Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Our Ratings of Afternoon Tea at GF: (rev 2/10/13)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: D
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: The "Tea" is in a gracious atmosphere overlooking the pool and
gardens of the Grand Floridian. A relaxing way to put a civilized break into
a hectic park day. The negative for the true tea aficionado, is they serve
only Pekoe (BOP or OP) for non-green tea. Reservations are almost a must.
Casual "park attire" is fine, or you can "dress up". You can order packages
or ala-carte from the menu.

NOTE2: Prices were increased in July 2011 and Sally Lunn was discontinued.
This makes the eatery overpriced compared to other Afternoon Teas in the
area. Even the Ritz is cheaper.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

I love this place, and you can actually purchase tins of their tea to take home. I left that place with over $125 of tea and enjoy it everyday!!!
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

black562 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We love the tea at the Garden View Tea Room. DD and I go every trip. We have never been rushed and the servers always tell us there is no hurry and to take our time.

I highly recommend it!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Just a tip, if you are having trouble making an adr on the website just call. For some reason I've always had to call to book it. Never had luck on the website. We absolutely love the Garden View Tea Room for afternoon tea. Enjoy!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
PotteryGal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmacats View Post
Funny, my family and I did this tea the same time as the blog reviewer (Dec. 2011) and our experience couldn't have been more opposite. We were seated promptly, had a leisurely tea (about 2 hours), never felt rushed, and our special requests were accomodated with no problem (I got the Grand Tea but with the kids' sandwiches from the Mrs. Potts tea instead of the adult sandwiches; my uncle can't eat black pepper and I guess some of the sandwich fillings have pepper because the chef made him a huge plate of different sandwiches for him to try). Also, we were given platters of pastries rather than being forced to choose two, but that might have been because we were a large group of 7. This was one of our favorite experiences at Disney, and DH and I will be doing it again on our trip in a few weeks. I can't wait!
Thank you for mentioning this; I cannot eat items w/ black pepper in them either ~ do you remember which sandwiches have them? My DD and I are going there in June as a belated nod to her turning 16 in May .....and we are thinking of getting the Buckingham Palace tea, which includes the sandwiches. I will have to ask them about it.
PotteryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
BlackMagicWoman
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad I saw this here. I know that my mom would adore doing this for her birthday. She is a huge tea fan. I think that the price is quite reasonable. I believe that I paid $60 for the tea at the Plaza here in NYC.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra
Just a tip, if you are having trouble making an adr on the website just call. For some reason I've always had to call to book it. Never had luck on the website. We absolutely love the Garden View Tea Room for afternoon tea. Enjoy!
It was on the site briefly but not now. So you have to call.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

I've been to the Afternoon Tea at the GF 3 times and have never had a bad experience. Except for the time I went on an all girls adult trip for F&W and was a lil hungover but that was my fault! I'm not used to drinking and sampled too much wine the day before. oops

I've taken my granddaughters twice and they've requested to go on our upcoming October trip too. We've always felt welcomed and the food, especially the scones and triffel are so good. Several years ago my then 6yo DGD accidently spilt her tea (choc milk) once and she was sooooo embarrased. The waitress even made her feel better about it by saying she does the same thing every day and just wiped it up in about 10 seconds and it was a total non issue.

I've had tea at other nice hotels including The Brown Palace in Denver and recommend it highly!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

I highly recommend this experience. It is not on the DDP, in case anyone was curious. When we went, we skipped lunch and went right at 2 and turned it into a late lunch. We had the Prince Edward's Tea and strawberries for dessert. It was plenty of food.

I also wanted to say that this isn't an adult-only tea, just so there's no confusion. Yes, it is likely mostly adults who attend, but children are more than welcome.

I'm not sure if they still serve Mad Hatter tea but if they do be sure to try it!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
karmacats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotteryGal View Post
Thank you for mentioning this; I cannot eat items w/ black pepper in them either ~ do you remember which sandwiches have them? My DD and I are going there in June as a belated nod to her turning 16 in May .....and we are thinking of getting the Buckingham Palace tea, which includes the sandwiches. I will have to ask them about it.
Sorry, I don't remember which sandwiches were the problem - I ate the kids' sandwiches, so I don't even remember what the adult sandwich choices were. When I made the reservation online I checked the box saying we had allergies at the table (we also had a shellfish allergy and a nut allergy), so the chef came to talk to us when we sat down, and we were able to explain about the pepper. I've heard you might have to call rather than reserving online these days, but if you tell the CM on the phone they will note the allergy, and a chef will come talk to you before they serve any food. My uncle got his food at the same time as the rest of us, so it didn't seem to take them too long to think up some non-peppered sandwiches for him.

If it's helpful, Le Cellier was really great re catering to his pepper intolerance also, and IIRC I think the Flying Fish was, too.
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #26
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

I took for my mom for her birthday 12/10/12. Our server was wonderful! We were not rushed and they gave mom a pink rose for her birthday, which I thought was nice. I even ordered tea which I am not at all a tea drinker I normally hate it but I loved the Princess Tea blend that exclusive for them. I will be doing a full blown review on my TR soon as I took pictures of everything overall we throughly enjoyed ourselves and it was a wonderful Mother Daughter afternoon.

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

They don't seem to be doing the rose anymore. We went twice in Feb and there were no flowers given.

It was still lovely, but there have been changes.

I've now gone with as young as 4 and as wise as 70+, both men and women, boys and girls, and ALL have loved it. (and there's something about that place that just brings out the manners!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
3honzes
Earning My Ears

We loved the tea when we went. When my parents went last fall to universal they made a special trip over to Disney just to do the tea.
3honzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #29
Sandi12404
Mouseketeer

I hope someone here can answer a question for me. My mom and dd8 are both tea drinkers and would like to do this one day. I saw that the children's option is served with chocolate milk but she loves tea. Can she get tea instead?

me hubby dd15 dd9 ds 1
Sandi12404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #30
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi12404 View Post
I hope someone here can answer a question for me. My mom and dd8 are both tea drinkers and would like to do this one day. I saw that the children's option is served with chocolate milk but she loves tea. Can she get tea instead?
She can order off of the regular menu or she can ask to sub a pot of tea.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: