Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #1966
PrincessMom4
DVC member-SSR

We leave near Ottawa, Ontario. Its a really nice drive down.
ALK-Jambo-August 21-29/11; AKL-Kidani Villas-March 13-17/11;1st DVC trip-Kidani Villas-September 5-11/10; Space Ranger Mission - August 16-22/09;DS4th WDW birthday trip - March14 - 20/09;Pirate adventure-August 26-Sept 2/08;1st family trip-August 23-Sept 1/07
PrincessMom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #1967
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canlafre View Post
Has anyone ever made the trip from Mid Vermont to WDW in early February?

We are thinking of driving this time around, but not sure how it would go with 3 kiddos.

thanks!
Our receptionist here just did it (from Williamstown, VT) over February break with pups and one kid. She said the weather was a bit dicey, but they were fine.

I'm actually MOVING down to Naples in June from Central VT and driving a rental truck, but planning on stopping at Disney for the night (DH is already there working) waiting for my DD and her DBF to arrive with the Jeep from the autotrain! I'm just wondering about parking the rental truck in one of the resort parking lots!! LOL!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #1968
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Ok, question for all of you driving veterans. AAA, Googlemaps and Mapquest give me 2 alternate routes to WDW from Central Vermont. One gets me to I95 through NYC and on the cross-Bronx Expwy and the other takes me to I87 to Albany and down I81 missing NYC and DC. I've done the I95 before ages ago and remember it being a bit hairy. I'm driving a 16 foot Penske truck - so I think I should choose the I81 route. What do you all think?

Oh and I'll be leaving around 3 or 4 a.m. on Sunday the 16th of June.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #1969
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu03 View Post
Ok, question for all of you driving veterans. AAA, Googlemaps and Mapquest give me 2 alternate routes to WDW from Central Vermont. One gets me to I95 through NYC and on the cross-Bronx Expwy and the other takes me to I87 to Albany and down I81 missing NYC and DC. I've done the I95 before ages ago and remember it being a bit hairy. I'm driving a 16 foot Penske truck - so I think I should choose the I81 route. What do you all think?

Oh and I'll be leaving around 3 or 4 a.m. on Sunday the 16th of June.
i81 is a major truck route. i take i81/i77/i26/i95. just dont hit char. nc. at rush hour. other then that, wide open. just pay attention to the truck grade warnings coming out of the mountains on i81.
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #1970
billybobblockhead
Kiiiiiiids, listen to your mother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
i81 is a major truck route. i take i81/i77/i26/i95. just dont hit char. nc. at rush hour. other then that, wide open. just pay attention to the truck grade warnings coming out of the mountains on i81.
What Dave said. IMO, once you get into NC on I77 (and if you manage to avoid Charlotte rush hour), the worst part of the drive that you have left is South Carolina on I95. 2 lanes, "woodsy" median, yuck. Easily manageable, but not as nice as when you cross into Georgia and pick up 3 lanes.
DISDad #425
billybobblockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #1971
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobblockhead View Post
What Dave said. IMO, once you get into NC on I77 (and if you manage to avoid Charlotte rush hour), the worst part of the drive that you have left is South Carolina on I95. 2 lanes, "woodsy" median, yuck. Easily manageable, but not as nice as when you cross into Georgia and pick up 3 lanes.
Thank you!!! I'm now leaving on Friday about 7:00 a.m. to get down earlier, hopefully things will be calm due to the weekend!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #1972
PrincessMom4
DVC member-SSR

Maryland and DC plus some times Richmond is the ones we get struck in traffic the most
ALK-Jambo-August 21-29/11; AKL-Kidani Villas-March 13-17/11;1st DVC trip-Kidani Villas-September 5-11/10; Space Ranger Mission - August 16-22/09;DS4th WDW birthday trip - March14 - 20/09;Pirate adventure-August 26-Sept 2/08;1st family trip-August 23-Sept 1/07
PrincessMom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #1973
SlightlyocdDisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Booster seat requirements

I apologize if this question has been recently answered, but I've poked around and not found an answer yet. Are booster seats required for children in Florida? I've seen conflicting information on-line.

We are flying into Pensacola and then driving to Orlando, and it's hard to believe that my children wouldn't need booster seats.
SlightlyocdDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #1974
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyocdDisneyfan View Post
I apologize if this question has been recently answered, but I've poked around and not found an answer yet. Are booster seats required for children in Florida? I've seen conflicting information on-line.

We are flying into Pensacola and then driving to Orlando, and it's hard to believe that my children wouldn't need booster seats.
I don't know how old your kids are but it appears the "law" only requires Kids up to 3 to be in a car seat. 4-5 have to be "safely restrained" but not necessarily in a booster with a suggestion of the 80 pound rule that is elsewhere in the country, but not law in FL.

But we put our kids in boosters anyway even though by law we didn't have to.

http://www.sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #1975
SlightlyocdDisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
I don't know how old your kids are but it appears the "law" only requires Kids up to 3 to be in a car seat. 4-5 have to be "safely restrained" but not necessarily in a booster with a suggestion of the 80 pound rule that is elsewhere in the country, but not law in FL.

But we put our kids in boosters anyway even though by law we didn't have to.

http://www.sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm
Thank you. Our state law is based on age/height of either eight years or 4'9". Our dds will be a few days away from the age requirement when we travel. Trying to decide whether it's necessary to lug their seats on the plane. Sounds like, at least legally, it isn't required.

1995 - All Star Resort; 2000 - Dixie Landing; 2004 - Coronado Springs; 2007 - Polynesian; 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside; 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside; 2013 - Polynesian; 2015 - Planning for Aulani; Plus more trips to Disneyland than could be counted!!
SlightlyocdDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #1976
naomiswanson
Earning My Ears

Actually, I am planning to visit in Disney and it is m,y first time to visit. But don't have any details and sorry for my ignorance, I want to have some further information about what are the different places that nice to hang out?
naomiswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #1977
floreksa
Earning My Ears

We leave 3am tomorrow from Western MA! so excited! This will be our 2nd time driving. Last time we did 95S all the way, but also left at 9pm so did the NYC / MD / DC portions during the middle of the night. This time we're planning on taking 84 to 81 to 66 to 288 to 95. Planning on stopping overnight in Santee, SC again. Stayed at a nice Holiday Inn there last time.

Any thing we should be aware of taking this route instead of 95 all the way?

11/28/14-12/6/14 - POR - RR Garden view
4/12/13-4/19/13 - CSR w/ Parents and my sister's family
5/6/11 - 5/13/11 - DD's 1st trip (it was a surprise! ) DH's first trip too and our 9th Anniv!! - CSR

As a kid:
'88 - offsite w/ Aunt & Uncle for birthday present
'94 - offsite w/ HS band, Marched in MK parade
'95 - CBR w/ parents & sister
floreksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #1978
armsom
Earning My Ears

Too funny we are in western Ct. Leaving next wed taking the 84/81/66 route and plan in staying in santee sc. Have a great trip
armsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #1979
flafan
Mouseketeer

Where to stop?

HI Everyone,

We are driving from Massachusetts in June for our much needed WDW Vaca.

In the past we drive a straight 16 hours before we stop but I am thinking maybe we should cut that in half and stop a little sooner.

Does anyone know of a nice hotel that has easy access off 95 around Richmond VA or Emporia VA. Thank you. Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed.
1997 Marriot World Center & Dixie Landings
1998 Fort Wilderness Campground - Cabins
1999 Marriot World Center - Boardwalk Villas
2000 Old Key West
2002 Marriot Cypress Harbour
2003 Marriot Cypress Harbour - Hard Rock Hotel-Club Level
2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Club Level - Royal Pacific Hotel
2006 Royal Pacific Hotel- Club Level - Vistana Villages
2008 Vistana Villages - Portofino Bay - Club level
2009 Sheraton National Hotel - Wash. DC Club Level
2013 July - Beach Club/Club Level
flafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #1980
rockydek
Disney4us

Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by flafan View Post
HI Everyone,

We are driving from Massachusetts in June for our much needed WDW Vaca.

In the past we drive a straight 16 hours before we stop but I am thinking maybe we should cut that in half and stop a little sooner.

Does anyone know of a nice hotel that has easy access off 95 around Richmond VA or Emporia VA. Thank you. Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed.

Have you considered the Auto Train in Lorton , Virginia? When you wake up
you will be 30 minutes from Disney. It would be like staying in a hotel that's moving. Amtrak has one that leaves Lorton at 4pm everyday and arrives in Sanford 8:30am the next morning non-stop...We are from Mass and love this option...We have our car, No need to rent one when we arrive and we pack it with all our food and such. Have fun!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: