Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Most lines at WDW are wheelchair accessible and guests with ECVs and wheelchairs will be in line with everyone else. Check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread - link in my signature. Post one of that thread is an index to the rest of the posts.

The walking between things will be the problem and most of the distance. That is where small children need a stroller. In lines, she could walk (and should, to keep from her muscles cramping). She is also likely small enough that you can carry her if he gets tired in line - that's what other parents of small children do.
Using a stroller as a wheelchair would be n option you can use if she is too tired, too achy, etc.
You would not have to do it.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
MousekeMommy
Mouseketeer

If you do need to use the stroller as wheelchair option at times in line, don't be surprised if staff members don't see it at first and automatically direct you to park your stroller (they are human and crowds can be overwhelming). They are used to pointing the masses that direction, so feel free to politely point out your card/sticker to the staff members and ask where they would like you to go. They may still direct you to "park" in an area, but once they realize the situation, it is an area that will be walkable/carryable for your child.
MousekeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

and something else to remember (I'm stealing this from Sue) just because you get a GAC doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, every time. Think of it as insurance. If she's walking fine and feels fine, just park her stroller. If she's having trouble, you use it. You may find that she needs it more in the morning than later in the day, too. Lots of kids with JA wake up stiffer and get a little better as the day goes on.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobsessedwithdisney View Post
Thanks, I'm so stressing about all this. Last night I even had a dream that she was running through the line at pirates of Caribbean limping. Her ruematologist says that she has no restrictions and should be treated like any other kid but I kinda feel like Wdw is a little different. I don't want to aggravate her joints. When using the stroller as a wheelchair can I use all the regular lines or do I have to go in a wheelchair or evc line. I would rather use the regular one bc I don't want her to feel like she needs special accommodations and that she is grouped in with wheelchairs and evc (no disrespect for ppl that have to use them, I just don't want to make her feel limited if I don't have to). Thanks again, Lisa
I have a disability which requires a GAC about 20% of the time. So most of the time I'm just fine, as it sounds like your kiddo is. As much as possible, I leave my GAC in my pocket. If I can handle whatever is in front of me I do. If I can't, the GAC makes it okay.

If you get her a GAC and she never uses it, you've cost yourself 15 minutes at Guest Relations for some peace of mind. Also, at 2, I don't think she's going to notice what line she's in. She's still little enough not to recognize special treatment.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: