Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
DonaldnDaisy5
Mouseketeer

so confused...

We have two children on the next trip who will be "Disney dining adults."

If we are doing a TS that is menu based, not family style or buffet, can the two order from child menu, or do they have to find something from the adult selections.

We will have the dining plan, if that matters.
DonaldnDaisy5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
catne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldnDaisy5 View Post

If we are doing a TS that is menu based, not family style or buffet, can the two order from child menu, or do they have to find something from the adult selections.

You just have to ask...it will be up to the individual restaurants...some are willing to accommodate, some insist the child's menu is strictly for kids under 10. We have had teens request items from the kids' menu (including chicken nuggets on one occasion; mac & cheese was ordered another time.) In both cases, the restaurant just adult-sized the kids meal for them.

One thing we have noticed, though...even if the restaurant will not allow them to order from the kids' menu, keep in mind that you can usually order "plain" food. So if there's something on the adult menu the kids would eat -- like a steak -- except they don't like the sound of the fancy sauce on the meat, or they won't eat the veggies that come with the steak...ask the waiter if they can have the steak without the sauce, and sub french fries, plain potatoes, or plain pasta for the veggies. Most of the restaurants are very good at finding something for everyone. We have traveled to Disney twice with a very picky adult...a total no-sauce, no-gravy, no-gelee, not-spicey kind of eater. the only potatoes he eats are french fries or pan fried. No pasta sauce, ever. Every restaurant we went to was able to serve him a full plate of food, exactly the way he wanted it.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
DonaldnDaisy5
Mouseketeer

Thank you! Makes planning easier knowing they'll have options!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
MikkiMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I have the same question, but we won't be on the dining plan. Our son is a light eater and I hate paying adult prices for a large meal he would only eat 1/2 of, if that much. Can he order of of the kids menu even though he is 12 and still has a child size appetite?

MikkiMom
MikkiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiMom View Post
I have the same question, but we won't be on the dining plan. Our son is a light eater and I hate paying adult prices for a large meal he would only eat 1/2 of, if that much. Can he order of of the kids menu even though he is 12 and still has a child size appetite?

MikkiMom
Again, it depends on the restaurant. Some will and many won't. By the DDP rules, they don't have to. Since he is 12, you will have to pay the adult DDP for him, even at the restaurants that will allow him to order off the kids menus.
Good Luck.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Awesome.. my DS10 is uber picky and I was hoping he could supersize kids menu items!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

NEVER have had ANY problems with my dd ordering from the kid's menu after she turned 10. She is 14 now and last month ordered mostly ALL KID's menu items at almost every TS restaurant we went to INCLUDING signature restaurants.

I do hear on occasion (mostly on these boards) that some of the Epcot WS restaurant servers can be picky about that although we have not run into this at all. (and no one ever mentions which restaurant is being difficult about it because I'll avoid that restaurant).

From time to time this topic appears on this board and many have stated that adults even order from the kid's menu. Now, I've also heard there may be an upcharge from certain restaurants (none which we've experienced first hand yet). And, that is completely understandable as I certainly do not mind paying an upcharge if necessary, because the main reason my dd will order off the kid's menu is because the options on the adult menu do not appeal to her. (oh and she loves that meaty macaroni dish offered on the kid's menus in many places as well)

That all being said, we pay OOP, we are TIW card holders. DDP has a lot of rules and guidelines so that can be a totally different story. DDP can be very specific about it's guidelines so this may be a no-no.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
frannn
please stop the madnesssss already & tag me
From the TF...someone pls call 911 for Frann, she held her breath until I tagged her and she apparently turned blue and fell down. :)

If you don't mind my asking...which places were ok with it & which weren't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
NEVER have had ANY problems with my dd ordering from the kid's menu after she turned 10. She is 14 now and last month ordered mostly ALL KID's menu items at almost every TS restaurant we went to INCLUDING signature restaurants.

I do hear on occasion (mostly on these boards) that some of the Epcot WS restaurant servers can be picky about that although we have not run into this at all. (and no one ever mentions which restaurant is being difficult about it because I'll avoid that restaurant).

From time to time this topic appears on this board and many have stated that adults even order from the kid's menu. Now, I've also heard there may be an upcharge from certain restaurants (none which we've experienced first hand yet). And, that is completely understandable as I certainly do not mind paying an upcharge if necessary, because the main reason my dd will order off the kid's menu is because the options on the adult menu do not appeal to her. (oh and she loves that meaty macaroni dish offered on the kid's menus in many places as well)

That all being said, we pay OOP, we are TIW card holders. DDP has a lot of rules and guidelines so that can be a totally different story. DDP can be very specific about it's guidelines so this may be a no-no.
I'd love to know which specific places are good about a 10 year old ordering a kid's meal, and which to avoid. I've already heard The Plaza is one to avoid, any others? DD10 takes meds that impare her appetite at times. This may sound petty, but should I get a Dr's note?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Are you sure the money makes sense to pay for the dining plan when your kids still want to order from the kid's menu? Have you compared what you'll be paying for the plan vs what you would pay out of pocket? Of course for character meals you still pay the higher price for them b/c of their age, but if they don't have big appetites maybe such meals aren't quite worth it?

I just don't want you to waste money if it makes no sense.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
amym2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Are you sure the money makes sense to pay for the dining plan when your kids still want to order from the kid's menu? Have you compared what you'll be paying for the plan vs what you would pay out of pocket? Of course for character meals you still pay the higher price for them b/c of their age, but if they don't have big appetites maybe such meals aren't quite worth it?

I just don't want you to waste money if it makes no sense.
I thought this when I read your post also. If you are getting the dining plan free it makes sense, but if we were taking our kids who are "tweens" we would just pay OOP.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
DonaldnDaisy5
Mouseketeer

Well, it makes sense in having everything prepaid and that the majority of the places we're selecting are buffet or family style. Problem is that we are planning with a large group so trying to make sure everyone has optipns and has a say...and only one of three is in that age bracket...and he can eat a good amount. He'll do chicken or steak or a burger any where as long as we can get it plain or with stuff on the side. But thank you! Saving in any way is good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: