Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Jonell
DIS Veteran

DDP Question??

Would my 11 year old be allowed to order from the child's menu at QS locations even though he is considered an adult with the DDP? He prefers the children's menu options. Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonell View Post
Would my 11 year old be allowed to order from the child's menu at QS locations even though he is considered an adult with the DDP? He prefers the children's menu options. Thanks
Yes. Keep in mind though, that in your case, it might make more sense for you to pay OOP rather than purchase the DDP..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Jonell
DIS Veteran

Thanks..We did OOP last trip and we still found the DDP was a better option for us.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
My son was not permitted to order off the kids menu when we had the dining plan and he was over age nine.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
My son was not permitted to order off the kids menu when we had the dining plan and he was over age nine.
Even for QS?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Even for QS?
Yep, it was a counter service place. We only had Guest 10+ credits for our plan and he couldn't use one for a kids meal.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
GoHawkeyes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

Yep, it was a counter service place. We only had Guest 10+ credits for our plan and he couldn't use one for a kids meal.
That is silly! Wow! I have heard that you can get "adult" portions of kids' meal items if you ask, but I think that was in reference to TS. I would bet there is some variation there depending on CM.

My oldest is now "adult", and that is one reason we aren't doing DDP.
GoHawkeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Smiles4DW
Wanted: Pixie Dust

Quote:
Our last visit, a couple of years ago, my 11 y/o DS ordered off the kids menu at QS restaurants without a problem. You could always try it. It may be alright at one place vs another. The worst that could happen is they tell you no. Just prepare your child that they may have to make another choice.
Smiles4DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Though I have never been on the plan I thought I read that all CS credits where lumped together somehow. Well nothing I need to worry about since we are way past 10 year olds.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

You wouldn't be able to because your plan doesn't have a child on it. If you have 3 Disney adults and order 2A meals and 1C meal it won't allow it to go through. It's not up to the CM, it's the way the program runs. It will put up an error message and not allow the transaction to go through
Old 03-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks..We did OOP last trip and we still found the DDP was a better option for us.
Unless you have 2 or 3 other kids to make up the difference, I don't see how this could be. You're paying $55/night for him to get a $6 QS kid's meal. I'd pay OOP for his kid's meal and use his adult QS credits to get breakfast to share.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2
You wouldn't be able to because your plan doesn't have a child on it. If you have 3 Disney adults and order 2A meals and 1C meal it won't allow it to go through. It's not up to the CM, it's the way the program runs. It will put up an error message and not allow the transaction to go through
That's not true. Our 16 year old almost always still orders off the kids menu and we always do the DDP - this has never been an issue at CS or TS restaurants. An uneducated CM may refuse to run it that way, but it's definitely possible. Disney loves it when people who have PREPAID for an adult meal go in and get a child meal - it just makes them more money.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411

That's not true. Our 16 year old almost always still orders off the kids menu and we always do the DDP - this has never been an issue at CS or TS restaurants. An uneducated CM may refuse to run it that way, but it's definitely possible. Disney loves it when people who have PREPAID for an adult meal go in and get a child meal - it just makes them more money.
This is what i don't understand. Why even get the DDP if someone on the plan doesn't want the food choices they are given? If your KTTW card says 3 A you are to order 3A meals. Not 2 A and 1 C. Regardless if the meal is less expensive or not. If that doesn't work for your family pay OOP.

And to the poster i quoted, not sure when your last visit was, but since the last computer update it WILL put up an error message and the transaction blocked. At a TS only the manager can override it something a guest would never know.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2

This is what i don't understand. Why even get the DDP if someone on the plan doesn't want the food choices they are given? If your KTTW card says 3 A you are to order 3A meals. Not 2 A and 1 C. Regardless if the meal is less expensive or not. If that doesn't work for your family pay OOP.

And to the poster i quoted, not sure when your last visit was, but since the last computer update it WILL put up an error message and the transaction blocked. At a TS only the manager can override it something a guest would never know.
You couldn't possibly know what works for our family, because you missed the mark about what is right and works for us. The DDP works great for our family, that's why we have gotten it at least 16 times since they introduced it in 2005. We have a large family with 5 children and have paid for it a couple of times when the children were all under ten, but have been going during free dining promos about twice per year since 2007. We now only travel during free dining weeks so it would be stupid for us to pay out of pocket for any meals. My oldest is a bit picky and a light eater, so it's great she has the option of getting the kids meal if she chooses - or if the other kids want to. We aren't paying for the DDP so if she wants an occasional child's meal, it's perfectly fine.

As for ordering off the kids menu, and it not being allowed, that's just not true. If go to a CS location and tried to order 3 adult combos, for example, and only had 2 adults and 1 child on your card, they would not allow that. Ordering a child meal for an adult is acceptable and within Disney policy. If a CM at a CS location told you something differently, they are mistaken and so are you.

Last edited by TheDisney411; 03-18-2013 at 08:14 AM.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
...As for ordering off the kids menu, and it not being allowed, that's just not true. If go to a CS location and tried to order 3 adult combos, for example, and only had 2 adults and 1 child on your card, they would not allow that. Ordering a child meal for an adult is acceptable and within Disney policy. If a CM at a CS location told you something differently, they are mistaken and so are you.
It depends on the CM. The CM my son asked did not allow it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: