Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #31
Karabee
DIS Veteran

I was so underwhelmed with WL. The rooms seemed so dated and worn. Even for me the pool wasn't great because it was so small and the games going on all day long. I also was fortunate enough to stay at GF at a very discounted rate but would have been so underwhelmed if I had paid full price.

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
Sammie
DIS Veteran

When people say they don't care for a resort's theme, room decor, etc. do they never look at photos and videos before they go.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #33
si-am
DIS Veteran

I did not care for Coronado Springs. The theming wasn't really fun, and the food court was complicated. That was years and years ago, though, so maybe it's time to give it another chance.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #34
sls404
Mouseketeer

I feel this way about CSR. It was my first moderate after several stays at POP. I picked it because the rooms were so beautiful- much nicer looking than most of the Deluxe resorts IMO.

What dissapointed me so much was the size of the resort and the bus service. The resort is spread out, we hardly went to the main building and it was a hike just to get to our bus stop. On top of that, it seemed like we waited 30 mins for buses every day and then of course it would take even longer to get to all of the other stops around the resort! I would much rather stay at POP than CSR.

After staying there, I realized how important resort size is to me. We chose POFQ after that trip and LOVED it!
sls404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #35
alex9179
DIS Veteran

We have only stayed at WDW for one vacation. The theming at AOA was fantastic. We stayed in the Cars section and we loved the suite along with the photo ops every 10 ft! The kids were over the moon. We only ate at the food court twice and both times were high maintenance. With a family of 5, and kids who suddenly weren't very adventurous about their food, we had to go for some basics and the meals were not enjoyable. The breakfast, in particular, was terrible. Unseasoned eggs, cold pancakes, and the potato casserole was awful-onion powder overload I think. I thought it was a safe choice, we should have tried the more exotic offerings. Oh, and we had requested our luggage be delivered late since we got in late. It wasn't communicated and we fell asleep waiting for it. Finally called bell sevices at around 1:30 am asking about it and it was delivered about 30 minutes later, I think. I was a little delirious at that point. It was a long first day.
We wouldn't stay there again because the expense didn't offset the convenience and theming.

We moved to the Poly for the lion's share of our planned split stay. We all loved, pretty much, everything. We did splurge for CL, because our kids eat all of the time and we utilized that amenity multiple times a day. The rooms weren't fancy, but felt very relaxing. Plenty of room, even after loving the suite experience-kinda missed 2 bathrooms. DH was a huge fan of the boat transport. Kids loved the pool and it never had an unexpected close or was too crowded on our nice days.
There was an issue at check in. Asked about it outside, since we were CL. Told to go inside and when our turn came we were told to back outside. So, back to the drive we went. No golf cart because our luggage was being transferred, but the CM who walked us to Hawaii was very nice and the rest of the trip was trouble free. The kids thought the Neverland Club was the HIGHLIGHT of their trip...little turkeys. The staff in the lounge were super friendly.

I'm taking a trip with my mom to POR next, and am looking forward to it. I love that there are two lounges with musical entertainment within walking distance. A well-liked, large food court as well as TS. And we can walk to POFQ for CS that takes TIW. The grounds are beautiful, which is a huge thing for me as well as my mom. I like seeing trees and plants first, when I look out my room, with buildings in the background. We both have fond, childhood river memories and every time I see pics of it I feel an exceptional calm come over me. I'm in desperate need of calm.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #36
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph

Believe it or not, I was underwhelmed by the Polynesian. I was used to staying at the BC and BCV and had been very spoiled by having everything under one roof and the very short walk to Epcot. My sister and I ran the Disney half marathon one year, and the race package included three nights at the Polynesian in the Tahiti building, lagoon view room, which happens to be one of the favored buildings. Unfortunately, that weekend was mostly cold and rainy. I hated the long walk in the wind and rain to get a cup of coffee in the morning. Although the Poly room was larger than the BC room, it felt much less upscale than the rooms at the BC. We had a great castle view and we were the second room from the end, closest to the ferry, so it was a nice walk to the TTC. But the main building where the restaurants and monorail access are just seemed cold and dreary.

To give the Poly a fair chance, though, I am sure that it is much nicer when it isn't cold and rainy out. But I have no desire to spend the extra money to stay at the Poly when there are so many nicer deluxe resorts to stay at.
Same here...in the same building as well:/
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #37
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M
Not really. We've loved each WDW resort we've stayed in, including Poly. But although I loved our stay there, I thought the halls & elevators did not really reflect an upscale $$$ resort. I hear they are doing a total refurb of all the longhouses now, much needed.

As Wood Nymph says there are also benefits of staying at the resorts that are all under 1 roof, but I also love walking along the beautiful landscaping of many of the resorts too, like Poly, & POR.
That was my problem too!
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
JeannieKY
Tink fan

I did not love the BC. Love love WL. Like POFQ, Pop and All Stars all way more than BC. Disney has something for everyone. I tend to prefer the values for more of a Disney vibe.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #39
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
CBR was my underwhelming place. The room was so disappointing. It just didn't feel disney to me.

PoR gives me that great disney feel .
I'm the exact opposite!

POR - I just don't get what all the fuss is about. It's nice but... meh.

CBR - my new home away from home and go-to Disney resort!

Well, until the beautiful day that I can afford to stay at OKW. I loved, loved, loved my upgrade to OKW!

Most definitely different strokes for different folks!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #40
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I was slightly underwhelmed by the mansion section at POR. I thought I would prefer it to Alligator Bayou, but in person the mansions have a more motel-y feel than the AB area. Something about the rooms all in a long row, I think.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #41
vatali
Mouseketeer

I think it has a lot to do with timing. Our last trip to FQ was this way for us. The kids had been to Disney several times before and were at the age of not riding the stars but bored of the kids rides. They were not excited for anything "new". We had just gotten back from St. Martin where we had a condo on the beach for a week. POFQ seemed like a huge letdown.

That being said we were worried last year with CR as our vacation. The kids didn't express a lot of interest before we left, but it turned out to be our best trip ever. The oldest rode all the stars (after acting afraid until she got to the front of the line) and the youngest rode everything with virtually no lines. The ability to walk to MK at any time (and not ride the busses back late at night waiting) was well worth the extra magic as well.

May 04 - Off-site, Dec 06 - POR, Dec 07 - POFQ, Dec 09 - POR, Dec 11 - POFQ, Dec 12 - Contemporary, April 14 - DLR
vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #42
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
When people say they don't care for a resort's theme, room decor, etc. do they never look at photos and videos before they go.
Sadly that's what made me upset. I thought the WL was so cozy looking but being there as a guest and not just walking the grounds was a totally different experience. I hope to try all Deluxe and Mods - You never know until you try!

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #43
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

Poly ... it was years & year ago and I really hadn't researched anything about it besides location, but for the price we paid I was like "Huh ... I have to to walk how far to get to my room?" And then it seemed very drab. I was just expecting a lot more for the $$$$$. I didn't have kids back then ... I think I would be willing to try it again with kids (and a room request ... didn't know about room requests).
eyeheartgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #44
LILJAN59
Mouseketeer

Enjoyed them all in each ones unique way

We have stayed at the Poly 3x, GF 1x, OKW 3x, CBR 2x, ASM 1x, ALL STAR SPORTS 1x,
PORR 2x, AKL 2x, AKK 1x, SSR 4x. Each Resort is UNIQUE in it's own way to us. We enjoyed our stays at all of them. Our first trip was in 4/1973 for our honeymoon, and we stayed at what used to be the Royal Inn that is now the Royal Plaza near DTD. We had to ride their bus back and forth on their schedule, and did not like that. Every trip since we stay on site. We are now DVC MEMBERS , and so far have enjoyed each DVC RESORT we have stayed at.
Our next trip is 12/21-1/2/2014, and we will be enjoying a 2 BR at SSR for that entire trip with our 2 DD, 1 SIL, 2 DGS. We are really looking forward to it!!!
LILJAN59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #45
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Underwhelmed is not the right word. we flat out did not enjoy the Boardwalk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: