Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

I played around with that spreadsheet today and it was fun. We have loved the dining plan in the past because it was convenient and I like that my husband didn't freak out about costs. But now all three of our kids are "Disney adults" and no one drinks soda in our family. Plus last trip we were so full most of the time we had about 20 snack credits to burn on the last day. It was very helpful to see the comparisons side by side.
Aristocath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
ChloesDaddy
Mouseketeer

Even if you don't get the dining plan the spreadsheet provides a good guideline for budgeting OOP costs.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
4Minnies1Mickey
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone!
4Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMike View Post
Wow, that's not exactly true or helpful.

It all depends on how you & your family eats while on vacation. For some people it's not worth the money & for others it is. For my family, the dining plan has always saved us money. I think it's worth it to look at that spread sheet to see if the dining plan will work for you or to figure out how much money to budget for meals.
Yup us too. The DP has always saved us a ton of money. We like to have dessert with each meal, we dont get appetizers...so the DP is great for us! We have always had free dining....wait, I think i had to pay for dining one time. But other than that, its always been free. And since we stay at the value resorts, the room discount is garbage for us. So we take the free dining since its a much better value. It all depends on how your family eats. If you have picky eaters with small appetites, the DP might not be the best for you.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Yup us too. The DP has always saved us a ton of money. We like to have dessert with each meal, we dont get appetizers...so the DP is great for us! We have always had free dining....wait, I think i had to pay for dining one time. But other than that, its always been free. And since we stay at the value resorts, the room discount is garbage for us. So we take the free dining since its a much better value. It all depends on how your family eats. If you have picky eaters with small appetites, the DP might not be the best for you.
That spreadsheet also helps determine whether or not Free Dining is a good value for you.
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the link. I really enjoyed looking at it and using it.

I went towards the high side,with 75% drinks and 50% dessert and got a $350 difference using the plan.

For my family I found a couple problems. First we will be there 7 nights yet taking a late flight so 8 days which is an extra meal. Also wanna do Hoop and Royal table so I eneded up with 9 tables and 8 counter services.

Thing I have is I am new to the World so I dont know portion sizes and such and I dont know what I want ntil I get there. Also may be nice to get a dessert here and there and live it up a bit.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the link. I really enjoyed looking at it and using it.

I went towards the high side,with 75% drinks and 50% dessert and got a $350 difference using the plan.

For my family I found a couple problems. First we will be there 7 nights yet taking a late flight so 8 days which is an extra meal. Also wanna do Hoop and Royal table so I eneded up with 9 tables and 8 counter services.

Thing I have is I am new to the World so I dont know portion sizes and such and I dont know what I want ntil I get there. Also may be nice to get a dessert here and there and live it up a bit.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #23
NotThatKevinSmith
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Minnies1Mickey
So I'm still somewhat new to the boards but I saw a post on the Touring Plans blog today and it seemed so cool I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with it. It sounds like a spreadsheet that you put in where you are going to eat and it tells you if you should get a dining plan and how much to budget if not. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't have Excel so I would need to go to my library. Should I???!?!

Here's the link http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/03...r-spreadsheet/
I'm the one who wrote that blog post and created the spreadsheet. I think you should give it a go. It is a lot more accurate (as long as you know where you want to eat) than people think. Since I created it a few months ago I have gotten a lot of feedback and many have said that they budgeted what the spreadsheet said and were within 10 or 20 dollars at the end of their trip. Unless you have the time to sit down and look at all the menus, this is a very helpful tool in my opinion.
NotThatKevinSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #24
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Just want to add in here.

We prefer the dinning plan, and love it. We prefer DDXDP as we are foodies, and enjoy the 2 tS credit meal, and character meals. Even when the DD's were little we did DDP, as they got older we moved up to DDXDP, and will con't to use it. DH and I both like know that everything is paid for upfront, except for tips and adult beverage. I just love knowing that everyone can order whatever they want, appetizer, entree and dessert. We normally all get something different with appetizer and dessert, and share that way we all get a little taste.

I suggest looking at the menu's, look at them with what you really want, and not at the cost of the entree. When paying oop, you tend to look at the cost. When on the dinning plan you just look at the options. It's your vacation so splurge a little bit, isn't that what vacations are all about.

No matter what you decide, have a wonderful and magical trip!!!
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #25
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
That spreadsheet also helps determine whether or not Free Dining is a good value for you.
If there's a room discount OR free dining deal....i will always take free dining because we normally stay in a value resort. The room discount amount for values are so MUCH LESS than free dining. So free dining will always be the winner.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #26
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocath View Post
I played around with that spreadsheet today and it was fun. We have loved the dining plan in the past because it was convenient and I like that my husband didn't freak out about costs. But now all three of our kids are "Disney adults" and no one drinks soda in our family. Plus last trip we were so full most of the time we had about 20 snack credits to burn on the last day. It was very helpful to see the comparisons side by side.
I used the link and tried to get to the spreadsheet, but it said that I had to login before I could access it. I couldn't find the place to login....

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
NotThatKevinSmith
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMJ441724 View Post

I used the link and tried to get to the spreadsheet, but it said that I had to login before I could access it. I couldn't find the place to login....
There is a button right in the middle of the page that says "login/signup" or something
NotThatKevinSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
BlackMagicWoman
Mouseketeer

That's a good spreadsheet. I work in Finance so I'm super anal about my trip expenses and I've been using a spreadsheet to calculate my OOP costs for the last 5 visits. We were within $20 of one another.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
TeddiBarra
Mouseketeer

Yes, you should. It's fairly easy to use. And it was pretty darn accurate (within $50 adding up my reciepts, which was for a 10 day trip with a split stay and up to 8 of us). I love that spreadsheet.

BTW, as far as "not saving money" it wasn't true for us. We did save $250 by using the DDP.
Back to Disneyworld- Nov/Dec 2014 ???

Recent trips to Disneyland:
2012: July- 1st stay @ the Grand Californian! Feb @ Paradise Pier
2013: Feb Weekend trip @ DLH, APR Mom & daughters Spring trip, Holiday Inn
Coming Up: June 18 - 22 @ PP, Aug for the Expo
TeddiBarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #30
TeddiBarra
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Use Mike's spreadsheet. You can put in each place you want to eat at for both TS and QS. Click on the 2nd tab and it will give you a breakdown of approx cost for each meal. Given that you want to do 2 TS places you will end up paying out of pocket for an extra meal but this can help you see which places are the cheapest to cover OOP.

Meal portions in general are pretty good. I never left one meal feeling like I needed to order extra *except* at Teppan Edo where I did order an appetizer. Everyplace else I was quite full (both TS and QS)
Back to Disneyworld- Nov/Dec 2014 ???

Recent trips to Disneyland:
2012: July- 1st stay @ the Grand Californian! Feb @ Paradise Pier
2013: Feb Weekend trip @ DLH, APR Mom & daughters Spring trip, Holiday Inn
Coming Up: June 18 - 22 @ PP, Aug for the Expo
TeddiBarra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: