Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
akayf
Mouseketeer

1900 park fare?

Since my 5 year old loves Cinderella and the stepsisters, I was thinking of canceling either our lunch in AK at Yak and Yeti or lunch in MK at the Plaza and doing dinner at 1900 Park Fare instead. I've read so many mixed reviews though. If we do decide to eat there, which meal would you drop, Yak And Yeti or Plaza?

Me DH DS1 (5) DS2 (2)
akayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

You don't go to character meals for the food. Each trip so far I do 1-2 character meals knowing that the food will probably be ok at best. If it's better than that, it's a win. I figure, with a buffet, you're bound to find something edible and reviews consistently say that character interaction is tops at 1900 Park Fare. We're going in May. The price is high for the food but that's not what you're paying for.

There are other options for Cinderella too. When we went to Akershus a few years ago, Cinderella was there but the only character that is guaranteed is Belle. I enjoyed breakfast at Akershus. But obviously it was expensive for what it was if you're looking at food alone. Other than 1900 Park Fare, the only other character meal with Cinderella is CRT. The food at CRT isn't bad, but again, not for that price. But the price isn't just for food, it's for the Castle.

As far as cancellations, I thought Yak & Yeti was pretty good and loved the theming. I'm not doing an ADR in AK in May, but if I was, I'd strongly consider a return to Y&Y. I'd cancel The Plaza. The menu is kind of boring.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayf View Post
Since my 5 year old loves Cinderella and the stepsisters, I was thinking of canceling either our lunch in AK at Yak and Yeti or lunch in MK at the Plaza and doing dinner at 1900 Park Fare instead. I've read so many mixed reviews though. If we do decide to eat there, which meal would you drop, Yak And Yeti or Plaza?
I agree with MyTwoPrincesses in that you don't choose character meals strictly for the food but more for the interaction with said characters, and 1900 PF is among the best in that regard. That being said, I've found the food at 1900 PF to be above average in terms of a buffet line, while the cost compared to some others (CRT comes to mind) actually is reasonable vis-a-vis the variety of food served. As for which lunch to cancel, I would axe the Plaza, too. Yak and Yeti is a far more intriguing place to dine.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I found 1900 PF food to be very well below average. Horrible selection and quality. Even the desserts and kids section were lacking. But the stepsisters were HILARIOUS! If your daughter wants to see Cindy and the gang, i'd take her. Some ppl do like the food, you just might. You never know. Everyone is different.

As for Y&Y or Plaza, i'd keep the Plaza. I like the food there (best fries in disney!), its in a good location, and it has a nice atmosphere.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't bother with 1900PF.. food isn't great and it is SO crowded. Just my $.02.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I found 1900 PF food to be very well below average. Horrible selection and quality. Even the desserts and kids section were lacking. But the stepsisters were HILARIOUS! If your daughter wants to see Cindy and the gang, i'd take her. Some ppl do like the food, you just might. You never know. Everyone is different.

As for Y&Y or Plaza, i'd keep the Plaza. I like the food there (best fries in disney!), its in a good location, and it has a nice atmosphere.
I agree with all of this but I have to also add that for a 5 yr old I think the Plaza is the better choice because it is a classic Magic Kingdom restaurant, decor is simple but timeless and the food is simple but good and they have GREAT sundaes. You may also very well end up in the garden room which has a great view of Cinderella's castle as well as the parade (depending on what time you eat of course).

Feel free to check out my review of the Plaza: Our Plaza Experience

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

I agree with the comments on the food quality and crowding. Never again.

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

I actually disagree with the majority. For a buffet dinner, which typically is my least favorite dining option, the food was fine. Not great, but slightly above avg. ten times better than Chef Mickey! My husband thought it was great. Plus, we thought the options were pretty good for kids too. All that being said, the character interaction was among the best and we did many character meals.
aprilbabes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: