Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

Palo or not?

We are going on a 4 night cruise on the Dream in August. This is our first cruise, ever. I'm trying to decide if we should book a dinner at Palo - or just stick to our rotations. I know that Palo is supposed to be fantastic and I'd love to try it...but - I don't want to miss out on the other dining experiences either. Most people seem to try and book on Pirate night, but I would think for our first cruise we should experience this? Along with that, I do not know how my kids will react to the kids' clubs (ds - 7 and dd-12) - if one of them decides they don't want to go to the club that night (which is a possibility with my son because of sensory issues) then we would have to cancel.
So, what would you recommend - go ahead and book it and hope all goes well (if so, what dining experience should we skip)? Or, don't bother with Palo this time and if we do another cruise, go for it then?
ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner View Post
We are going on a 4 night cruise on the Dream in August. This is our first cruise, ever. I'm trying to decide if we should book a dinner at Palo - or just stick to our rotations. I know that Palo is supposed to be fantastic and I'd love to try it...but - I don't want to miss out on the other dining experiences either. Most people seem to try and book on Pirate night, but I would think for our first cruise we should experience this? Along with that, I do not know how my kids will react to the kids' clubs (ds - 7 and dd-12) - if one of them decides they don't want to go to the club that night (which is a possibility with my son because of sensory issues) then we would have to cancel.
So, what would you recommend - go ahead and book it and hope all goes well (if so, what dining experience should we skip)? Or, don't bother with Palo this time and if we do another cruise, go for it then?
Honestly, for a first cruise and a short one, I'd just go with the regular roatations. Save Palo for another time (as there probably will be one ).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
bellabaloo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner View Post
We just got back from our first disney cruise and went to Palo for both a dinner and a brunch. It was far better than the dining room food. i think any night you choose will be fine. No one main dining rm experience is better than the others, imo. Palo was awesome.

Disney Magic - March 9, 2013
bellabaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

My fav was palo brunch. Try todo that maybe? The kids will probably enjoy the clubs when they are less tired.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We didn't go to Palo on our first cruise, a 7-night. We simply were enjoying the MDR with our kids and servers. We went to dinner our second cruise only because friends we had made on the boards and linked dining with insisted that the kids go to dinner with them. We have not gone to Palo each cruise since. It's nice, but if we don't go it's not a big deal for us.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
HollandmillerFamily
Mouseketeer

Brunch!

Do the brunch! No issues with missing any dinners in the MDRs and, like another poster suggested, it might be more fun for your kids in the clubs during the day anyway. And no missed family time at dinner.
Good luck!
HollandmillerFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
tryin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandmillerFamily View Post
Do the brunch! No issues with missing any dinners in the MDRs and, like another poster suggested, it might be more fun for your kids in the clubs during the day anyway. And no missed family time at dinner.
Good luck!
I concur!
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
dbenlee
DIS Veteran

As others have suggested, I would do brunch at most for such a short cruise being that it is your first. And in my opinion, brunch is better than dinner. Don;t get me wrong, they are both great and well worth it.
June 2004 * Wilderness Lodge (sons first visit) --- June 2005 * Wilderness Lodge --- June 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- November 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- May/June 2007 * Yacht Club --- June 2008 Land & Sea * Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian and Disney Wonder 3 nights --- December 5, 2008 * Beach Club Resort --- ]une 13, 2009 * Disney Magic 7 nights --- June 4 to 18, 2010 * Bay Lake Towers --- [COLOR="Red"]June 12 to 17, 2011 * Disney Dream --- December 16-20, 2011 * Bay Lake Towers --- May 31 to June 11 2012 * Aulani --- February 1-5, 2013 * Disney Magic --- June 15, 2013 * Disney Fantasy 7 night Eastern Caribbean --- November 24, 2013 * Disney Magic 5 night Western Caribbean --- June 10-14, 2014 * Aulani
Looking forward to many more with DW (Texas Disney Fan) and DS14!!

DISDad member #2

dbenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The problem with brunch on a 4-day is that there's only one day it's available, which makes it difficult(!) to get reservations. So, if you can't, don't sweat it.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabaloo View Post
We just got back from our first disney cruise and went to Palo for both a dinner and a brunch. It was far better than the dining room food. i think any night you choose will be fine. No one main dining rm experience is better than the others, imo. Palo was awesome.
Gets my vote as well , do both. Who knows when you'll get to cruise again. Palo (or Remy) should not be missed.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

On my most recent cruise this past October, on the Dream, we really enjoyed the main dining rooms - both the food and the service.

We only ate in palo for brunch and were disappointed in both the food and the service.

So you see, everyone is different. You might like it, you might not.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

I didn't think of the brunch because I don't typically like brunch - I'm weird, I either like breakfast food or lunch food, I don't like to mix them! However, maybe I will do it just to try Palo out and then hopefully there will be a next time where we are a little more "in tune" with the whole experience and we can do dinner then! I'm assuming brunch is served on the day at sea for the 4 night cruise? What time frame do they do the brunch?
I know it will be tricky to get the brunch resv. so I will take it as a sign if I can't get it!
ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
robhawk
DIS Veteran

First reservation is at 10am. I believe it goes til 2pm
On our first cruise we did this. The kids went to the movies.
I think it will be easier during the day. Love Palo brunch!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

by the way, on our first cruise we didn't do palos because our kids weren't old enough and we didn't want to eat any meals without them

Our son was in the teen club on that cruise, but he had all meals with us (that was our family time).
So we didn't want to give up one of those times by going to palo without him.

On our second cruise, both kids were old enough for palo so we did the palo brunch. The food and service were good, but it wasn't the big deal that everyone makes it out to be. We wouldn't have done it again.

However, on my last cruise, i was with my mom and sister. So i decided to reserve palo dinner, remy dinner and palo brunch.
But then my sister decided that remy was too foodie for her, so i canceled that.
And then we fell in love with our regular MDR wait staff (our server was beyond outstanding - he was superb, amazing, incredibly good) so we didn't want to give up even one night in the MDRs, so we cancelled the palo dinner (no charge as they had a waiting list of people who wanted it).
In the end, we only did the palo brunch and this time i was actually disappointed by both the food and service. And my mom and sister agreed with me.

I'm sorry i didn't have a chance to eat at remy, but there's always next time.
Anyway, that's the full story
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
oliverdj
Mouseketeer

I think you should make the reservations for Palo (at least you have the option)

On our 1st disney cruise last fall my DH & I ate at Palo & we really enjoyed our experience there.

Like others have posted, who knows when you will cruise again

Have fun on your cruise!

---------------------------------------------
First Disney Cruise: 2012 Disney Dream
oliverdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: