Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
nancy155
DIS Veteran
 
nancy155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 539

I too am an RCI exchange gal. Over the past several years we have exchanged into many different resorts by WDW. We have stayed at Vacation Village Parkway, WBC, Silver Lake, Polynesian Resort, even exchanged into Wilderness Lodge Villas. The first time we exchanged into WBC it was at a 19 trading value in July. Their popularity has grown and could be why the exhange is now so much higher. In fact we are staying there over Spring Break this year (most likely our last stay there).

Out of all of these WBC is my favorite but a really close second is Silver Lake. It is SOOOOO close to Animal Kingdom and so easy to navigate to and from. In fact I found it easier to find than WBC as all you would have to do when heading "home to the resort" after your day at the parks is follow the signage for Animal Kingdom!

Another plus is the trading power is much lower than many of the other resorts, and they are very nice units.

I did not care too much for the others as they are on the other side of I-4 from Disney. As for Orange Lake it was just too big and spread out for us..

I second the need for a rental car. If you keep searching it is pretty much like airfare, changes regularly and when you find a good deal reserve it and later if you find a better deal you can cancel the other one!

Good luck and enjoy your vaca!
__________________
Me , DS



nancy155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila
 
ArielSparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 277

Thumbs up

Thanks again all. I ran the numbers (cost of parking, gas, rental, fares, time waiting) and we decided that the value of our time outweighed the money saved by taking public transportation (not to mention access to A/C and keeping our freedom, both really important). Then I went on to my credit card rewards site and found rates at least 40% than the rates I was using for comparison from carrentals.com. So I'd be insane NOT to rent a car. I'm frugal, but I know my limits and when the hassle isn't worth the dollars saved.

Plus, it's technically nothing out of pocket since I have enough points to book a car for the full two weeks!
__________________
ArielSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side
 
spiceycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: birmingham, Al
Posts: 36,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielSparrow View Post

Plus, it's technically nothing out of pocket since I have enough points to book a car for the full two weeks!
good job!!!!
__________________
Pat J

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Robbi
DIS Veteran
 
Robbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielSparrow View Post
Thanks again all. I ran the numbers (cost of parking, gas, rental, fares, time waiting) and we decided that the value of our time outweighed the money saved by taking public transportation (not to mention access to A/C and keeping our freedom, both really important). Then I went on to my credit card rewards site and found rates at least 40% than the rates I was using for comparison from carrentals.com. So I'd be insane NOT to rent a car. I'm frugal, but I know my limits and when the hassle isn't worth the dollars saved.

Plus, it's technically nothing out of pocket since I have enough points to book a car for the full two weeks!
Glad you found a solution.
I was going to suggest using taxis-no parking worries and fees. Even when we rent cars sometimes we take taxis because except for the MK, they drop you very close to the park entrances. No waiting for trams and standing in the heat/cold while waiting for the next one to come along.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side
 
spiceycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: birmingham, Al
Posts: 36,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Glad you found a solution.
I was going to suggest using taxis-no parking worries and fees. Even when we rent cars sometimes we take taxis because except for the MK, they drop you very close to the park entrances. No waiting for trams and standing in the heat/cold while waiting for the next one to come along.
well if you get there early you don't have to wait - you just walk into Epcot and Studios - now AK is quite a bit further than Epcot and Studios - it is still not a real long walk. you only have to use the tramp if you arrive later.
__________________
Pat J

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Robbi
DIS Veteran
 
Robbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
well if you get there early you don't have to wait - you just walk into Epcot and Studios - now AK is quite a bit further than Epcot and Studios - it is still not a real long walk. you only have to use the tramp if you arrive later.
I guess it depends on the day because the days I was talking about were those when we arrived before rope drop and had to take the tram. It isn't a huge deal but just wanted to suggest a cab as an alternative. We like taking them-no muss, no fuss.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side
 
spiceycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: birmingham, Al
Posts: 36,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
I guess it depends on the day because the days I was talking about were those when we arrived before rope drop and had to take the tram. It isn't a huge deal but just wanted to suggest a cab as an alternative. We like taking them-no muss, no fuss.
maybe disney has changed their policy again - but before if you arrive early you could walk to the parks - no trams necessary. would think that would cause alot of complaints. Especially at Epcot and Studios. Now MK has always been trams them monorail or ferry to anyone not staying at their WDW resorts.

cabs are expensive - most people stay offsite because of costs.

you also have to be carefully - some cabs will try to charge you more - now Orlando has cracked down hard on this - but would be carefully with cabs.
ask for their prices before you get in.
__________________
Pat J

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
Inhislove
Earning My Ears
 
Inhislove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 30

Can anyone advise on current TPU for Silver Lake or Grande Villas

We are new to RCI (inherited from parents) and trying to decide if depositing our beach week would work out for us to get a. 2-3 bedroom near disney. Does anyone have a deposit and ability to search for TPU (weeks not points) for Silver. Lake, sheraton vistana, cypress pointe or grande villas in mid December or week before Thanksgiving?
__________________
Aug-Sep 2014: Marriott Grande Vista/ Sabal Palms
Feb- Residence Inn LBV/ May- Residence Inn Sea World
Jan 2014: Port Orleans Riverside (AP kick-off)
Blue Heron July 2011/ Courtyard by Marriott Dec 2013
Inhislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #24
monagh10
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhislove View Post
We are new to RCI (inherited from parents) and trying to decide if depositing our beach week would work out for us to get a. 2-3 bedroom near disney. Does anyone have a deposit and ability to search for TPU (weeks not points) for Silver. Lake, sheraton vistana, cypress pointe or grande villas in mid December or week before Thanksgiving?
Do you know the point value of your week? When you deposit your week you are given a point value to use for a trade. For example, our 2 bed unit in Daytona is worth 28-29 points if we deposit it. It's not a straight 1 week for 1 week trade, you may be able to get more than 1 trade for your deposit or you may not have enough points to trade into a popular resort at a popular time.
monagh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #25
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhislove View Post
We are new to RCI (inherited from parents) and trying to decide if depositing our beach week would work out for us to get a. 2-3 bedroom near disney. Does anyone have a deposit and ability to search for TPU (weeks not points) for Silver. Lake, sheraton vistana, cypress pointe or grande villas in mid December or week before Thanksgiving?
Hi Inhislove,

I replied to your post on the SL thread, but there's a bit more information here. If you have your RCI account already setup then it is fairly easy to find the points required for these resorts. Just go to the Resort Directory on RCI, find the resort, and look at available units. That will show you the TPU's required for a specific time of year. Works fairly well in Orlando where most resorts have good availability year round. If you are looking for the TPU required for a "hard to get" resort where units aren't available, use the Deposit Calculator to find out what a particular type of unit is worth on deposit for the weeks you want. Add about 3-4 more TPU to understand what it will cost to book it. Our 2BR March break week at Vistana Resort currently gets me 35 points on deposit, and costs about 37-38 to book.

Note that TPU required to book get lower as the date approaches.

If you are new to Timeshare, I strongly urge you to do a bit of research on the Timeshare Users Group (www.tugbbs.com and www.tug2.net). There are lots of tutorials there on how to use RCI to best advantage.
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #26
monagh10
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 62

Here is the availability for those resorts currrently on RCI:

Silver Lake (resort #6815 or 2610)
2 bed: 11/21-28, 15 pts
2 bed: 11/22-29, 15 pts
2 bed: 12/13-20, 5 pts

Sheraton Vistana (#0450 or V450)
2 bed: 11/16-23, 20 pts

Cypress Pointe (#2750)
3 bed: 11/15-22, 8 pts
2 bed: 12/13-20, 8 pts

Grand Villas (#3996)
2 bed: 11/16-23, 5 pts
monagh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #27
kathy884
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by monagh10 View Post
Here is the availability for those resorts currrently on RCI:

Silver Lake (resort #6815 or 2610)
2 bed: 11/21-28, 15 pts
2 bed: 11/22-29, 15 pts
2 bed: 12/13-20, 5 pts

Sheraton Vistana (#0450 or V450)
2 bed: 11/16-23, 20 pts

Cypress Pointe (#2750)
3 bed: 11/15-22, 8 pts
2 bed: 12/13-20, 8 pts

Grand Villas (#3996)
2 bed: 11/16-23, 5 pts
We just decided today to do a trip to Orlando 12/13-20 and grabbed the Cypress Point two bedroom for 8 points. (We were considering the Vistana (lovely, but we've stayed there so many times and it was way higher than the others point wise -- still a great deal in the low 20s though), Orange Lake -- 8 points (great resort), , Polynesian Isles - 5 points -- loved that one too last time we stayed there.) We have stayed at all of these and like them all. For us taking Cypress Point over Orange Lake and Polynesian Isles was just because of a slightly bigger balcony area to sit out with a table and chairs for four. We sit out a lot. The Sheraton Vistana balconies are even nicer with great water views, but eight points sounded like a steal, so we grabbed Cypress Point.

I would have actually been happy with any of these. It's just so easy to get a great trade in Orlando and there are so many lovely high quality timeshare resorts.

A car is the way to go for sure and makes it easy to get to all the parks from any of these.

The resale unit that my parents own in Sedona, AZ and were trading was a 25 point value. They have one week, so with this actually have lots of left over points for something else too.

Last edited by kathy884; 04-12-2014 at 09:32 PM.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rci, rental car, shuttle, timeshare, transportation



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.