Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #31
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

I think given the facts, you should skip Hollywood Studios. Your daughter is not old enough for the thrill rides, and what may appeal to her would be the shows: Beauty and Beast live show, and the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. The Toystory mania ride is great but to go to a park for 1 ride isn't worth it. Plus as someone else stated, the new Fantasyland at MK has a Mermaid ride and has a lot more princess stuff.

We aren't skipping HS b/c I have a 6 year old boy (Well almost 7!) that is very much into Star Wars and enjoys the Jedi training, as well as the Star Tours Ride. My daughter and I will do Beauty and the Beast and Mermaid show. Aside from those things and the toy story ride, there isn't much else that will appeal to us... oh and the fantasmic show but we are coming back for that at night after our mid day break. We are looking forward to Pizza Planet and the honey i shrunk the kids play area too, but honestly, if it weren't for my son loving the Jedi training and Star Tours, HS would be low on our list for parks.
purpledisneyprncess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #32
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

Wow! Thanks for all the great info!

The hubs isn't a Star Wars fan so there wasn't really a draw to see some of the park from the get go.

Also, even though DD is tall enough I don't think she is ready emotionally to ride any of the attractions at HS (besides TSM).

I thought about getting a park hopper, but since its our very first visit, being inexperienced hoppers, we probably wouldn't be able to effectively use it.

We will most likely be standing around staring at everything.

Well, I'll probably be crying watching DD. she has no idea we are taking her!
messyjessy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We did AK on our first trip and have skipped it every trip since. But if your child is kind of young, not sure how old your child is, then they may love seeing all the animals at AK.

If your child is younger than 5 or 6 they may not be tall enough or brave enough YET to ride the bigger rides at HS.

We will only give HS a half a day and MK a half a day on our next trip. Epcot gets a whole day and US and IOA get a whole day.

But if you do have young kids I think MK is probably the best park for them because it is geared towards younger kids.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #34
tekoa
DIS Veteran

Never feel bad about skipping AK. Only a couple of things there that we care about.
tekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
My family routinely skips AK unless we have a 4-day trip or longer.
We haven't been to AK since June 2011 and we've taken three trips since then. It is typically the one that we only spend about half of a day there. Many disagree, but that is how we feel too, Mesa.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #36
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

I love AK but we have to miss not this time to do Sea World. Ak is a half day which I usually enjoy bc we also do pool and downtown that day... But this time saw world

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #37
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

Although HS is our favorite, I think it makes sense for you to skip it.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Except for Fantasmic I do not like HS at all. And neither did my kids when they were young.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #39
manda07
Earning My Ears

My DD will be 5 on our next trip and we're skipping HS. We went last year and the only things she enjoyed were the Beauty & the Beast show, the parade (which I just read is ending), and meeting a few characters. My DH had to run her out of the Little Mermaid show because it was soooo dark and she's terrified of Ursula. So, until she's older and likes the thrill rides or other shows, we're skipping it.

My DD loved AK, as she loves animals and nature - she really enjoyed the Safari!

10/12 - POR, DD's first visit
6/13 - Vero Beach
10/13 - POR
manda07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #40
KyWildcatGirl01
Mouseketeer

We have skipped AK a lot. I just dislike it the most. The only thing I like there is the safari and tough to be a big. Since this will be DS's first trip we may go for the safari since we have park hoppers but if we didnt I would skip it! MK is my FAVORITE park!!

KyWildcatGirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjessy

Am I making a mistake skipping HS? Is there anything super amazing that we will miss there?

Help please. We leave in 20 days.
IMO, you are doing the correct thing for a 3-year-old.

Aside from shows, the only thing she may enjoy is Toy Story Mania. With the typical waits for that particular ride, it probably would not be worth it for a child her age.

Having recent experience with my preshool grandchildren at WDW, I think your plan looks great.

Enjoy your trip and don't fret about missing HS. It will be there when your DD is older.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using DISBoards
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #42
CrazyMarchHare
Earning My Ears

Oh yeah. First trip, everything (of course). Second trip, I think both AK and DHS were out. :D

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards
CrazyMarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #43
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

We always go go longer trips but if we were doing a short trip, we would skip HS entirely. For us personally there isn't enough to go to this park when compared to MK, AK and EP. During our last trip (we went for 3 weeks) we spend 1 1/2 days at HS and that was more than enough for us.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #44
Tbiafore
Mouseketeer

If its your first time, do you really wan to go to MK 3 times and miss a whole park? I would consider swapping out that last MK for HS.

There is lots of good shows at HS (Fantasmic, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones). Also there are great character meet and greets there as well as some great rides!

Just missing the whole experience of HS I wouldnt risk on my first time.

--Thor
Tbiafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #45
nat8199
Mouseketeer

For our trip in Oct (our kids' first) we are doing 3 MK days, 2 Epcot, and 1 AK. We are skipping Hollywood Studios completely.

Too many pre-family to count!

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 4 DS - 3 DS - 3
nat8199 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: