Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #1786
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

I only ordered this early because I'm super excited and a bit of a psycho planner LOL
Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #1787
grace&philipsmom
DIS Veteran

I am not sure what to do. My MIL doesn't know if she will be coming to visit us while we are at WDW. Her birthday occurs on one of the days of our trip, and if she is with us I was hoping to surprise her with one of the mickey head cakes. Is it 48 hours advance notice that they would need to make this cake?

TIA,
K
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #1788
messyjessy
Earning My Ears

Is $85 for a 6" fondant cake to look like a princess dress the norm?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #1789
kalliyan1
DIS Veteran

Le Cellier

We have a reservation at Le Cellier on my DS birthday. I know I call the Yacht club private dining line for the cake. We have only ever gotten cakes from Chef Brian before and never been disappointed. Can I expect the same quality of cake at Le Cellier? Can we order the white choc. figures at Le Cellier?
Any other information thats important to know?

TIA
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1790
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

Ok am I correct that the white chocolate castle topper is only available at Grand Floridian?

I trying to figure out if I need to change are ADR or if I should just leave it.

We are going to be there for DD 3rd birthday and I was hoping to order a 2 tiered mini cake with the castle topper. I would just do the chocolate cake and nothing really elaborate I was thinking of just telling them mainly purple in color with hints of blue and pink (all pastels) and fun. Does anyone have an idea of what this would cost?

Or the same cake with a white chocolate Mickey instead cost?

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #1791
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace&philipsmom View Post
Is it 48 hours advance notice that they would need to make this cake?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjessy View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliyan1 View Post
We have a reservation at Le Cellier on my DS birthday. I know I call the Yacht club private dining line for the cake. We have only ever gotten cakes from Chef Brian before and never been disappointed. Can I expect the same quality of cake at Le Cellier? Can we order the white choc. figures at Le Cellier?
Any other information thats important to know?

TIA
The Yacht & Beach Club turns out beautiful cakes and can provide white chocolate figures—just be prepared for sticker shock if you've only ever ordered from the Contemporary. Somehow CR manages to keep its cake prices a bit lower than all the other bakeries on property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906 View Post
Ok am I correct that the white chocolate castle topper is only available at Grand Floridian?

I trying to figure out if I need to change are ADR or if I should just leave it.
If you're talking about the mini white chocolate castle topper, I feel like I saw one once at the Contemporary, but in general, yes it's only at the GF. This is what it looks like:

Quote:
We are going to be there for DD 3rd birthday and I was hoping to order a 2 tiered mini cake with the castle topper. I would just do the chocolate cake and nothing really elaborate I was thinking of just telling them mainly purple in color with hints of blue and pink (all pastels) and fun. Does anyone have an idea of what this would cost?
Although it is small, that topper is still too big for the top tier of a 2-tier mini cake. The GF usually serves it as shown in the photo above. It is offered in three combos: vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse, chocolate cake with chocolate mousse, or cheesecake. They may balk at doing a color besides white, but who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky! The price is around $30.

Quote:
Or the same cake with a white chocolate Mickey instead cost?
If you got a 2-tier mini cake, the white chocolate Mickey have to be on the plate next to it (or, more likely, on a separate plate)—it is too big to fit on top of anything smaller than a 6-inch cake, and more likely they'd tell you it had to be an 8-inch cake. Pricing on the white chocolate figures is in Post #1.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #1792
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

Thanks you so much for your quick response and help. I think I may just go with the mini cake. Although I may call and ask if there is anyway I could get the mini castle cake with purple but I want a backup option if they say no.
Do you know if there is any chocolate option they could do on top?
See DD loves looking at cake but will sometimes eat it but chocolate however she will never pass on.
I'm open to ideas! DD loves almost anything Disney but would like to keep it girly and fun.

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
Old 03-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #1793
shadowryter
DISNEYHOLIC

Hi lurkyloo, I have a question about those adorable mini cakes and cupcakes you posted a while back. Can you get these only through the GF or can CR and other deluxe bakeries make them also? TIA
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #1794
lurkyloo

Quote:
Thanks you so much for your quick response and help. I think I may just go with the mini cake. Although I may call and ask if there is anyway I could get the mini castle cake with purple but I want a backup option if they say no.
See DD loves looking at cake but will sometimes eat it but chocolate however she will never pass on.
I'm open to ideas! DD loves almost anything Disney but would like to keep it girly and fun.
It's tricky cuz the mini cakes are so small. I think even the chocolate rose the GF offers would be too big. But maybe you could ask what kind of molded chocolate options they have that would fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowryter View Post
Hi lurkyloo, I have a question about those adorable mini cakes and cupcakes you posted a while back. Can you get these only through the GF or can CR and other deluxe bakeries make them also? TIA
The thing is, they were just made by the GF as one-offs for Disney's bridal showcase—they are not standard options that you can phone up and ask for by name. However, I posted them here because all of the deluxe resort bakeries do custom work, so theoretically you should be able to send in a photo and ask them to create something similar. (Someone did report asking the Contemporary if they could replicate the R2D2 minicake and was told "Not at this time.")

So I say, it never hurts to ask, just don't expect them to know these designs by name or anything.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #1795
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace&philipsmom View Post
I am not sure what to do. My MIL doesn't know if she will be coming to visit us while we are at WDW. Her birthday occurs on one of the days of our trip, and if she is with us I was hoping to surprise her with one of the mickey head cakes. Is it 48 hours advance notice that they would need to make this cake?

TIA,
K
Since the mickey head cake is a standard option, I think 48 hours should probably be plenty of notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjessy View Post
It sounds pretty normal to me. Most of the 6 inch "fancy" cakes I've seen have been a little under $70, but I've also seen some that are over $100. It depends on exactly what you order - the supplies they use, the height of the cake, and to some degree where you order it from.

Quote:
I've seen mini cakes with Mickey Ears molded on the top, but I don't know if they were molded in chocolate, fondant, or something else.
Your best course of action would probably be to call and ask. I'm sure they have some standard molds that they can use, but their willingness to use them is something entirely different.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #1796
ctnurse
DIS Veteran

I want to order a cake for our wedding dinner, we are doing the private dining at the GF. It will be DF, DS and myself. We want a custom cake with a Mickey and Minnie topper. Do they only do the edible toppers? Or could we get one that we can save? What size is good for 3 people? How much would something like that cost? Will they make the cake and filling flavors they use for regular wedding cakes?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #1797
cmf
Earning My Ears

I would like to order only the princess cake from Cinderella's Royal Princess Package, as we won't be dining at the Castle this trip. Is this possible and if so who do I contact.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #1798
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnurse View Post
I want to order a cake for our wedding dinner, we are doing the private dining at the GF. It will be DF, DS and myself. We want a custom cake with a Mickey and Minnie topper. Do they only do the edible toppers? Or could we get one that we can save? What size is good for 3 people? How much would something like that cost? Will they make the cake and filling flavors they use for regular wedding cakes?
You would place your cake order with the same person you made the private dining reservation through. She can tell you whether they have access to any non-edible toppers (perhaps through WDW Merchandise Guest Services) or if you'd have to bring your own. There is a white chocolate Mickey & Minnie topper that you might be interested in—the white chocolate sculptures are pretty indestructible if you keep them at the correct temperature. Brides save their white chocolate castle cake toppers for YEARS under glass.

You will need to get at least a 6-inch cake to support a traditional cake topper, and that will be more than enough for 3 people. Prices start at around $50 for a buttercream-covered cake and go up if you want fondant and fancy decorations. You'll just have to see what she says when you request a wedding cake flavor combo, since sometimes people get a yes and sometimes they get a no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf View Post
I would like to order only the princess cake from Cinderella's Royal Princess Package, as we won't be dining at the Castle this trip. Is this possible and if so who do I contact.
You would need to be dining at a location serviced by the Contemporary Resort bakers (Contemporary, Magic Kingdom, Ft. Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge), and you would place your order through the Contemporary resort private dining. Explain that you want to get a princess cake like the one they make for diners at CRT. See post #2 for contact info.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #1799
honkytonkmama
Mouseketeer

I have not seen this question answered anywhere, so forgive me if I am repeating anything.

My husband and my's 11th anniversary is on aug 24th. We will be having breakfast at chef mickeys. I would love to get a cake or maybe the slipper, but im not sure if they will do cakes and such that early? It is at 9:30th.
Aug 2015 - POR 7 days
https://www.facebook.com/lhammupanduptravel
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #1800
melissamacpherson78
Earning My Ears

Excited!

I'm so excited! I heard back from Brian at the Contemporary. Unfortunately he doesn't have pictures to show me but he suggested a mini cake with purple fondant, flowers and lots of sparkle. I asked what would be on top and he suggested the white chocolate castle. Quoted $50!! Has anyone else ordered without seeing a photo of what was being made? I'm a little nervous.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: