Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Betsy82
Mouseketeer

FJ - Help? Single Rider?

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the best way to do this. I haven't been to Universal for 5 years & so WWoHP is totally new to me.

My husband is a huge HP fan. However, he is not a fan, at all, of rides where he feels a lack of control (zero chance of him riding a roller coaster). From my research, and discussions with him, he will be skipping FJ. I'm going to ride it and try to report back first hand but I am about 90% certain he will happily skip.

We are staying on-site, in September. Attending on a Friday.

Is the queue worth the wait? Is it something he, a huge fan, should experience? Should we all just get together and hit the line first thing so he can see it and then he can hang out in child swap with our (preschool aged) sons?

Or is the "castle tour" a good enough option for a huge fan, and I could hop in Single Rider? He knows I love to ride and has zero issues waiting on me and people watching.

I am trying to determine what our plan of attack should be and all inputs are greatly appreciated. I doubt we will have another opportunity to visit Universal for YEARS, and are only attempting it with our sons so young because of several ducks lining up correctly to make it more than affordable.
Betsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
jjas
Mouseketeer

I have never done the castle tour but the line is ABSOLUTELY worth waiting in and seeing.
Me , DH , DD1 (27) , DD2 (21) , Max , Tucker , Lilly
jjas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

if he is a fan, do the regular line.

later do the castle line in a slow pace as you don't have to keep up with a line moving.
you can step aside in the castle line and let others pass by you.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Definitely wait in the regular line for your first time through. You do see a bit more than in the castle tour line.
BrinkofSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy82 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for advice on the best way to do this. I haven't been to Universal for 5 years & so WWoHP is totally new to me.

My husband is a huge HP fan. However, he is not a fan, at all, of rides where he feels a lack of control (zero chance of him riding a roller coaster). From my research, and discussions with him, he will be skipping FJ. I'm going to ride it and try to report back first hand but I am about 90% certain he will happily skip. If DH is a huge HP fan, have him go through the castle queue with you. He can take the exit right before the ride. The queue is worth it!!

We are staying on-site, in September. Attending on a Friday. Yeah! staying on-site allows you early entry into WWoHP and the unlimited express pass

Is the queue worth the wait? Is it something he, a huge fan, should experience? Should we all just get together and hit the line first thing so he can see it and then he can hang out in child swap with our (preschool aged) sons?I haven't done the child swap option, but the castle queue is totally worth it. I even let other people pass me by, so I can get the full experience in Dumbledore's office and in the Defense of the Dark Arts class room. There are so many photo pics and fun HP stuff to look at.

Or is the "castle tour" a good enough option for a huge fan, and I could hop in Single Rider? He knows I love to ride and has zero issues waiting on me and people watching. I have not taken the castle tour, but i hear that you do not see all of the queue, but see a special portrait room that is not in the regular queue. I would like to take both sometime.

I am trying to determine what our plan of attack should be and all inputs are greatly appreciated. I doubt we will have another opportunity to visit Universal for YEARS, and are only attempting it with our sons so young because of several ducks lining up correctly to make it more than affordable.
We lined up for WWoHP for the 1 hour early entry line, about 30min ahead of time. In that hour, we went to Olivanders 1st. Olivanders can have a huge line, outside....I was the 2nd group to get in. Then off to HP, 1st time quickly going thru the castle. 2nd and 3rd time taking our time, taking pics, stopping to listen to Dumbledore and Harry. Then went thru the queue for Dragon Challenge (DH does not like to ride) but the queue has many awesome Triwizard artifacts in it. Then went on Flight of the Hippogriff, again a really fun queue line with Hagrid's hut. The hour was up, so I got a frozen butterbeer and then hit the shops and Owlry. Took our time looking around, more pics and off to explore the rest of the park.

We got so much accomplished in that 1st hour, it was fantastic. We came back a couple hours before closing. WWoHP is awesome at night.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Betsy82
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the responses!

He is now thinking he would like to give it a try... Hopefully it doesn't make him sick.

I think we are going to be at the gate at 730, rush to WWoHP. Try for Ollivanders first, considering the youth of our children I think that line is more likely to cause an issue if it's long, then head to FJ.

Thank you so much! I am getting so excited
Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Herbie
DIS Veteran

I would add this..

I am NOT a fan of motion-simulater rides... I was concerned that Fj would not go well for me......

I was determined that i would try it at least once, just to see what it was like...I LOVED it..The ride is very smooth, and unlike any other ride i have ever seen..

Make sure he tries it at least once....ride it at closing time, so that if it makes him sick, you are done for the day and head back to the hotel.
If he likes it, you can ride again the next day!
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
hpriamson
Mouseketeer

My wife is also very prone to motion sickness - can't ride coasters, didn't enjoy Spider-Man or Simpsons (though she rode Test Track 4 times in a row, go figure), but we managed to talk her into riding FJ. She enjoyed it, said it didn't make her feel queasy at all.
hpriamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
luvthatdisney
I wish I was in Cali!!!

Betsy - your DH is just like me. I do not ride roller coasters anymore as I cannot tolerate the drops and I do not like going upside down. I too am a huge HP fan and I was determined to ride FJ this past weekend when we were there. I am so glad I did.

I have to admit there were a few times where the seat leans way back to the point I felt I was about to go upside down. When that happened I just closed my eyes until it went back down and I was fine. It did not actually go upside down, but just way back. The ride is very smooth and I did not notice the movement much as I was watching the scenes around me. I wanted to see every little thing!!

I will say this...when the camera takes the picture of your car during the ride, I had a huge smile on my face and my family laughed when they saw it, but I had so much fun and they know how much I love HP. I could have rode it all day!

Please tell your DH to try it, he will regret not trying. I know I would have. I will give you a little tip...if he has nausea (or if anyone else does) from motion sickness you can get Ginger gum at the drug store. It works very well and does not make you sleepy like other things do. We traveled with 2 that had severe motion sickness and it worked very well we were very surprised.
luvthatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Betsy82
Mouseketeer

Thanks.

I wish I had known the sizing restrictions on the ride before I talked about it with him. Now that someone has bumped that thread, I'm doubtful he will fit I was so excited he was wanting to give it a try, and then this.
DH's largest issue is not so much motion sickness (though it happens rarely, typically only with sinus related issues also being a factor) as much as just not liking the feeling of having no control. It makes him nervous and agitated. He's an OEF/OIF Veteran and I suspect those issues are tied to his deployments.

Anyway, he is very very very broad in his torso. He is not particularly tall but very broad across the chest. His arms are very muscular (probably as big around as my thighs) and from my research it seems he will not fit.

Basically, he's built like Wreck It Ralph. LOL

We will give the seats a try come September. I think I am more disappointed than he is. I love to ride so much, it is disappointing to me he might miss out. I would wager I'm more upset than him, as riding is not nearly as exciting to him. A mentality I do not entirely understand. I just feel bad for him.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy82 View Post
Thanks.

I wish I had known the sizing restrictions on the ride before I talked about it with him. Now that someone has bumped that thread, I'm doubtful he will fit I was so excited he was wanting to give it a try, and then this.
DH's largest issue is not so much motion sickness (though it happens rarely, typically only with sinus related issues also being a factor) as much as just not liking the feeling of having no control. It makes him nervous and agitated. He's an OEF/OIF Veteran and I suspect those issues are tied to his deployments.

Anyway, he is very very very broad in his torso. He is not particularly tall but very broad across the chest. His arms are very muscular (probably as big around as my thighs) and from my research it seems he will not fit.

Basically, he's built like Wreck It Ralph. LOL

We will give the seats a try come September. I think I am more disappointed than he is. I love to ride so much, it is disappointing to me he might miss out. I would wager I'm more upset than him, as riding is not nearly as exciting to him. A mentality I do not entirely understand. I just feel bad for him.
Do try the seats ahead of time. I am quite chesty and have to squish myself a little bit (not uncomfortable). i will cross my fingers he will fit

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: