Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #91
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorstitch View Post
This blog shows what stores will be coming to the new Disney Springs.
http://dolldiaries.com/american-girl...ng-to-orlando/

Notice, one of the stores is American Girl. I wonder what this will mean for Disney's doll line, My Disney Girl. Would AG agree to put a store there if Disney is selling a competing line? Will Disney do away with the line? Or will it be revamped and moved into the new AG store? Hopefully, the latter....

sailorstitch
That slide image was never publicly released and Disney has not mentioned any new vendors by name thus far. So it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Assuming it was prepared for Disney's internal use, contracts may not yet be finalized. Even if they are, all it takes is a bad financial quarter, stock drop or management change for a vendor to pull out. A lot can happen in 3 1/2 years...
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #92
dgramling
Earning My Ears
 
dgramling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 23

Simple solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
I can see the logic of what you are saying and I think that is why parking is not free full stop. I was just trying to be inclusive. Plus trying to get the burden away from SSR. as trying to get a bus from my home resort of SSR we watched lots of non resort guests get on first whilst we waited 45 mins gave up and drove. Even though there was a CM there with a clip board who knew what was going on. People actually would ask us as we walked where was the bus stop and what is the name of this resort!

Wonder if Disney has ever considered tacking the parking fee onto each ticket price. If parking is $14 increase the ticket price by that or $10-$12 after factoring off-site bus riders. Then reduce all tickets packages bought with a resort stay by the price of the parking. eliminate parking fees at the parks and then restore the Park to DD busses this would eliminate the incentive for people to park at Downtown and bus to the parks and would encourage people to come to downtown after the parks. This would push the ticket price over the 100 - per day but would be the same in the long run, but disney would also save the cost of the toll takers at each parking lot.
__________________
Aug '87-FW, Aug '90-offsite, Aug '95-FW, Jun '00-FW, April '09-FW, Sept '09-AS Sport, Sept '10-4day Cruise Wonder, Dec '12-WL & CSR
dgramling is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #93
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran
 
World Showcaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramling View Post
Wonder if Disney has ever considered tacking the parking fee onto each ticket price. If parking is $14 increase the ticket price by that or $10-$12 after factoring off-site bus riders. Then reduce all tickets packages bought with a resort stay by the price of the parking. eliminate parking fees at the parks and then restore the Park to DD busses this would eliminate the incentive for people to park at Downtown and bus to the parks and would encourage people to come to downtown after the parks. This would push the ticket price over the 100 - per day but would be the same in the long run, but disney would also save the cost of the toll takers at each parking lot.
And what about those who stay onsite but don't have a package?
__________________
World Showcaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #94
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: home-VA, school-NYC
Posts: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Assuming it was prepared for Disney's internal use, contracts may not yet be finalized. Even if they are, all it takes is a bad financial quarter, stock drop or management change for a vendor to pull out. A lot can happen in 3 1/2 years...
Exactly. I work in a theater that is in a shopping development that was mostly torn down in 2007. The idea was that they would rebuild everything and had all these contracts. I think my theater is the only one who is still with the company, and that's just because rent is super cheap because they are supposed to build us a new one. They still list some of the restaurants on their website, but a lot of the companies have found other locations in the area.

That said, I'd be excited for some of those stores if this is true and works out. And that could help with bringing locals in.
NYUBwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #95
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser View Post

And what about those who stay onsite but don't have a package?
What about the family of six who would have their cost increase by $70 per day under this plan
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #96
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...
 
Paula Sedley-Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 4,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser

And what about those who stay onsite but don't have a package?
It's a good thought but it would be difficult to decide how much to add on to one ticket as you could not predict how many people would be in one vehicle and park. Also people that booked a bus tour and schools etc would loose out. I think either a 3 hour limit parking at down town disney as it is at present until the changes come or just ask to see people's room key at buses at SSR. Problem solved!
__________________
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #97
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
...or just ask to see people's room key at buses at SSR. Problem solved!
I don't see that happening. Sounds good in theory but I don't think Disney is going to put its bus drivers in the position of confronting guests and ultimately refusing entry. I know they used to ask for room keys 20 years ago but I just don't see it happening in 2013. Too much potential for ugly confrontation.

The more I think about this, I really don't think Disney will make any changes.

Running buses direct from the parks to DTD would cost money...I lot of money. I suspect execs patted themselves on the back years ago when they came up with justification to remove those bus loops.

In all likelihood, Disney will continue turning a blind eye to the situation. They'll count on most guests doing the right thing and paying the parking fee. The garage will at least get rid of some of the congestion in the DTD lots. And if those people happen to buy another overpriced beverage, meal or souvenir as they are trekking through DTD, so much the better.

Unfortunate for the SSR guests who are likely to see even more extra foot traffic through the resort accompanying the growth of DTD (or Disney Springs).
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #98
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
That is why they no longer run from park to park or park to downtown...t
When did Disney discontinue park to park buses? OK buses to/from MK stop at the TTC and monorail service from TTC to EPCOT. How else are guests who paid for park hopping able to go from park to park.

I get your point but go to the link you posted:


Q.

I’m not staying at a Disney Resort hotel. Can I use the monorails, buses and boats to get around Walt Disney World Resort?
A.

Yes. All Guests have complimentary access to our network of monorails, buses and boats. If you would like to visit multiple parks, enjoy a nice dinner at one of the Disney Resort hotels or shop at Downtown Disney Area, you can leave your car parked in the theme park lot and use our transportation network.


Of course that doesn't allow circumventing a parking fee. I'd say that statement allows guests who want to shop (or dine) in DTD use of bus service to SSR since it is the closest bus stop to DTD.

Last edited by Lewisc; 03-18-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #99
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramling

Wonder if Disney has ever considered tacking the parking fee onto each ticket price. If parking is $14 increase the ticket price by that or $10-$12 after factoring off-site bus riders. Then reduce all tickets packages bought with a resort stay by the price of the parking. eliminate parking fees at the parks and then restore the Park to DD busses this would eliminate the incentive for people to park at Downtown and bus to the parks and would encourage people to come to downtown after the parks. This would push the ticket price over the 100 - per day but would be the same in the long run, but disney would also save the cost of the toll takers at each parking lot.
With ideas like that you should work for the government..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #100
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran
 
World Showcaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
It's a good thought but it would be difficult to decide how much to add on to one ticket as you could not predict how many people would be in one vehicle and park. Also people that booked a bus tour and schools etc would loose out. I think either a 3 hour limit parking at down town disney as it is at present until the changes come or just ask to see people's room key at buses at SSR. Problem solved!
I was saying that it's not a good thought. I was saying it is a problematic plan. I wasn't the one who proposed it. I was saying that the plan wouldn't work because it doesn't offer the "parking discount" to guests who do stay onsite but don't buy a package. Someone else pointed out another occasion when this wouldn't work.
__________________
World Showcaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #101
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...
 
Paula Sedley-Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 4,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser View Post

I was saying that it's not a good thought. I was saying it is a problematic plan. I wasn't the one who proposed it. I was saying that the plan wouldn't work because it doesn't offer the "parking discount" to guests who do stay onsite but don't buy a package. Someone else pointed out another occasion when this wouldn't work.
Sorry my mistake! So you did. Please accept my big pixie dust sorry. Tired eyes!
__________________
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #102
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran
 
World Showcaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Sorry my mistake! So you did. Please accept my big pixie dust sorry. Tired eyes!
It's no problem. I just wanted to clarify in case my post wasn't unclear (which it probably was).
__________________
World Showcaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #103
kcwiak
Mouseketeer
 
kcwiak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 235

Hi all! Just read through this thread (wow!) and i did not see a timeline for when the construction would start. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
__________________

Sept 2013 - 10 day Family Trip
Jan 2011 - 7 day Family Trip
1990-1998 - 50+ day and/or multi day trips
kcwiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #104
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwiak View Post
Hi all! Just read through this thread (wow!) and i did not see a timeline for when the construction would start. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
Next month...April 2013.

I suspect the first major project will be one of the two parking garages. They need to address the parking problem before they can start building out shops into space occupied by the current lots.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #105
kcwiak
Mouseketeer
 
kcwiak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz

Next month...April 2013.

I suspect the first major project will be one of the two parking garages. They need to address the parking problem before they can start building out shops into space occupied by the current lots.
Oh I hope it is only the garages! We are going in Sept and I don't want half the stuff closed or blocked off. I have not been there since I lived in Orlando in the 90s so I want to see how it is now. Last time we were at WDW I stayed at hotel while family went to DTD.
__________________

Sept 2013 - 10 day Family Trip
Jan 2011 - 7 day Family Trip
1990-1998 - 50+ day and/or multi day trips
kcwiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.