Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #46
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
This. For us (2 adults, mod resort), FD works out to be the biggest discount. I'll take whatever I can get though!
Worked out my figures at POP for two of us.

10 nights with water parks and hopper
FREE DDP with upgraded regular dining

$2428 total . Saved $628 with FD

Seems to be better than a 30% discount at a Deluxe buying DDP ! JMO

Have been to Disney 300+ nights. As for mods & deluxe, been there, done that, NO more !! Only now need a room to sleep and shower

mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #47
wyurm
Mouseketeer

DDP isn't responsible

I have a reservation to be in Disney just after Thanksgiving. The last thing I would want to deal with is free dining so planning my vacation during a time that FD would be unlikely was a must. I feel it takes the fun out of dining when you have to fight crowds of people that would otherwise not be there. I like using the dining plan for its intended purpose: convenience not savings. To each their own though

The DDP and FD is not likely responsible for the decline in food quality as much as the pressure on restaurants to keep prices from ballooning during a poor economy. Get rid of DDP (and FD) and the food quality would likely stay exactly the same or continue a downward slide. This is how it has been for most of the restaurants in out area since the recession started.
wyurm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #48
LikeSeriously
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyurm
I have a reservation to be in Disney just after Thanksgiving. The last thing I would want to deal with is free dining so planning my vacation during a time that FD would be unlikely was a must. I feel it takes the fun out of dining when you have to fight crowds of people that would otherwise not be there. I like using the dining plan for its intended purpose: convenience not savings. To each their own though

The DDP and FD is not likely responsible for the decline in food quality as much as the pressure on restaurants to keep prices from ballooning during a poor economy. Get rid of DDP (and FD) and the food quality would likely stay exactly the same or continue a downward slide. This is how it has been for most of the restaurants in out area since the recession started.
Most people that I talk to who go different times of the year say that free dining "crowds" are nothing compared to the crowds during other times. The whole reason they offer free dining is because it's so slow during those times and even then, it doesn't fill the park like their busier days.

And how do you know what the intended purpose of the dining plan is? I would assume it is for both convenience and savings.
LikeSeriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #49
black562
Dis Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeSeriously View Post
Most people that I talk to who go different times of the year say that free dining "crowds" are nothing compared to the crowds during other times. The whole reason they offer free dining is because it's so slow during those times and even then, it doesn't fill the park like their busier days.

And how do you know what the intended purpose of the dining plan is? I would assume it is for both convenience and savings.
I go the last few days of August-first week of September. Aside from Labor Day, the crowds are minimal, walk on most of the rides without a problem. I always use free dining and save way more than if I used the room discount. I've been going on free dining since it was first offered many years ago. It's definitely the slowest time of the year, and I can't imagine how much slower it would be with no discounts offered.
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

My Disney Blog: www.disneybyjoe.com

black562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #50
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

I think the point is the non sense of overfilled restaurants. I hate going when I can't get in one sit down meal unless I plan 6 months in advance. If there is no free dining, it is so much easier to get reservations at slow times
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #51
fairy8i8
Spread the Magic!

UBS Investment Research tracks Disney Resort room occupancy and earnings. Disney consistently tries to stay above the 80% occupancy of its 21,000+ hotel rooms year round, so the on property crowds are pretty consistently high.

Where you really see a difference in crowds is by having fewer off property guests flowing into the theme parks during the off season. It's Disney's job to create offers to entice people who would otherwise stay off property to spend the money on property. Free Dining might just entice a family considering staying at an off property resort to jump over to its more expensive counterpart on property. Room discounts for value resorts are a joke during the slow season. $100 for a tiny room? $80 with a discount? That same $80 could get a room twice the size at a real resort hotel off property in late August/September. I saw the Waldorf go for $120/night including tax last year when I was thinking of going. (Their price is more closely tied to their conference center schedule. It was that price for dates in July as well).
fairy8i8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #52
bbagnall
Mouseketeer

Count me IN!

Not a fan of free dining either, I thought I was the only one! Booking room only with a discount is the only way to go!
bbagnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #53
bbagnall
Mouseketeer

Count me IN!

Not a fan of free dining either, I thought I was the only one! Booking room only with a discount is the only way to go!
bbagnall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: