Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I've stayed all three levels including split staying at a deluxe then a mod. I loved the BC and would like to stay there or at AKL or Poly sometime, and I can tolerate the values (not my fav but ASMu is fine and been there twice. Liked it better than AoA), but I think I am going to be a Mod first visitor.

For the best $value, location, amenities that I actually use ratio I am right there at the mod level.

Pro of deluxe for me is location. Con is the price. To get what I would consider a true Deluxe stay I'm looking at 400-500 + a night.

Pro of the Value is the price hands down. Con is the fact that I hate the huge icon decorations, and it is just a hotel stay. No true resort atmosphere for me.

So a mod fits me. For the price I'm paying I get a decent resort type atmosphere, they are more centrally located and in the case of POFQ boat transportation to DTD and a sister resort to go to as well.

I'm not a pool person and I actually have some food issues that make a basic food court on site a better fit for the few meals I eat at the resort. I mostly eat at the parks though I do hit up the deluxe s for TS meals no matter where I stay. Love eating at Epcot the best, so BC was great there.

If I was more into pool lounging or staying club level or would only eat TS meals I might limit myself to Deluxe, but I'd look at the mods if you wanted a nice mix of park commando only need a bed level and I have to have a true resort relaxing vacation.

Last edited by bookgirl; 03-16-2013 at 12:17 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
ewalshslp
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate it! We have a lot to think about. Unfortunately, my DH is no help! He's a deluxe guy all the way!!!
2007, BWV, just the 3 of us
2009, BC, just the 4 of us
2012 Going ALL OUT!!!!!
2014, Back to the BWV

ewalshslp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

We always stay Deluxe, but are staying at the FW Cabins this time for a change of pace. FW isn't really a resort in the way the other mod resorts are, so we aren't going to be getting the typical experience. We don't do a lot of hanging around the resort, but are looking forward to having archery/horseback riding and other unique things that even the Deluxes don't have.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

I've stayed mostly deluxe, but had my first value stay last year. My family had an awesome time, and that's opened my eyes to all sorts of possibilities at Disney. I think all the Disney resorts are lovely places to stay. There's something cool and exciting about every single one. I wouldn't hesitate to stay anywhere on Disney property.

Good luck with your decision! There are really no bad choices.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
karly05
DIS Veteran

I love the BC, especially for the lovely stroll to Epcot. Poly was nice, but if I'm spending for Deluxe, BC is my choice. That said - in the interest of going more often (aka saving money), I tried POFQ this year and really loved it. I would happily stay there any time.

I'm not a pool person, so that wasn't a factor. I had my qualms about the "exterior corridors," but ended up perfectly comfortable with them. I'm more of a "Theme Park Commando," so I don't really need the deluxe amenities for my vacation style.

The main thing I missed about BC was the location, the walk to Epcot, the boat to DHS, and the convenience of going back to the resort during the day when at Epcot or DHS.

POFQ is pretty and charming, there was a room refurb in recent years, and my room was nice, clean and comfy. It is small and compact, which is why I chose it among the mods. One thing I really preferred about POFQ was having the food court for breakfast. When I stayed at BC in 2012, the BC Marketplace had very limited breakfast options; I ended up eating breakfast at the Captain's Grille at YC 3 out of 4 mornings that trip. POFQ has a wide variety of hot and cold breakfast selections, including Mickey waffles!

The point of this novel is, I had my doubts about going from deluxe to mod but ended up being very happy with my choice.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We go back and forth between moderates & deluxe all the time. No, I'm never disappointed with the moderates, we love the POR & FQ resorts and always have a wonderful time at them. And we love our Deluxe stays too. If we stay moderate most of the time it's for winter trips, (although we have certainly stayed deluxe in winter too) and summer prefer Deluxe. We don't stay at the parks all day & night.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #22
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I love this thread! We've only stayed Deluxe, but have considered trying out a mod for the cost savings. The problem is we do like to spend time at our resort every day. For a "commando" trip, I don't think I'd pay Deluxe prices, but we have yet to go to WDW and not spend a good deal of time relaxing at our resort.

I really would like to try a moderate, so everyone's observations are very helpful!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We stayed at Poly on our first trip and have stayed at POR twice since, and will be staying at CSR on our next trip in November. For me, the price jump from value to moderate is justified and worth it whereas the jump from mod to deluxe is not worth it as much to us. Moderates have everything we need/want. The only thing we like better at deluxes are the balconies, and alternate options of transportation but its not worth the added expense to us.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalshslp View Post
Thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate it! We have a lot to think about. Unfortunately, my DH is no help! He's a deluxe guy all the way!!!
I was in your situation last year. We have never stayed anywhere but deluxe with the exception of one year at OKW. Last year for financial reasons, we needed to downsize a little, so we tried CSR.

I can't go so far as to say I was disappointed, but it definitely was not the same. So many things were less magical for us than our usual Poly. We missed the monorail for starters, plus the amenities, the room size, and the layout of the resort. The walk to the pool from our building was so long I could have taken a nap when I got there. It just wasn't the same. Now if it was a question of not being able to afford to go unless we stayed at a mod, then of course, we would opt for the mod. This year things are better, so we will be going back to Poly. As a matter of fact, I just pulled the trigger and made the reservations this afternoon. BTW, if dh is a deluxe guy all the way, use that to your advantage! Mine is too, sort of. He is very frugal, but he definitely was not overwhelmed by CSR. He said he missed everything about Poly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
I love this thread! We've only stayed Deluxe, but have considered trying out a mod for the cost savings. The problem is we do like to spend time at our resort every day. For a "commando" trip, I don't think I'd pay Deluxe prices, but we have yet to go to WDW and not spend a good deal of time relaxing at our resort.

I really would like to try a moderate, so everyone's observations are very helpful!
I love this thread too! We, like you, enjoy spending time at our resort everyday as well. For us, Poly is just heaven! I'm glad I can say I tried CSR. While there were things I liked about it, and there certainly was nothing horrible about it, as long as it financially do able for us, we will stay deluxe from now on. Hope this helps!
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
evilqueenmindy
Mouseketeer

We're the opposite, stayed mod for years and years and since slowing down in our touring style have started staying deluxe almost exclusively. If I were to go back to mod, I'd go with either of the port orleanses, the boat option to DTD feels a little more deluxe-ish than what you will find at CBR and such.
evilqueenmindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: