Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Question Anyone experienced with Sesame Place?

Thinking of doing a day or two at Sesame Place this summer and looking for advice.

I have a 3yr old autistic son. He did well on his first WDW trip in Feb.

We would be at the park at rope drop.

So what rides or attraction should we go to first?

We want pictures with the characters when does 1-2-3 smile with me open? Should we head straight there?

Thinking of doing the dry rides the first day and the wet rides the second day.

Are the character meals worth it for the food and character interactions?

Do they offer the stroller as wheelchair option like Disney does or anything for autistic children?

DS still falls asleep after lunch so that only gives us a few hours in the morning for park time, as he is not happy when he wakes up still in the park and in his stroller. We tried at the MK to get more in wasn't a pretty site. So want to enjoy as much as we can before the nap.

We live only an hour away so arrive at opening and leaving when he naps after lunch isn't a problem. Just want to know what to expect so to maximize the time we have and have fun not rush.

Oh and do they offer a wack a mole game there? Do they offer sesame street character prizes or generic toys? What is the general pricing for these type of games?

Thanks for any info you can give anything helps planning.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

no help with most of your questions but the one piece of advice i can give based on working that Dutch Wonderland is go on a Monday and Tuesday instead of Saturday and Sunday. long waits for rides and slow moving around park. Dutch has you use exit instead of stroller as wheeelchair as wheeelchair would do. Dutch Woderland is in Lancaster, Pa and aimed at younger kids.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

We did sesame place years ago and character meal was worth it but quick. Nor sure a out stroller as wheelchair as we got on and off most rides quickly. It is a very small park. It was fun but not hard to navigate.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
stormer
DIS Veteran

Not sure about most of your questions, but I would say yes to the character meal. When my boys were little they loved it. We did the lunch and It was a nice break from being outside and a great time for pictures with the characters.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

No information of autism there , but the rides are mostly water rides. There are a handful of dry rides, so I think you would be ok getting on most of them in a morning. However, most of their rides are very slow loading, wet or dry. Some of the pools & rivers also have waits to enter. Be prepared to wait. I agree to do a weekday over a weekend & probably Monday/Tuesday is best combo. I don't specifically recall Whac A Mole, but my DS picked a duck. It was a generic, typical carnival prize. You don't say about water splashing in your son's face, but almost all the wet rides "spray" somehow. Some you can avoid, some you can't. My kids were not into the characters so I don't know anything about that. We did take pictures on the Sesame Street stoop & in a fire engine. It is a fun day, but can get frustrating at times.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

We have had season passes for last 5 yrs. Weekdays are less crowded and so are cloudy days. If a rain shower passes thru, people leave, we stay and put on a poncho or visit a store and enjoy an emptier park. Because we don't do well in the heat, we usually get there well before park opens to get in line and go first to the roller coaster right inside the gate. We ride a few times before the lines starts to get long. The other rides that seem to get longer lines that are unbearable later on are in the elmo area, especially flying fish and peek a bug, and the grover's world twirl. As we get hot, we head for the water areas. Usually have bathing suits on under clothes so it is quick to get in the water. after cooling off and letting her run around a bit, she can just sit in stroller on a towel and ride around, dries quickly in the warm sun. you will see a lot of people just walking around in bathing suits and flip flops inbetween wet and dry activities, no need to dress and undress all day. the parade is good, but gets crowded. we usually plan way early and grab our meal and carry it out to sit and reserve our spot while we eat. but if you are not seeing a parade, that is a good time to go on rides right while the parade is happening.

characters lines don't take nearly as long as Disney. you will find them along the main street throughout the day. 1-2-3 smile with me we have only done a few times, but never much of a line.

they do rent strollers. we either take her stroller or a wagon, not only for her to ride but to cart around all our stuff.

games aren't exactly cheap, but we usually play a few. prizes are not sesame characters but you can buy all the character merchandise in the gift shops. I do believe the used to have a whack a mole style game in the back under the roofed game area next to counts splash castle.

if you are going for more than one day, you should look into the season pass. it is probably about the same cost as going two days. we got the basic pass but bought the next level up for grand daughter. this gave us free general parking, or discounted upgraded parking. parking alone is expensive. it also saved us percentage on food and shopping. you can read all the benefits on their website. we live about 45 mins away in n.j and it was nice to run up there and visit for awhile even when we didn't have time to stay all day. and they have special events in the fall for Halloween, which she really enjoyed. now for a small charge you can add xmas season on, last year it was nice.

hope this helped alittle and you have a wonderful time at sesame.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

We go every couple years or so when sister flies out from CO with the kiddies.

So what rides or attraction should we go to first?Nothing has terrible lines really other than Elmo's show or if there is a special guest there that day. One time we went and Bob from Sesame Street was doing a story time show, the line was long but SUUUPER worth it (even more so for the adults )

We want pictures with the characters when does 1-2-3 smile with me open? Should we head straight there?It's open all day, the characters just switch in an out. If there's a long line just come back later

Thinking of doing the dry rides the first day and the wet rides the second day.If it's really hot i'd do both on both days.

Are the character meals worth it for the food and character interactions? The food is lacking, but the kids did love the intereaction time.

Do they offer the stroller as wheelchair option like Disney does or anything for autistic children?I don't know, but I did pre-rent an ecv on their website and sister prerented a cabanna as well, check their website

DS still falls asleep after lunch so that only gives us a few hours in the morning for park time, as he is not happy when he wakes up still in the park and in his stroller. We tried at the MK to get more in wasn't a pretty site. So want to enjoy as much as we can before the nap.I'd rent a cabana for the nap so he can lay down, plus the parade is in the afternoon and he'll want to see that.

We live only an hour away so arrive at opening and leaving when he naps after lunch isn't a problem. Just want to know what to expect so to maximize the time we have and have fun not rush.For the last few years they've had buy 1 day, get 1 free for no extra price you just have choose that option online. Also, everyone is there at opening and it's not smooth sailing thru bag check. It took us over an hour to get in last time.

Oh and do they offer a wack a mole game there? Do they offer sesame street character prizes or generic toys? What is the general pricing for these type of games?They do have games, but we never played them, the kids were happier climbing and playing on the various playground type things
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Is Abby's Magic Queue worth buying or does everyone buy it making it not worth it.

DS can only last so long waiting on lines but if alot of people buy it does it make it pointless?
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Don't know about Abbey's Magic Queue. I don't know if it's new or we just never used it.

We've always gone on weekdays and never had much of a wait for anything.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
mmbrad02
Mouseketeer

I was so happy to find this thread!

I have a question - we will be going to Sesame Place in May, before the water part opens. Will there be much to do? I have a two year old who LOVES all things Sesame, so I was thinking it would just be a good day to take it easy, watch the shows, take pictures with the characters, and hopefully a few rides. I also planned to do a character meal.

We were planning on a Saturday - is it super crowded that early in the season?

1984 - Offsite
1991 - Offsite
2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
2008 - Pop Century

2011 - All Star Movies - Baby's First Trip!
September 2014 - Coronado Springs
mmbrad02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: