Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
birthygirl
Earning My Ears

Large child in stroller

I have a son who is 52" and 90lbs (yes, he is overweight for his age) and has dyspraxia. I am taking him and my 40 lb, 43" son to WDW in June. Has anyone ever used a double stroller with more than the weight limit? Or should I consider renting a Liberty pushchair for my older one? I'd really just like to avoid having two strollers, but I'm afraid that might be the only option as I don't think either can go a full day without one.

birthygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

Wow! This was exactly what I came on here to find out about! My 6 year old son also has dyspraxia (along with sensory processing disorder) - his gross motor skills are on par with a 3.5 year old. But to make matters worse...he is the size of a 12 year old (not exaggerating - he is taller than half of my daughter's 7th grade friends) and he is also overweight. Walking Disney is going to be a huge challenge - but I don't know of any stroller that would fit him (plus he would probably look ridiculous in it). I'm afraid to use a wheelchair because he doesn't appear to others as to having any problems (I know I should worry about other people - but it can be hard not to). So, would love to hear thoughts and suggestions too!
ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
zomama
Mouseketeer

I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to say that my dd has dyspraxia too. I very rarely hear of other children who have it.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
birthygirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner View Post
Wow! This was exactly what I came on here to find out about! My 6 year old son also has dyspraxia (along with sensory processing disorder) - his gross motor skills are on par with a 3.5 year old. But to make matters worse...he is the size of a 12 year old (not exaggerating - he is taller than half of my daughter's 7th grade friends) and he is also overweight. Walking Disney is going to be a huge challenge - but I don't know of any stroller that would fit him (plus he would probably look ridiculous in it). I'm afraid to use a wheelchair because he doesn't appear to others as to having any problems (I know I should worry about other people - but it can be hard not to). So, would love to hear thoughts and suggestions too!
My son is 6 as well. SPD can be part of dyspraxia from what I've learned. My son has that as well. Gross motor and muscle tone are his biggest physical concerns (fine motor are not affected). The Liberty pushchair says it goes up to 100 lbs so it would work for my son. My husband doesn't want to use a stroller for him and just wants to work on his endurance with walks. That's a good start ,but I think having a stroller will easily cut down the amount of "I'm too tired" or "I need to sit down"'s we hear. I think it will make it more enjoyable for him, too.

And I'm with you on the appearance of things. It's an interesting condition and I almost dislike that you can't just look and see that something's wrong. I in some ways feel like that would help people to understand better, if that makes any sense at all.

birthygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

And I'm with you on the appearance of things. It's an interesting condition and I almost dislike that you can't just look and see that something's wrong. I in some ways feel like that would help people to understand better, if that makes any sense at all.[/QUOTE]

I completely understand what you mean by that - it makes sense. We did Disney Land last year and went without the stroller because I wanted to work on the endurance; I'm just worried that Disney World is so much bigger and there is so much more to do. We're only there for 5 days, so I'm going to want to go, go, go (my son will want to sit and rest, rest, rest!) . I'll just have to slow it down and be happy with what we get to do!
ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Emteach
DIS Veteran

I would think that the ones that you can rent in Disney would be able to work for your kiddos. While we did not use those on our most recent trip (brought our own) most amusement parks I believe have very similar ones. I know a couple of years ago we rented a double at another theme park (same durable plastic kind) for my brother and sister, who was 10 at the time and it worked out well. Our only issue was with her height, she had to crouch so he head didn't hit the roof. Not sure if this is of any help, just thought I would post. Have a wonderful trip

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

Our DS has cerebral palsy and we did a double last year when he was 72lbs and 49 inches .he is too big now..I would get the push chair
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthygirl View Post
I have a son who is 52" and 90lbs (yes, he is overweight for his age) and has dyspraxia. I am taking him and my 40 lb, 43" son to WDW in June. Has anyone ever used a double stroller with more than the weight limit? Or should I consider renting a Liberty pushchair for my older one? I'd really just like to avoid having two strollers, but I'm afraid that might be the only option as I don't think either can go a full day without one.
I think the Liberty Pushchair (or another special needs stroller) would be a better idea than a double. That is 90lbs + 40lbs is quite a bit of weight to push, and also very unbalanced because one is so much heavier than the other. Plus the 2nd stroller would allow you to split up if necessary. Just a note...the Liberty Pushchair is good, but large and rather cumbersome when folded. If he doesn't really need reclining, have you looked into a Maclaren Major? He'd fit the weight limit, and it folds compactly and rather lightweight like a traditional umbrella stroller. I believe a couple of the w/c vendors listed in the FAQ sticky rent these, or they did a couple of years ago (we ended up buying one so I can't say for sure). Coupled with a regular umbrella stroller for your littler one, this would be preferable for me rather than overloading a double.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
joanchris
Mouseketeer

Do you think that if you rented the one larger pushchair or McLaran you could give the children turns in it? Or would they likely need to ride at the same times?
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary

Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Piper
DIS Veteran

birthygirl....I just sent you a private message.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

Using a stroller with children over the wieght limit may result in a buckled wheel or two. It happened with my sister last June. We had a stroller for her youngest who is autistic, and the middle child (with learning disabilities) begged to ride in it when his brother wasn't. Well that front wheel buckled. Luckily it wasn't a rental, just an old one my sister dug out for the trip.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
I think the Liberty Pushchair (or another special needs stroller) would be a better idea than a double. That is 90lbs + 40lbs is quite a bit of weight to push, and also very unbalanced because one is so much heavier than the other. Plus the 2nd stroller would allow you to split up if necessary. Just a note...the Liberty Pushchair is good, but large and rather cumbersome when folded. If he doesn't really need reclining, have you looked into a Maclaren Major? He'd fit the weight limit, and it folds compactly and rather lightweight like a traditional umbrella stroller. I believe a couple of the w/c vendors listed in the FAQ sticky rent these, or they did a couple of years ago (we ended up buying one so I can't say for sure). Coupled with a regular umbrella stroller for your littler one, this would be preferable for me rather than overloading a double.

Enjoy your vacation!

This. If you have two adults available for pushing, split up the weight. Even if you don't damage the double stroller, you'll damage yourself. They aren't ergonomically designed for you to manage that much weight in them and I'd be worried about your back and shoulders.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

don't know if the weight limit would work for you but we got a "Special Tomato" brand, it is larger than regular stroller and our neuro dr gave us a prescription so insurance covered it completely. we tried a rental a few years ago, and although it was better than overworking her by all the walking, she was very uncomfortable in it. she also has sensory issues, so if something isn't right, she lets you know.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
mydisneyboys
Earning My Ears

I have been looking into getting a special tomato for my 9 year old. Thank you so much for the post about insurance covering it. I had never even thought of going that route!
mydisneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

we have the eio pushchair from special tomato. it is very much like the last regular stroller we had, just alittle larger. she was getting too big for reg one. this one is perfect for her, we have had it for 2 or 3 yrs now and she still fits fine. easy to push. they aren't cheap, so I was very thankful insurance worked for us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: