Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
stitchrulz
I am not spoiled -- A bit past the expiration date, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
i encourage everyone to email Disney and complain. if you are upset, then contact them.
I'm laughing at the prospect that Disney honestly gives a hoot what we think. (I'm NOT laughing at you, fairestoneofall! ) Oh, they might pay lip service if you contact them. But, from past experience, the only thing that gets Disney's attention regarding decisions like this is their bottom line. The best way to let them know is to start taking our vacation dollars elsewhere.
1995 - CBR (Honeymoon!) 1996 - Dixie Landings 1997 - CBR 2000 - CBR 2001 - SOG 2002 - Contemporary 2003 - Contemporary 2004 - SOG 2005 - Polynesian (10th Anniversary!) 2006 - WL 2007 SOG 2008 - SOG 2009 - Polynesian
2012 - Polynesian
In memory of Stubs, our beloved "Pud" 04/10/2007
stitchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Really the only perk to a summer vacation at Disney (the crowds! the heat!) are those magical late night hours at the MK. Its almost worth it to brave July for those incredible 2 am rides on Splash Mountain, when the night is warm and still and the crowds have dispersed.

Cutting out one of the hours was a bummer, cutting out a whole night really stinks.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
bgg319
Earning My Ears

It really threw a wrench in our plans. What time does the park generally close in the Summer? Maybe staying offsite is the way to go in the future.
bgg319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Not surprising at all. A long time ago, in the '90s, we had E-nights. You could buy, for about $13 if I remember correctly, admission to the MK for an addlt period after the park closed for the day/night. It was wonderful!!! The crowds were much smaller than they are with EMHs. Well, after a few years of that, Disney decided that the guests 'wanted' more character interaction and not the addtl park hours. So, they did away with E-nights and gave us characters in the resorts early each day. Yeah, that didn't go as they planned. Guests just didn't care. They wanted to be in the parks, not hanging around their resorts, taking photos with characters!!
So, Disney did away with those and came up with EMHs. Now, we are all so used to using EMHs that we can't really comprehend a trip without them. When Disney did away with the nighttime EMHs at AK it was very telling. A lot of us thought that things were going to start changing. Then, Disney took an hour away at night...yep, another change. Now? An entire night gone.
I seriously doubt that Disney much cares about the guests that say they will no longer stay onsite without EMHs. Disney knows that they will lose some people but not nearly enough to make a dent.

I have to think that this all has to do with the new wristbands coming along. Who knows what Disney is going to do as far as after hours perks. They'll come up with something, but who knows what. And I'm sure we'll all disagree as to the 'wonderfulness' of whatever it is they come up with for us!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
cbonewjersey
Mouseketeer

Not sure I agree

Our trip is late August, Sat8/24 - Sat8/31. EMH for MK evening is that Sunday during our stay, and Friday night, it's EPCOT. DHS is monday night. So is the complaint that in the past, no matter what, Friday night was EMH at MK, and the rest of it varied?

I do agree that 3 hrs to 2 hrs sucks, and do see a reduction overall of EMH both morning and evening.
cbonewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzDoll View Post
I tend to agree. We stay on property because we utilize both EMH's and to eliminate the Friday night EMH at MK for the summer makes absolutely no sense at all. In total agreement with the lunacy of prices going up for less (and more expensive) enjoyment. I LOVE MK at night with all the lights on, and walking down Main Street all lit up. For me that's part of the magic. I love being among the last to leave the park so I can see the Kiss Goodnight and wave to and chitter chat with those adorable CMs waving everyone a goodnight. Oh well, as George Harrison said, all things must pass (I suppose).
Sorry, off topic, but what is the Kiss Goodnight? Have I been missing something all these years of late night departures???

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacClemsons View Post
Limited TIME Magic. They are limiting your time in MK.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #23
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
Not surprising at all. A long time ago, in the '90s, we had E-nights. You could buy, for about $13 if I remember correctly, admission to the MK for an addlt period after the park closed for the day/night. It was wonderful!!! The crowds were much smaller than they are with EMHs. Well, after a few years of that, Disney decided that the guests 'wanted' more character interaction and not the addtl park hours. So, they did away with E-nights and gave us characters in the resorts early each day. Yeah, that didn't go as they planned. Guests just didn't care. They wanted to be in the parks, not hanging around their resorts, taking photos with characters!!
So, Disney did away with those and came up with EMHs. Now, we are all so used to using EMHs that we can't really comprehend a trip without them. When Disney did away with the nighttime EMHs at AK it was very telling. A lot of us thought that things were going to start changing. Then, Disney took an hour away at night...yep, another change. Now? An entire night gone.
I seriously doubt that Disney much cares about the guests that say they will no longer stay onsite without EMHs. Disney knows that they will lose some people but not nearly enough to make a dent.

I have to think that this all has to do with the new wristbands coming along. Who knows what Disney is going to do as far as after hours perks. They'll come up with something, but who knows what. And I'm sure we'll all disagree as to the 'wonderfulness' of whatever it is they come up with for us!
Perhaps they're taking it away from us now so that they can sell it back to us later. If you have the onsite wristband, you can enter the closed MK at 10 pm and - voila - your credit card is charged $19.95 (plus tax).

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
The park hours calendar posted here on the DIS also shows no Evening EMH for Magic Kingdom the week of Sept 22 to Sept 28.

I did notice that compared to last year's calendar that the parks are staying open a little later (an hour here or there)

I too will miss evening EMH. DH would stay with the little kids and the adults and the big kids would go back for some big kid fun.

It is curious that EMH was the main marketing that was used to entice people to stay on property. With the reduction of this benefit, I will be interested to see what the on property advantage will be, especially since we bit the apple a few years ago and purchased into DVC and have become fond of our annual pass.
Sept 22nd is a MK PM EMH day.

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Perhaps they're taking it away from us now so that they can sell it back to us later. If you have the onsite wristband, you can enter the closed MK at 10 pm and - voila - your credit card is charged $19.95 (plus tax).
Along with any fastpasses we want over three or one per attraction.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
stinkpickle
Mouseketeer

I would love to do some kinda dusk-to-dawn special to avoid the crowds and heat. I might even go during the summer. Oh well, back to dreaming...
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post

E-Ride nights were the best! I always say that the $10 (I think they raised it later on) I spent for E-Ride nights was the best money I ever spent at WDW. The MK was pratically empty. We rode Splash, BTMR, Space, HM, POTC all multiple times in a row without getting off. If the elimination of EMH led to the return of E-Ride nights, I'm all for it. That is, assuming it returned in a very similar fashion. However, if E-Ride nights did return, the price would likely be tripled and the "limited" number of tickets they sold would probably increase 10-fold.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
kymom99
DIS Veteran

I'm sure if they brought back the e-ride nights the crowds would be terrible. I have never been to any of the parties but I hear they are wall to wall people. I guess if they did it that way, it wouldn't necessarily be for on site guests.

We were at MK emh back in 2010 on a Friday night and the crwods were insane. what I noticed was a lot of teens. I was wondering if a big part of the crowd was locals. The CM at SM was being very vigilant about who she let on the ride, but some of the CMs at other rides were half heartedly checking for proof that people were actually onsite guests. this could be part of the problem. But I would have thought the bracelets would have taken care of this.
June 2008: POFQ
June 2009: Cape Cod
June 2010: CBR The whole gang!
July 2011: Holiday World
July 2012: 1st trip to Disneyland!
June 2013: Siesta Key and RCCL Bahamas
June 2014: Pittsburgh, PA
kymom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Perish the thought!!! I can absolutely imagine Disney doing something similar to that. I loved the E-nights. Yes, we paid for them, but not all that many people felt the need to pay more, so they left at park closing. The crowds were never bad.
That's the issue with the parties now. Disney used to limit the number of tickets sold. Now??? Yeah, they don't much care how many people are in there. They know how many MK can hold....then they sell as many party tickets as they can. They even took away a lot of the discounted ticket nights we used to get. Disney knows the more popular nights to go...they track how many tickets are sold to AP holders and DVC members. If they see a huge number of us going on particular nights, they do away with those nights the next year!!! Drives me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
Sorry, off topic, but what is the Kiss Goodnight? Have I been missing something all these years of late night departures???
After the park is 'officially' closed, the Castle comes alive...so to speak. It has all different colors, and there is spoken word. You are wished a 'good night' from Mickey!!! It's truly quite magical. In all my years of going to WDW, I had never seen it before. Until last Dec. We had an ADR at BoG at 9ish. We left the restaurant around 10:15 or so. The park had closed after the fireworks show at 9. So, the park was really empty when we got to the Castle area. Imagine my surprise, as I walked through the Castle, and getting to the front entry, when it came alive around me. It was wonderful!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew98f1AvtKU

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: