Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #286
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStitch

I ran the Full this year in January and the Princess Half in February. I felt that the Princess was MUCH more crowded. I had times during the Full that crowding got bad, but there were also times with plenty of elbow room. For me, in Corral D for the Princess, the course never opened up at all. The Full was more fun. That was my mileage. Others' may vary.
Thanks. I've been leaning toward Disney. I thought the scenery would be a good distraction for that long of a race. Btw. I was in C and it never opened up either.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #287
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Got some news shoes, first time in like 4 years apparently. Maybe running will feel better now :-). Just started running seriously last year and I'm a catching on now. Of course now that I know shoe mileage and the fact that I'm not a "runners build" according to the guy at the running store, I'll be going through a lot of shoes training for Mickey in 2014. The guys was cool and funny with his comment, it sounds mean in text but he was cool. And frankly at 6' 200lbs I'm slightly large to be a runner. Have the Phillies 5k next Saturday and the Broad Street run (10 miles) 5/5, will get those news shoes some use.
steves1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #288
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1019 View Post
Got some news shoes, first time in like 4 years apparently. Maybe running will feel better now :-). Just started running seriously last year and I'm a catching on now. Of course now that I know shoe mileage and the fact that I'm not a "runners build" according to the guy at the running store, I'll be going through a lot of shoes training for Mickey in 2014. The guys was cool and funny with his comment, it sounds mean in text but he was cool. And frankly at 6' 200lbs I'm slightly large to be a runner. Have the Phillies 5k next Saturday and the Broad Street run (10 miles) 5/5, will get those news shoes some use.
I know he was joking and you are also, but bottom line is, No you arent too large to be a runner. Right now I'm still around 245 at like 5 10" and while there is some walking involved there also is at least an equal amount of running involved. I will probably only ever be a participant, but I AM a runner!!!!! And so are you!

And yes proper shoes /new shoes are AWESOME!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #289
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

Quote:
At 6' 6" and 235 lbs. I'm too large to be a runner too. I don't let that stop me. At least my wife does not have any problems spotting me when I cross the finish line. BTW, I replace my shoes at the 400 to 500 mile mark, which for me is about every three to four months.

Rick
rmgreenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #290
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I am late with this news on the board. I have let a few folks know and left cookie crumbles under the avatar. ...
How exciting, congratulations Coach! Good luck with the transition!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #291
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
I know he was joking and you are also, but bottom line is, No you arent too large to be a runner. Right now I'm still around 245 at like 5 10" and while there is some walking involved there also is at least an equal amount of running involved. I will probably only ever be a participant, but I AM a runner!!!!! And so are you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgreenesq View Post
At 6' 6" and 235 lbs. I'm too large to be a runner too. I don't let that stop me. At least my wife does not have any problems spotting me when I cross the finish line. BTW, I replace my shoes at the 400 to 500 mile mark, which for me is about every three to four months.

Rick
I'm not a big, burly man like you three are, lol, but I know that my body was NOT meant to run. I have had enough frustrating injuries to know that for a fact. But I will continue to run and make the best of what I was born with. Nothing has ever inspired me like running, so I'll continue for as long as I can!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #292
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
I'm not a big, burly man like you three are, lol, but I know that my body was NOT meant to run. I have had enough frustrating injuries to know that for a fact. But I will continue to run and make the best of what I was born with. Nothing has ever inspired me like running, so I'll continue for as long as I can!
Granted running is helping that number drop . A couple of months ago I was closer to 265 or so.. So down 20lbs and counting!! Hope to be down close to #200 by 2014 marathon, but if not, am still running!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #293
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgreenesq View Post

Rick
Thanks for the mileage info, will help me as I look to replace this set of shoes properly
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #294
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post

Guess I should have stated to be a stereotypical runner :-). I actually hate running, but it has been the not typical athletes that have inspired me to do something I'm not good at or "shouldn't" be doing. When I see a person who doesn't fit the mold complete and event it motivates me to the point that says if they are doing so can I. And hence why I'm on these boards prepping for a marathon. NEVER EVER thought I'd even think of doing one!
I appreciate all the support, but the guy really was cool. It was just letting me know I need to replace my shoes more often. He in no way was discouraging me from running. He was really nice and the comment was part of a conversation.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #295
Nole95
Mouseketeer

I ran my second half marathon yesterday here in Atlanta. It was the Publix Atlanta Half, and it was on a very hilly course. I finished in 2:15:46, which took 16 minutes off the time I ran at the Wine & Dine 2012, which was my first half.

Other than the increased training I did for the past few months, I found that what helped me a lot during the race was running with a pace team. The 2:15 pace team was in my corral, and I pretty much stayed with them the entire race. It kept me from coming out the gate too quickly, and allowed me to run a nice even pace throughout the race.

Does Disney do something similar for their races? If so, how does that work. Say I want to be in the 4:30 or 5:00 pace group for the marathon. How do I know I would be in the same corral as one of these pace groups?
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #296
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole95 View Post
I ran my second half marathon yesterday here in Atlanta. It was the Publix Atlanta Half, and it was on a very hilly course. I finished in 2:15:46, which took 16 minutes off the time I ran at the Wine & Dine 2012, which was my first half.

Other than the increased training I did for the past few months, I found that what helped me a lot during the race was running with a pace team. The 2:15 pace team was in my corral, and I pretty much stayed with them the entire race. It kept me from coming out the gate too quickly, and allowed me to run a nice even pace throughout the race.

Does Disney do something similar for their races? If so, how does that work. Say I want to be in the 4:30 or 5:00 pace group for the marathon. How do I know I would be in the same corral as one of these pace groups?
Since the corrals are assigned by estimated race time, there is no real jumping to a pace group that is not already in your assigned corral or behind your assigned corral. In other words, signing up for a team will not place you in the same corral as the team.

For the 2013 race, Clif had pace teams with goal times of 3:05, 3:15, 3:25, 3:35, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 5:00 and 5:30. Corrals were seeded such that estimated times A was sub 3:50 runners; B <4:15; C <4:30; D <5:00; E =5:00; F <5:30; G <6:00 and H the remainder. I cannot say for sure if the pace team at the dividing line between corrals slipped back one corral to pick up stretch goal runners or not. I know we had one pace group in C and I thought it the 4:30 group, but do not really recall.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #297
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Can someone remind me.... What is the lowest estimated finish time one can put for the full with no proof? I know for a half it's 2:45. ty!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #298
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

I believe I read that a 5:00 time requires proof but 5 hours and 1 minute does not.
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #299
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

I has been 5:00 for the cutoff. Though the 5 hour time took a whole corral in 2013. I would expect that at some point the line for proof will bump up to something higher.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #300
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
I believe I read that a 5:00 time requires proof but 5 hours and 1 minute does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I has been 5:00 for the cutoff. Though the 5 hour time took a whole corral in 2013. I would expect that at some point the line for proof will bump up to something higher.
Thanks you two.

Coach, yeah wouldn't it make more sense for the full cutoff to be at least twice the half cutoff? So, anything under 5:30 would need proof. I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to ask that of people.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: