Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
mcroker
Earning My Ears

Hilton head

We were thinking about taking a trip to HH in November or December this year. One, is it worth it to visit HH and two, is November or December a good time to go?
mcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

HH is definitely worth a visit. Nov and Dec are cold months for swimming in the ocean.

now Disney has a heated pool at HH - but it is just not the same as swimming in the seas.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
mcroker
Earning My Ears

Thanks. When is the best time to go?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
mcroker
Earning My Ears

Also, do you fly into HH and how far is the drive from the airport? Car?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

when is the best time - that depends upon you.

don't like the summer too crowded (my opinion) - Sept or Oct - the water is still warm and the place is not as crowded.

Live in Alabama so can easily drive there - think it took me around 6 to 7 hours.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

There is a small airport on HH and I don't know how close it would be. You can also fly into Savannah and I think that's approx an hours drive. Its a larger airport so you may be able to snag a lower fare

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
jollygreengirl
Mouseketeer

We LOVE HHI. It's such a neat resort town. It may be very chilly that time of year and difficult to do any swimming. You could probably still golf though and enjoy the beach from the shore, or even take a ferry to Tybee or Savannah to explore. The closest "big" airport is the Savannah/HHI airport. It's off the interstate, about 45 minutes away or longer depending on the tourist traffic headed onto HHI. It's not a bad drive usually. Saturdays are very congested on/off the island since most of the rentals rent Saturday to Saturday. There's a small business airport on HHI, but I'm sure it's crazy expensive to fly there.

A good time to go is May, after the big golf tournament in April, but before the summer crowds hit after Memorial day, HHI is very quiet then but also warm enough to swim. It can be really hot in May, but typically it hasn't hit the really horrific heat of July/August. I love going in May and have been the last two years.

The Disney HH DVC resort is very nice. We stayed there last year. My ds loved the pool and all the activities. The lifeguards knew him by name and were so sweet to him. The resort isn't on the ocean side of the island. It's on the "creek" side, next to Shelter Cove, but just a short shuttle/bike/car ride to the Disney Beach House on Palmetto Dunes. We rode our bikes over to the beach in the morning and then hung out at the main pool all afternoon. The Beach House has a small pool, too.

We also like staying at Sea Pines. There are lots of different lodging choices there...hotel, condo, houses, etc. You can ride your bike all over Sea Pines and explore old plantation ruins and other historical areas. It's a beautiful resort.
Mar 2011 WL...Jun 2011 VWL...Sept 2011 GF for MNSSHP!...Mar 2012 WL...May 2012 HHI DVC...May 2012 BCV for SWW!...July 2012 SSR...Sept 2012 AKL for MNSSHP!...Nov 2012 YC CL...Dec 2012 WL for MVMCP!...Mar 2013 CBR...June 2013 GF CL/BWI CL for SWW!
jollygreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
April7901
Mouseketeer

I'm headed there for the first time in May myself.

Just wanted to offer my experience with flights. I'm flying out of Chicago - I was finding flights in the $375 range to fly into Savannah- and then I would've either had to pay a shuttle to get to HHI or rent a car. Flights into HHH directly were only slightly over $400. So - keep in mind what your options are.
April7901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcroker View Post
We were thinking about taking a trip to HH in November or December this year. One, is it worth it to visit HH and two, is November or December a good time to go?
1) depends on what you like. HHI is quiet. if you like the activity and hustle/bustle of wdw and myrtle beach-type vacations, HHI is nothing like that.

the island has limited signage and is fairly dark at night. you need to plan ahead to find what you are looking for as it can be a frustrating place after dark if you aren't sure where you are going.

HHI has great seafood (and food in general), terrific golf, nice beaches and pleasant biking paths.

2) nov and dec are a bit iffy in terms of weather. i'd expect sept/oct are generally a better bet. for nov/dec beach trips, i'd head further south to FL...

in general, i wouldn't spend the premium to stay at disney's resort at HHI...but if only disney will do, i know opinions vary...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

We are booked on HHI 8/3-10 this year at an oceanfront condo. It's only $675 for the week...we've stayed at this facility before, and while it's a bit older, it's well kept, has a huge beach area, and largest pool on the island. We have also been to Disney's HH resort, but didn't find it worth the additional money at all.

We're driving down, planning breakfast and lunches in the condo with dinners out. Also planning kayaking, an eco tour, nature trails, and a day trip to Savannah. We took a walking ghost tour of the city at dusk before we had kids, and it was a lot of fun...kids are excited. All together, it should cost me half of what my Disney vacation cost last year.

http://mobile.vrbo.com/178675.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: