

I'm back to finish this report. I've had some bad Disney blues, some health issues and was a victim of downsizing at the company I worked for, but I'm excited to have a new ticker! My first DVC stay, this time going with my mother as DH could not get time off, in November. Our dates are November 1-15, staying at AKV (Jambo) and I got a BOG dinner ADR!

As soon as my pics are finished uploading, I'll finish the last two days of this report!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #162
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

This morning, we had our last day at Epcot. We were there at rope drop, rode Soaring, got some more fastpasses and got some breakfast at Sunshine Seasons.

I'm seriously underwhelmed when it comes to breakfast options at Disney's food courts, but, at Sunshine Seasons, there is a little jewel of awesome - the berry croissant bread pudding. So good, moist sweet and tart because of the berries. Love it!

DH had the bounty platter - potatoes were awful and dry, bacon was limp. Eggs were acceptable as well as the sausage. French toast was not very good.

Later on, we made our way to the World Showcase to try some of the last bits of F&W.

From the Caribbean booth - jerk-spiced chicken drumstick with mango chutney. Nice, loved the spice with the chutney, but we are not fans of drumsticks as they always seem to have some small bones in them.

We also got the Frozen Dragon Berry Colada which was quite good, but really rich, almost like a shake. DH really liked this one, so he had most of it. It was not strong at all.

At the Australia booth, I tried the lamington. It was basically a yellow sponge cake dipped in chocolate ganache and covered in coconut. Not bad, the cake was moist but it was a little boring.

Then we made a pit stop at the Cava for a margarita. I went with the cucumber margarita but was not happy with my choice. I love cucumber, but this marg was on the sweet side since it also contained pineapple juice and I didn't think it was a great combo. I should have ordered the jalapeno, that was my original choice. I didn't finish it.

By then, we decided to have a rest at the hotel and came back a little later.

In France, we got the Pomegranate Kir which was lovely and refreshing.

In Morocco, we tried the Merguez pocket, which was not very fresh, the pita was soaked in cooking juices and the merguez was a measly little piece of dried out sausage. This was a miss.

In Japan, at the Sake bar, we got a green tea sake cocktail, which was really nice and refreshing, not to sweet and it packed a punch. Plus, gotta love those cocktail umbrellas!

At Hops and Barley, we got the clam chowder that I really liked. It was rich and full of clams. We also got an Angry Orchard cider - it was a hit with DH however, I missed taking a pic.

In Italy, we got the sausage with peppers. Good, filling but nothing exceptional.

At the Poland booth, we got the pierogie. I had it the year before and I really like this. We don't really have this around here.

We wanted something sweet so we tried the Italian gelato counter and got Affogato. Basically, they add an espresso shot to vanilla gelato. This was kinda expensive, around 8-9 dollars, but boy was it good. The espresso cuts through the sweetness of the gelato and the coffee beans added a nice crunch. I'm definitely having this again next time!

Last we tried the natilla de cajeta at the Mexico booth. Cue in angels singing. This was my favorite dessert of the festival. It tasted like a dulce de leche pudding, sweet, cold and smooth. OMG to die for! I hope this one will be coming back this year.

On this high note, we exited the park which was getting seriously packed.
Mission Food and Wine: accomplished!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #163
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad to see you updated!! Sorry about the hurdles but it sounds like you have an exciting trip to look forward to! Especially since you are staying at AKL (lovely! we stayed there for the first time last girl trip in my siggy) and BOG!! Awesome!!!

Glad to see mission accomplished (and so deliciously too) for Food & Wine!

Looking forward to your final updates as well.

(Oh, and Emily and I are trying Sanaa next trip so I was excited to see your review for that restaurant.)

Happy Friday!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #164
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I hear ya on the downsizing! Happened to me last July and my nightmare will finally end on June 10th when I start training for my new job! Hang in there!

Love your reviews ... looking forward to the rest of them!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: