Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Disney age restrictions for unaccompanied minors

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_...ied_minors.htm

So, is 14 too young, too old or just right?

I don't believe I'd let my 14 year old DD ( if I had one) go to a park by herself.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
rajak73
Mouseketeer

I think it's about right. Son or Daughter that age or younger, I would not have let them go to parks alone. 15 maybe, 16, probably. They could legally drive in our state at 16 so I would probably feel fine about letting them go at that age. Hopefully they would be a little more responsible at 16 than at 13. So yes, I have no problem with the new policy.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
TJLLWDW1
Earning My Ears

Have been a Disney Board lurker for some time now. I have to get my Disney fix ever since our first family vacation at Fort Wilderness back in 2010 and will be coming back this year for MNSSHP in October...don't want to seem that I am new to the Disboards...commenting on this subject...but...I don't think anyone under 14 should be alone at Disney and should have an adult with them, but...why does Disney charge anyone over the age of 9 an adult price...???...Just saying...
TJLLWDW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The way I read it, a kid younger than 14 has to enter the parks with someone older. It didn't say they must be accompanied the whole time they're inside the parks.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLLWDW1
Have been a Disney Board lurker for some time now. I have to get my Disney fix ever since our first family vacation at Fort Wilderness back in 2010 and will be coming back this year for MNSSHP in October...don't want to seem that I am new to the Disboards...commenting on this subject...but...I don't think anyone under 14 should be alone at Disney and should have an adult with them, but...why does Disney charge anyone over the age of 9 an adult price...???...Just saying...
The price of the ticket more reflects the number of rides (attractions) some could conceivably enjoy. Based on average size of 9 year old children the could enjoy all attractions, therefore full price.

Many theme parks charge by height so a tall 7 year old could be charged full price, and DM (88) can get in for children's price. She's only 46" tall, and I love her with all my heart.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
2goofycampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLLWDW1 View Post
Welcome to posting. I agree 14 is too young to be alone at a theme park.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I have a 15 year old son that I don't let go to the parks by himself - nor do I let him run around the parks by himself. I may sit down somewhere centrally located to two or three rides that he might want to ride and I don't and let him take his sister on those rides, but I can see them until they get inside of a building or out of veiw because they are in line, but I always wait at the exit to the ride. Next year he will be sixteen and I agree with a PP that maybe at that time - because I agree also that by that time he will be legal to drive in our state and will have been doing things on his own around town so maybe - but I did say maybe!

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
TJLLWDW1
Earning My Ears

Thank you 2GOOFYCAMPERS for the welcome....and Thank you for all the photos of Fort Wilderness...you, YNOTTONY and SOUTHERNBELL...Great photos!!!
TJLLWDW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
phalynx
Disney Video Nut

I think it boils down to what the child is comfortable with as well as the parent. My 15 and 12 year old have been to Disney many many times. They are very well mannered and aware of their surroundings. I am very comfortable letting them walk around by themselves in the parks. I wouldn't have a problem with them riding the bus to the park from the campground either. I am ok with this because I know they know the park. Just like going to a school, the kids can navigate their way around with no problems. They just need to be familiar with the area. Now, if it were our first time at Disney, neither would get to wander freely. I would have to be comfortable with the surroundings first, then them.
Aug 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2006 - Fort Wilderness
April 2007 - Carribean Resort
Sept 1-16 2007 Fort Wilderness
Dec 15-20 2007 Fort Wilderness
April 11-12 2008 Coronado
April 21-25 Contemporary
phalynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
storyteller
Driving not flying, It's hard to read the street signs from that far up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalynx View Post
I think it boils down to what the child is comfortable with as well as the parent. My 15 and 12 year old have been to Disney many many times. They are very well mannered and aware of their surroundings. I am very comfortable letting them walk around by themselves in the parks. I wouldn't have a problem with them riding the bus to the park from the campground either. I am ok with this because I know they know the park. Just like going to a school, the kids can navigate their way around with no problems. They just need to be familiar with the area. Now, if it were our first time at Disney, neither would get to wander freely. I would have to be comfortable with the surroundings first, then them.
I agree with that idea, my kids have been coming here since each was 3, now 14, 12, and 9, 9 yr old hangs with me, the other two, see you when we leave to go home.. LOL
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
2goofycampers

2 children I could possibly see, one 14 year old would make me very uneasy.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

14 is too young. I couldn't give a set age that I would allow one of my kids to go alone. Although when I was in middle school we were told to check in with our leader through out the day at certain times. I was pretty much by myself the whole time. Didn't have any friends on the trip so I went on all the rides by myself. Times have changed a lot since then though. It would depend on my child and how mature they are if I let them.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
jbrostek
DIS Veteran

I am not sure 14 is too young, but I agree with raising the age. The world has changed enough where too many prey on younger kids. But at 14 they should be aware enough to know how to find help and inside Disney where cast members are all over the place that should not be a problem. I know things have changed, but has it changed so much that kids must be accompanied by an adult until they have a drivers license?
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Our daughter at 14 (being the oldest child) was very mature at that age, so yes, I would have let her go to the parks alone. Not that she would have wanted to, not much fun by yourself. We could totally depend on, and trust her completely, even at age 12. Our son, that age, not as much . Each parent would have to know at what age their child was ready. I know some 16 year olds that I would hardly let out of my sight, if I were there parents
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
2goofycampers

I'm not thinking of the child's maturity/dependability, it's other people I don't trust.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: