Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #46
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Awww...don't i feel the love?

Anyway...I (speaking only for me, myself, and I) never said that the Avatar Thing would be BAD.

I have no clue. I am saying that Avatar is lacking of cultural significance.

I believe a previous poster said it was a novelty - the first big budget cgi full 3D release. That i can agree with.

But the silliness of facebook likes...even the raw sale numbers...changes nothing to counter that NOBODY has mentioned this thing in the last 5 years. Not a soul, not a peep. And new "fantastic avatar adventures" are not set up to change that. The story was pretty ho-hum/bad on the first one. More movies that lack depth are gonna make that better? I doubt.
You can compare it to the second two star wars "prequels"...the movies were garbage (third one better...but damage done)...and yet it still made alot of money. But that only continued to erode the Star Wars theme/brand over the long haul. Which now disney is trying to resurrect.
Avatar is set up to be a similar tale...and that is why I and many question the wisdom of this construction project. I'm not saying it won't be good...i have no idea...but the IP, frankly, isn't.

And i know this goes against the Comic Con type and they'll fight me. But that is not what disney is after. They tend to (and some fighting ARE those type and be honest with yourself) like anything that uses high technology and goes overboard on budget and bangs and whistles. Lets be honest. Disney is not after this segment...they want mass appeal that leads to sustained attendance and profit...and that is where this project can and should be questioned.

I think Avatar was just that. It was big and blue (pun intended) and made green (pun intended) and was a decent 2.5 hours of our lives. But that is all it was...and perhaps 22 bucks for the blu ray at walmart 10 months later.

To be honest...thats the second time james cameron stepped in it and this happened. When Titanic came out...if you recall...it was "one of a kind"? Well, it hung around for six months and everyone saw it twice and then...
everyone completely forgot about it for all eternity. They tried dusting it off last year and if kinda fizzed.

Lots of similarities with Avatar...which had NO competition at the box office for a solid four months like Titanic and just was what was "there"...

So that's the deal from me.

and just incase i'm jacking the thread, off topic, and "wasting somebody's time"...i authorize you to not read this post and get back to your quantum physics.
I love it when people claim they are being inconvenienced by reading these threads.
We are all here WASTING EACH OTHERS TIME...that is the point of this. Lighten up.

And this thread...if "on topic"...it would be restricted to this:
OP: Any update on Avatar?
Response: Staggs mentioned that is was "on track and should be starting soon" in his Downtown announcement. One Sentence.

here endeth the thread...all other words are technically "off topic"

How exciting
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #47
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Zing!
Or "Ferngully Forest"...

guaranteed you can buy that licensing for $20 and not share the merchandise revenue with anybody
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #48
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

Or "Ferngully Forest"...

guaranteed you can buy that licensing for $20 and not share the merchandise revenue with anybody
Or last samarai
Or dances with wolves
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #49
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Yeah, but none of those could generate a ride where you can ride a dragon.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #50
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Yeah, but none of those could generate a ride where you can ride a dragon.
I agree dave i was being sarcastic with my replies

Avatar lends itself to a great theme park environment i dont even think its debatable

Great visuals as well

Hoping to hear about details soon
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #51
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Couldn't tell if your sarcasm was toward the other offered themes or toward the idea of "anything but". Thanks for the clarification.

We definitely agree-- while the pocahontas and other stories may be the same or similar, I don't go to disney to be immersed in a storyline-- I go to be imersed in another world. I've been to the mountains. They are really nice.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #52
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

If I had to guess, you will the new FOTLK theater start construction soon and concept art and details of Avatarland at the next D23 in September (?)

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #53
CRRitter
Earning My Ears

Ok one response said construction for lion king might start soon. Look none of you own Disney or Avatar they decide if the land happens or not. I just want to know if I can take my kid to see Festival of the LionKing in October?
CRRitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #54
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRitter View Post
Ok one response said construction for lion king might start soon. Look none of you own Disney or Avatar they decide if the land happens or not. I just want to know if I can take my kid to see Festival of the LionKing in October?
Im sure you will be able to
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #55
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I never saw Avatar because it looked kind of dumb and then everyone that I know who saw it said it was really bad. Even my teenagers didn't like it. Are they REALLY going to make a whole "land" out of it???
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
I never saw Avatar because it looked kind of dumb and then everyone that I know who saw it said it was really bad. Even my teenagers didn't like it. Are they REALLY going to make a whole "land" out of it???
Nope looks like an E ticket and shop

And everyone i ve talked to loved it
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #57
danielmorgan03
Mouseketeer

We all can stare our opinions and I for one think avatar will be horrible. It was a flavor of the month and not worthy of a theme park.
danielmorgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #58
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Say what you want about plot, box office, etc, but the scenery in Avatar was phenomenal, and given proper execution, deserves a recreation in real life. Should it be in Disney? I don't completely agree with that. But I won't whine about it either, because Disney is probably the best to do the job.

I personally can't wait to pay 20 dollars for a little chip of resin labeled "Unobtainium".

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #59
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~It's funny how people attempted to discredit the validity of the Avatarland concept by diminishing the merits of the film. Now, that they have been proven wrong and failed in that regard, "it's silly." So, the new old argument centers around "cultural significance." Give me a break. Seriously, now that's silly, imo. What is cultural significance? How does this distinctly define the theme park experience (for everyone)?

~I don't expect everyone to love the concept of Avatarland, that's perfectly fine. But, please don't try to make this factual, it's just a personal preference and high strung emotions at work, nothing more.

~And, everything will not be BIG & BLUE! LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Nope looks like an E ticket and shop

And everyone i ve talked to loved it
~For half a billion dollars, I would expect a tad more. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Couldn't tell if your sarcasm was toward the other offered themes or toward the idea of "anything but". Thanks for the clarification.

We definitely agree-- while the pocahontas and other stories may be the same or similar, I don't go to disney to be immersed in a storyline-- I go to be imersed in another world. I've been to the mountains. They are really nice.
I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
Say what you want about plot, box office, etc, but the scenery in Avatar was phenomenal, and given proper execution, deserves a recreation in real life. Should it be in Disney? I don't completely agree with that. But I won't whine about it either, because Disney is probably the best to do the job.

I personally can't wait to pay 20 dollars for a little chip of resin labeled "Unobtainium".
~I agree with this also!

~I can't wait for more details!!!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #60
beer dave

Oh no Drdisney-- did someone get whacked from the avengers team?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: