Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #316
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzie72 View Post
My dad used to run marathons when I was in elementary school way back in the day. He had to give them up because of his back. When I started running, he started running again. We did a couple of 5k races together and it was the best thing that my dad has ever done with me. Even though I finished before him, I would walk/run back to finish with him. He isn't able to run anymore but he can sure walk. He loves that I am still running and he wants to hear all about my races, even the small ones.

I agree, this is an awesome story!!! I would love to have that connection with my parent...and hope to have it with my kids.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #317
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padisneyfour View Post
Ok I am new here but really want to do the 5K in 2014 with my DDs but never done anything like this before and yes I need to get active again.....but.... any advice???? I am crazy for thinking I can do this?
Most definitely you CAN do this. Start slow and work your way up to 5K. Couch to 5k is a good training app.
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP

Planning my "I'm 43 and just graduated from University" trip, August 2015

Me DH DD15 DD4
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #318
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzie72 View Post
My dad used to run marathons when I was in elementary school way back in the day. He had to give them up because of his back. When I started running, he started running again. We did a couple of 5k races together and it was the best thing that my dad has ever done with me. Even though I finished before him, I would walk/run back to finish with him. He isn't able to run anymore but he can sure walk. He loves that I am still running and he wants to hear all about my races, even the small ones.
awwww... I love this.

I posted the recap to the PHM meet up if anyone is interested!

http://margaritasmilesandmouse.blogs...ing-coast.html

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #319
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Minnie View Post
yoga is part of my cross training during the week.

Monday- AM Pilates / PM Run
Tuesday - Bootcamp Class
Wednesday - AM Run / PM Elliptical 30 mins
Thursday - Yoga in the AM / PM Elliptical 30 mins
Friday - Am Run
Saturday - Long Distance run or walk depending on the week
Sunday - Rest

I own an at home business and my bff and running partner is a yoga and Pilates instructor so she comes to my house during the week. Making my schedule so much easier than it has been in the past.
Oh that is so convenient!! There are lots of people offering private lessons in your own home where I live, but I would feel too awkward to do that. Having your bff do it makes it easy!!

I see you still do another form of cardio on those days as well though. I think this go-around, I'm going to have to do it that way. When I was taking yoga classes previously the classes were intense enough that it was a full workout, but the one I just started here is much more low key. I barely sweat at all today :P
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #320
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post

awwww... I love this.

I posted the recap to the PHM meet up if anyone is interested!

http://margaritasmilesandmouse.blogs...ing-coast.html
Ya know- I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing... Then when I kinda caught wind I thought you had to be "somebody" to go. This is just for regular people? How far was the run? Do they do this for every race or just the Tink and phm
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #321
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Ya know- I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing... Then when I kinda caught wind I thought you had to be "somebody" to go. This is just for regular people? How far was the run? Do they do this for every race or just the Tink and phm
They do it for all the 1/2 and marathon races- not 10 miler or EE.

ANYONE willing to devote hours to stalking out the blog and refreshing like crazy can get in! But you have to be fast when they send out that tweet!

They do open invitations to media types as well (Kelly with Team-Sparkle is at most of them for example) but the rest of us are just regular old people. The hope is that the folks getting in are using social media (twitter, FB, blogs, etc) to spread the word about runDisney events. They encourage taking pictures and sending out live tweets or FB updates in the event.

Very cool experience!

Run is 2-3 miles. Tink was closer to 2 miles, PHM was 3.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

My No-Guilt Life
Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #322
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ANYONE willing to devote hours to stalking out the blog and refreshing like crazy can get in! But you have to be fast when they send out that tweet!

They do open invitations to media types as well (Kelly with Team-Sparkle is at most of them for example) but the rest of us are just regular old people. The hope is that the folks getting in are using social media (twitter, FB, blogs, etc) to spread the word about runDisney events. They encourage taking pictures and sending out live tweets or FB updates in the event.

Very cool experience!

Thanks for answering my questions! Sad they don't do it for the tot since that is the next one I am signed up for and will be doing it with friends.... But now I know for the next phm!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #323
AimKo
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Very cool experience!

Patty...just read your recaps...sounds AWESOME!! ...and I subscribed to your blog

Aimee

Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #324
tinkerbell87512
I would love to hear all about these secrets!

Hi everyone! I've got this little birdy in my ear telling me to sign up for this race when regerstration is open. There is something about the whole princess theme that I just love and the thought of running through Cinderella's castle just gives me goosebumps. Not to mention a work friend of mine just did this race last month and she had a blast.

A little about me: as of right now I'm working on losing weight and doing the C25K program. I'm doing an 80's themed 5k next month and I'm signed up for the ToT 10 miler in October. I've been eating clean and been on weight watchers. Currently down 50lbs! I know it will be a lot of hard work but I'm determined and I think I will be able to do this next Feb. Can't wait to read through this thread and get some tips and join in on the fun!

June 1992 August 2000 February 2002 July 2004 July 2005 June 2006 July 2007 October 2007 May 2008 & DCL November 2008 May 2009 Sept/Oct 2010 & DCL November 2011 August 2013 October 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #325
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimKo View Post
Patty...just read your recaps...sounds AWESOME!! ...and I subscribed to your blog

Aimee
Thanks Aimee! I appreciate it! And yep- the meet ups ARE awesome!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #326
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell87512 View Post
Hi everyone! I've got this little birdy in my ear telling me to sign up for this race when regerstration is open. There is something about the whole princess theme that I just love and the thought of running through Cinderella's castle just gives me goosebumps. Not to mention a work friend of mine just did this race last month and she had a blast.

A little about me: as of right now I'm working on losing weight and doing the C25K program. I'm doing an 80's themed 5k next month and I'm signed up for the ToT 10 miler in October. I've been eating clean and been on weight watchers. Currently down 50lbs! I know it will be a lot of hard work but I'm determined and I think I will be able to do this next Feb. Can't wait to read through this thread and get some tips and join in on the fun!
Congrats on your health journey! Glad you're joining us to get excited for the race!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #327
padisneyfour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingMom View Post
Most definitely you CAN do this. Start slow and work your way up to 5K. Couch to 5k is a good training app.
Thanks... I am trying.I walk some everyday now started using leslie sansone and try to build up each day a little longer. I am feeling good and I really want to do this....never tired anything before like this maybe its the whole milestone birthday thing and last daughter leaving for college too but i think it would be awesome and fun. We love disney too! I am looking at th C25K too.....thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #328
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padisneyfour View Post
Thanks... I am trying.I walk some everyday now started using leslie sansone and try to build up each day a little longer. I am feeling good and I really want to do this....never tired anything before like this maybe its the whole milestone birthday thing and last daughter leaving for college too but i think it would be awesome and fun. We love disney too! I am looking at th C25K too.....thanks.
Quote:
tinkerbell85712 Hi everyone! I've got this little birdy in my ear telling me to sign up for this race when regerstration is open. There is something about the whole princess theme that I just love and the thought of running through Cinderella's castle just gives me goosebumps. Not to mention a work friend of mine just did this race last month and she had a blast.

7 years ago I started with C25k, I was diagnosed with a hybrid of RA/AS at that time. I had gone the journey of losing weight after the birth of my daughter the 2 years prior to that. I wanted to prove to myself I could run and beat my disease before it beat me, what I didnt expect was I'd love running. I have completed running distances to half marathon since my rhuematologist wouldnt clear me for further. I've done triathlon through the grueling 70.3 half iron, and century bike rides. After the 70.3 they finally agreed to let me train this year for my first marathon, which I possibly will train for while training for a 70.3. I've had to push for every distance to be cleared, and push through that training but I've done it and I love it! I am hoping to be able attempt to Boston Qualify in fall 14 if my systems hold and possibly aim for the highest of all 140.6! I ran my first half marathon during a flare on prednisone and it was in San Fran! So if you ever think for one moment you cant yes you can! A mile is a mile doesnt matter if you run or walk it just do it. We all start somewhere. You can do this, and just know you'll probably fall in love with it.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #329
dizdreamer1955
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
7 years ago I started with C25k, I was diagnosed with a hybrid of RA/AS at that time. I had gone the journey of losing weight after the birth of my daughter the 2 years prior to that. I wanted to prove to myself I could run and beat my disease before it beat me, what I didnt expect was I'd love running. I have completed running distances to half marathon since my rhuematologist wouldnt clear me for further. I've done triathlon through the grueling 70.3 half iron, and century bike rides. After the 70.3 they finally agreed to let me train this year for my first marathon, which I possibly will train for while training for a 70.3. I've had to push for every distance to be cleared, and push through that training but I've done it and I love it! I am hoping to be able attempt to Boston Qualify in fall 14 if my systems hold and possibly aim for the highest of all 140.6! I ran my first half marathon during a flare on prednisone and it was in San Fran! So if you ever think for one moment you cant yes you can! A mile is a mile doesnt matter if you run or walk it just do it. We all start somewhere. You can do this, and just know you'll probably fall in love with it.
Amazing! Best wishes for good health...and thanks for the inspiration!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #330
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

Deleted
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP

Planning my "I'm 43 and just graduated from University" trip, August 2015

Me DH DD15 DD4

Last edited by WishingMom; 03-21-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
princess

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: