Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

With the fact that FD hasn't been offered yet, and may not be, and the fact that EMH now are going to slowly start to get cut, I wonder if this year we will see a drop in attendance. I have heard from a few people that they are holding out for FD and if they don't get it they may have to cancel. Plus, I'm sure there are many others who haven't booked yet who are waiting for it to come when it may not.

Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Gizmo4
Earning My Ears

We went last year from 9/14 to 9/21. It was hot, humid, and we thought the crowds were crazy at the MK - the other parks weren't bad. It rained all afternoon/evening on two of our days... we had a good time, but will try another month next time.
Gizmo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
gingerfeathers
Mouseketeer

Granted we didn't go in 2012, but we always go in September, and we've never had a huge problem with crowds. Some fastpasses for popular attractions (Soarin', Toy Story Mania, etc.) will go quickly, but still compared to the 2+ hour waits for rides during peak times, it's perfectly reasonable. I feel like the longest we've waited is about 30 minutes for TSM and Everest. It seems we wait about 30 minutes for one ride per year.

The restaurants are generally busy, but again it hasn't been a huge issue for us since we make ADRs 180 days out.

9/08 - Honeymoon at the Poly and on the Disney Wonder, 9/09 - Anniversary trip to the POFQ, 9/11 - Wilderness Lodge, 9/13 - Back to Wilderness Lodge!

Me (29) and DH (39)
Our furkids
gingerfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
tweetie
Mouseketeer

Is there a part of September that would be better, the beginning, middle, or towards the end? We have planned the week of the 14th but could change to the week of the 7th. I haven't been in September in 6 years, it was great then but with some of the previous post makes me nervous.
tweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
Nohal
DIS Veteran

We have gone the middle of September every year for the last 10 years. The first few years we went virtually everything was walk on. Enter the Halloweed party and free dining and the crowds picked up every year since. It is still a good time to go because it's not as crowded as most other times of the year. Like everyone says it is hot and humid and rains almost every day. The rain doesn't usually last long, but be prepared for it.
Nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31 View Post
Last year, we were there 9/15 through 9/25 & it was more crowded than the previous year when we were there September 2011. And September 2011 (our 1st September) was more crowded than I thought it would be.

Weather was hot, but unbearably so (but we live in the South).
Agree! Must be the name (I'm Wendy too!)

We arrived 9/24 in 2011 and found our week to be more crowded than I was anticipating for September, but still very tolerable. Our wait times were mostly 20 minutes or less except for the headliners. It seems as though the later it gets in September, the more crowded it becomes.

Being from NY, we found it extremely hot and humid. Our only reprieve was to break mid-day and go back out at night. During our break, we also showered and put on fresh clothes since our ones from the morning were sweaty. We did not anticipate this and ended up having to do laundry, so make sure you pack enough!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Kristine316
Mouseketeer

We went this exact week in September 2012.. just 6 months ago.

I am with those who are saying it was sort of busy... maybe not compared to summer or holidays but, it certainly wasn't dead.

The crowd predictions are only in comparison with each other.. Disney low crowds is nothing like low crowds somewhere else. A "1" crowd prediction means it is literally the slowest Disney ever gets but, that doesn't necessarily translate into actually being "slow". Disney doesn't really have true a slow time, even their slowest days would probably be considered busy somewhere else.

I kept hearing how dead September was going to be and I was rather disappointed to discover it wasn't dead at all. Did it ruin our vacation.. no, it didn't, we still had an amazing time. Don't get me wrong the crowds weren't impossible to deal with they were just more than I was anticipating.

If you you have gone during truly crazy times at Disney my guess is you would find September pretty easy to deal with.

All of our trips have been in what some would call the slowest times of the year at Disney so, that is what I am comparing it to. September 2012 was the busiest we have seen Disney.. our other two trips were much quieter.
One thing I really noticed was the walk ways being jammed packed and DTD being really crowded the two times we went in September compared to our earlier trips. Actual wait times for rides didn't seem so bad but, its not like there is any time of year when you can literally walk on the big attractions.. that never happens from my experience.

Oh.. the heat. Yeah.. it is pretty bad in September. The humidity is what I really dislike.
Kristine316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
osugal
Mouseketeer

We've gone several times in September. Two years ago we went the same week you're asking about. The crowds were great but with free dining not as low as some of the posts indicate in my opinion. It rains most days but just in short bursts. We only got rained out of a park once. And it's hot but, again, doesn't seem nearly as hot to me as some of the posters. We love going that time of year.
osugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
rainynight
Mouseketeer

We were there last year during September 15-23 and it was PACKED and HOT. Yeah, definately not "low" crowds at all. Our previous November trip was much less crowded and pretty much walk on everything. Will never go in September again.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
ladeeesquire
Mouseketeer

We were there 9/2-9/15/12 and thought it was great! You definitely have to make adr's because of the free dining but the crowds are really light. We pretty much visited the recommended parks each day and encountered no crowd issues whatsoever.

The weather? that's a different issue. We're from SoCal where it gets very hot but its also very dry. The florida humidity is unreal. But, we took it slowly, sought shade at every possible opportunity and drank lots and lots of water. I think you have to get yourself in a place mentally where you accept the fact that you're going to sweat A LOT!

I'd totally go in sept again!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

We have gone in September many times & love the low crowds. We don't do EMH or the parades, so we get to avoid those crowds. I don't know anything about other school districts, but a few years ago, we were staying at YC as usual. Things got really busy midweek, with many more school aged kids. One mom commented that her kids had a few days off for the Jewish holidays, so they came for a long weekend & knew friends who did too.

I see that Rosh Hashana was Sept 16th & Yom Kippur was Sept. 26th last year, so I'm guessing that may have impacted the crowds last year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: