Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
Incorrect

We have also purchased a 3 night plan while on a 7 night sailing. This was in Sept 2012.
You are correct. We are just off the Fantasy on Feb 16th and you can purchase any # you want.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
You are correct. We are just off the Fantasy on Feb 16th and you can purchase any # you want.
Agreed. We were on the January 12 Fantasy Eastern and purchased a 5 bottle premium package for a 7 night cruise. At the last dinner we shared the fifth bottle (a sparkling wine) with our table mates as a celebration (we loved our table mates!). We would have preferred a champagne, but there wasn't one on the list. We did not have to choose all of the wines when we ordered the package, but chose wines that complimented our entrees during the cruise. The process was very smooth and we'd do it again.
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #33
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredzMan View Post
Some observations from past wine experiences on DCL.

First, they don't tell you the vintages of the wines on the website. For some people this can make a difference, for us, not a real big deal. The good part is that most of the wines are of vintages that you can't get in your local wine shop. A couple examples are the Kim Crawford (white) and the Greg Norman (red) wines offered on the premium package. Both of them I can't get locally, but only online.

Now for the math, on our 7 night cruise, it came down to about $41 a bottle. Price out what you can get locally and match it up to the selections you think you'd want. In our case both the Crawford and Norman wines run under $20 each, so we 'lost' money on them.
When you say locally, I presume you mean from a liquor store or wine merchant, not another restaurant, correct ?

The 41 dollars a bottle also gives you the opportunity to avoid corkage fees. sure you could get the same bottle of wine cheaper somewhere else, but not many landlocked restaurants would let you bring in your own wine and not charge corkage. with restaurant mark up of wine being about 100% ( depending on the market) I dont think you "lost" much on anything on them ( this is with the assumption that you are getting the bottles retail).

If you want middle of the road wines, I think its pretty much a wash if you consider the cost + corkage. If I get a 20 dollar bottle of norman and then have the 20 dollar corkage that's not all that far off from the 41. I think the only time it makes sense is for exceptional wines where the difference between the retail cost and the cost in a restaurant is in great excess of the 20 dollar corkage fee. like a 100 dollar bottle that would be 120 with corkage vs 200 if bought on the ship ( assuming the markups are the same)
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #34
CrystalSpice
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evasmommy

Thank you so much!
Ditto!
CrystalSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

Great info. Now I am thirsty ;-) If I have a favorite wine not listed anywhere, can I request it be stocked and included in my wine package?
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #36
EllinK
Earning My Ears

Wine package or not?

On our two previous trips we took wine. Bought it in Vancouver when we went to AK and brought it from home when we went to MR. Knew it would be a hassle to get it to FL but nothing on the wine list is speaking to me. So, I think I will put together a 6 pack of red, white and champagne (we have a great collection of our own) and check it with our luggage. Now I'm looking forward to choosing those bottles...
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllinK
So, I think I will put together a 6 pack of red, white and champagne (we have a great collection of our own) and check it with our luggage.
You can check it for the plane, but you will need to repack it into a carryon to bring it onboard.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #38
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
Great info. Now I am thirsty ;-) If I have a favorite wine not listed anywhere, can I request it be stocked and included in my wine package?
No, but you can bring it on board and simply pay the corkage fee to have it served at your table.

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
m4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #39
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
From our experience it is indeed possible to buy a package with less bottles than nights of the cruise. They may not tell you this voluntarily, but if you ask, they will gladly sell you a 3 or 4 night package on a seven day cruise. We did this for an Alaskan cruise in 2011, we didn't realize this was possible, but asked and they did sell us a 4 bottle package for a 7 night cruise. I think they realize that some people may not want a bottle every single night, and at least they are still selling something they might not have sold otherwise.
To add to this, DH and I were on the Dream recently and did a 4 & 3 nt. back-to-back. On the first day we purchased a 3-bottle order and were able to carry it over from the first cruise to the second (we drank about half a bottle at dinner...wine lightweights, I know!). They seem to be very obliging about the packages.

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #40
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosGram

To add to this, DH and I were on the Dream recently and did a 4 & 3 nt. back-to-back. On the first day we purchased a 3-bottle order and were able to carry it over from the first cruise to the second (we drank about half a bottle at dinner...wine lightweights, I know!). They seem to be very obliging about the packages.
That is great to hear. We are doing back to backs for our next 3 cruises and figured we wouldn't be getting a wine package at all as we don't drink a full bottle each night.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #41
EllinK
Earning My Ears

How to: have cold wine with dinner

If we bring out own wine, how do we get it to the server to chill it for dinner? Last time we had a champagne bucket and ice in our room but it would be really handy to be able to drop it off earlier. We never managed to do this because the servers are in various locations at lunch time.

Has anyone figured this out?
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllinK View Post
If we bring out own wine, how do we get it to the server to chill it for dinner? Last time we had a champagne bucket and ice in our room but it would be really handy to be able to drop it off earlier. We never managed to do this because the servers are in various locations at lunch time.

Has anyone figured this out?
We tried this for Remy but missed them being open but we felt the same way you did. I'd have rathered been able to drop several bottles of our own wine off and picked from my own wine each night rather than lugging a bottle around with me until dinner ESPECIALLY when it was sparkling and had been iced. We saw people carrying their wine wrapped in towels because of the condensation.

As a side note, we had a very nice 01 CA sparkling that we brought to Remy and when the sommelier came back to the table after tasting it he said: it was nice but lacking in champagne. (or something to that effect) We like the wine and had been saving the 01 for a special occasion and I thought his backward comment was rather rude.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #43
maddysmom
Earning My Ears

Question - I will be the only one drinking - it's just me and my dd9. I like to drink a glass or two of wine (preferably sparkling) while getting ready for show and dinner and then a glass with dinner. What is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking of a wine package but to be honest, can't imagine I will get close to 3 bottles! Can I purchase a bottle for the room and one for the dining room or just order by the glass? Thanks.
maddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #44
Jcmh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post

Jerry, I looked on the Iron Horse website and see that this is rose in color? Is it a sweet sparkling wine or dry?

J
I am an Iron Horse member and receive a couple bottles of the Fairy Tale Cuvée every year. It is not sweet at all. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being extremely dry and 10 being a sparkling dessert wine, it is probably a 3 or 4, depending on the year. By contrast, I would rank Rosa Regale a 7 or 8. The Fairy Tale cuvée is lovely and pairs with all kinds of meals quite beautifully.

While I would not go out of my way to drink the majority of the wines on the wine packages, I will most often purchase one of the 3-4 night wine packages just for the Fairy Tale Cuvee. It is a very good value for the quality.

Incidentally, should you ever make your way to Sonoma Valley, it's worth the trek to this vineyard. Lovely setting and really down-to-earth friendly people. They make you feel like you are visiting their family farm (which you are, actually!).
Jcmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #45
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
Question - I will be the only one drinking - it's just me and my dd9. I like to drink a glass or two of wine (preferably sparkling) while getting ready for show and dinner and then a glass with dinner. What is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking of a wine package but to be honest, can't imagine I will get close to 3 bottles! Can I purchase a bottle for the room and one for the dining room or just order by the glass? Thanks.
If you think over the course of the cruise that you will finish a bottle, then order a bottle and it will "follow" you to dinner each night. You could always bring one onboard to enjoy in your room. I'm not sure if they will let you take the bottle from dinner back to your room. Never thought of it.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: