DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]The only way to guarantee your ability to stay at your favorite resort is to own there. Most people don't really know what they really like until they try the different resorts for themselves. We bought BLT based on Disney's hype and others opinions, it's our least favorite resort, I have now learned my lesson.
That's why I encourage people to get info, delay decisions and to try to get past the hype. However, I'd far rather someone underbuy than overbuy. Better to buy less points and need more later and better to buy SSR resale than anything retail even if it ends up being totally wrong for the individual. A $10K mistake is far better than a $30K one. Same true for one looking at DVC but also wanting to do other trips. It's often better to make a mistake on a reasonable non DVC option resale than buying DVC for the reverse purpose.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
That's why I encourage people to get info, delay decisions and to try to get past the hype. However, I'd far rather someone underbuy than overbuy. Better to buy less points and need more later and better to buy SSR resale than anything retail even if it ends up being totally wrong for the individual. A $10K mistake is far better than a $30K one. Same true for one looking at DVC but also wanting to do other trips. It's often better to make a mistake on a reasonable non DVC option resale than buying DVC for the reverse purpose.
I would also suggest that a person's maximum exposure on a resale purchase is 20% of their purchase price. Even if they bought, realized they made a mistake and wanted to resell a year later, they're really only on the hook for a 10% commission, 5% closing and other fees and a possible 5% drop in price from one year to the next. And this is a conservative estimate that doesn't even place a value on the use of the points for a year.

This isn't to advocate that people jump in without doing the research, but I think it accurately reflects the risks involved with buying DVC resale.
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I would also suggest that a person's maximum exposure on a resale purchase is 20% of their purchase price. Even if they bought, realized they made a mistake and wanted to resell a year later, they're really only on the hook for a 10% commission, 5% closing and other fees and a possible 5% drop in price from one year to the next. And this is a conservative estimate that doesn't even place a value on the use of the points for a year.

This isn't to advocate that people jump in without doing the research, but I think it accurately reflects the risks involved with buying DVC resale.
Resale to resale that's likely accurate for most properties and I'm sure that's your assumption, obviously it doesn't hold for retail. It also doesn't necessarily hold for items that are more expensive or for things that are more difficult to move like VB/HH. It also assumes one got a good price up front. IMO that's a lot of exposures though, depending on variables it could easily be a waste of $2-3K. Looking at it the other way, renting for one trip and buying a year later assuming the same variables otherwise, the cost from waiting is somewhere in the $3-4 a point range for points aimed at every year usage.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #19
CPTJAK
Mouseketeer

You may want to consider off property Timeshares (i.e. Vacation Clubs), they are less expensive to purchase resale and typically have lower maintenance fees and larger rooms.

If DVC is what you have to have than buy resale and do not get any more points than you need. DVC did its customers a service by changing the rules so that its resale members do not make the mistake of using points for non DVC properties...thanks DVC.

My last thought is odd for me as you are so young that the expiration of the DVC resort may actually come into to play in your decision for the ones that expire in 29 years ( i.e. 2042)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
TosaTrio
DVC Owner @ SSR & VWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715

Can I ask when you were able to book at BCV at the 7 month mark, what time of year were you visiting?

My husband and I have been to Disney every year for the past 8 years and just recently we stayed at the BC in a standard room, which we loved! We have been discussing DVC on and off for a few years now, but BCV points are competitive and a little out of the price range. We would be happy staying at any of the DVC resorts. I am looking at buying at OKW and if we stay there great, if we get lucky and get BCV then that's just icing on the cake. At this point, we would travel during the summer months. Is BCV during the summer hard to book at 7 months out?
We have booked BCV at the 7 month mark in July, August and September. In July we booked a studio and 2 BR over 4th of July week, the other times we booked 1BRs. I do call right as member services opens on the 1st day I can book which may make a difference.

I also booked a studio a VGC this summer. When I booked again at the 7th month mark right away, all room types were available.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #21
kroy
Earning My Ears

Smile DVC Points Purchase vs. Rental Over Time

My wife and I book one week stays at Deluxe Resorts at Disney World at least once and sometimes twice a year, and are contemplating buying into the DVC via the resale market. On two occasions we stayed at DVC resorts by renting points through one of the on-line point rental companies. The first stay was in November 2009 and the second was January of this year. Both times we paid $13 per point, and I was surprised that the rental price had not increased after more than three years. Shouldn't we expect the point rental price to increase with inflation? The cost of a Disney stay by renting points would still be much cheaper than paying Disney rates, even with Disney's 20-30% special offers. If cost were the only consideration, point rental would seem to be a reasonable (somewhat more expensive) alternative to investing in the DVC.

However, on the down side, it's my impression that points rental is becoming increasingly popular as more people discover it and the Disney rack rates increase with inflation, and it is therefore becoming harder to get the desired accommodations at the time wanted by renting points. (We were on a waiting list for a couple months to get the points for the stay in January.) This figures into our decision on whether to buy into the DVC.

Our two favorite resorts are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, including the villas at both resorts. We almost invariably go during value or regular season and would usually stay in a studio. My strategy would be to purchase the least expensive points, not worrying about which resort is my home resort. The question would be whether we could reliably get the accommodations and dates we want within the 7 month reservation window.

Any insights/advice people have on the above questions would be most appreciated!
kroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

watch the resale market for both those resorts! VWL has been selling in the low 60.00's PP and AKV high 60.00's low 70.00's PP. With those prices I would for sure buy where you wanted to stay! You can also get SSR for 55 - 65 PP, OKW the same but I would buy where I wanted to stay since there is not that big of a difference in price. I would stay away from Vero and Hilton Head lower price higher maintenance fees and not a WDW resort if ultimately that is where you want to stay! good luck

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #23
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroy View Post
Our two favorite resorts are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, including the villas at both resorts. We almost invariably go during value or regular season and would usually stay in a studio. My strategy would be to purchase the least expensive points, not worrying about which resort is my home resort. The question would be whether we could reliably get the accommodations and dates we want within the 7 month reservation window.

Any insights/advice people have on the above questions would be most appreciated!
It all depnds on (1) the time of year, (2) what kind of room you want, (3) how long you want to stay, and (4) luck ...

AKV is a large resort, so you would probably be able to get something within the 7 month window most times of the year - but VWL is small, so probably not during the more "preferred" DVC times (which do not line up with the "most popular/busiest" times to visit WDW ...)

The general recommendation is to buy where you want to stay (most of the tme ...)

In addition to the intiial cost per point, you need to look long-term at the MFs and length of the contract. Considering inflation, those longer contracts (for example, AKV) could save a lot of $$ 25+ years from now ...

A little dab more research should do you ...

Good Luck!

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroy View Post
...Our two favorite resorts are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, including the villas at both resorts. We almost invariably go during value or regular season and would usually stay in a studio. My strategy would be to purchase the least expensive points, not worrying about which resort is my home resort. The question would be whether we could reliably get the accommodations and dates we want within the 7 month reservation window.

What do you consider value or regular season since neither of those are seasons for DVC booking? If you are considering Oct through Jan in that time, you could be out of luck for a reservation at less than seven months out.

AKV could be a bit easier to get since it is so large, but the value studios would be next to impossible to get at seven months or less. VWL is small, so getting that around the holidays at seven months out is difficult.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #25
Dolf
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE="chalee94"]
resale pts ARE still valid for trading out through RCI and a few other options (like intrawest). not a great value, as mentioned above. but it is an option./QUOTE]

I was able to deposit 120 points into RCI and exchange for a 1 week stay in a nice studio in a Shells Vacation in Ontario, Canada. We went there for my honeymoon. There was a $95 booking fee, and it was not easy to get, but I wouldn't overlook RCI as "not a great value". Maybe it's safe to say "not as good a value as staying at a DVC Resort". Regardless, when you're wife says I don't want to go to WDW for our honeymoon, you have options.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
Meggysmum
Mouseketeer

I would say that Resale is the best way to go but buy where you would be happy to stay. We bought our first contract for BLT direct at $112pp just over two years ago but with the enormous price hikes I wouldn't consider direct again.

We own 2 contracts at BLT and hopefully (if the ROFR monster doesn't get us) SSR soon. I love both resorts for different reasons and would happily stay at either. SSR is relatively easy to book at any time if the year and the 11month advantage isn't as important as it is at BLT.

If you want to stay at BW or BC around the time of the F&W you really need to use the 11month window or you are likely to be disappointed if you want more than an odd day or two. We managed to get a standard view studio for early September at 7months at BW but I think we were lucky to get that lowpoint room.

I would never borrow money for any sort of holiday and that includes buying in to something like DVC. My dad taught me to make sure I wa never in debt if I could help it and it's a rule I live by. I would recommend saving and buying a smallish contract outright and see if it suits, if you like it you can add-on when you can afford it.
Meggysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
WDGPCFR
WDGPCFR

When I first saw the DVC booths I thought this is for us. The more I looked at it though the less I thought it was a good deal. We live in New York and would at best go to Disney every three years. When you factor in the initial cost and the maintenance fees it is a lot of money. The other thing with me is I like a different hotel each time I go.

I keep looking at the forums and think that just renting someone elses points when you want to go is the best deal. I just priced a trip to AKV for the price of POP with the current promotion.
WDGPCFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
I was able to deposit 120 points into RCI and exchange for a 1 week stay in a nice studio in a Shells Vacation in Ontario, Canada. We went there for my honeymoon. There was a $95 booking fee, and it was not easy to get, but I wouldn't overlook RCI as "not a great value". Maybe it's safe to say "not as good a value as staying at a DVC Resort". Regardless, when you're wife says I don't want to go to WDW for our honeymoon, you have options.
it all depends on your comparison, i suppose.

i could probably get a similar trade with my $1 timeshare (compared to over $7,000 for a 120 pt DVC contract) where i pay less than $350 in annual dues (compared to over $600 for DVC dues). what dean and bnoble will tell you is: if you are planning to trade out of the DVC system on a regular basis, there are much cheaper timeshares to buy for trading purposes.

there are a handful of trades where i think you can get good value for DVC trades (typically higher end resorts like hilton, or more expensive resorts such as some of those in hawaii)...but sure, if you already own DVC, it's nice to have options even if they aren't always a great value.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDGPCFR View Post
I keep looking at the forums and think that just renting someone elses points when you want to go is the best deal. I just priced a trip to AKV for the price of POP with the current promotion.
if you are not an every-year disney person and don't want the long-term commitment, i agree that renting is a better option.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
it all depends on your comparison, i suppose.

i could probably get a similar trade with my $1 timeshare (compared to over $7,000 for a 120 pt DVC contract) where i pay less than $350 in annual dues (compared to over $600 for DVC dues). what dean and bnoble will tell you is: if you are planning to trade out of the DVC system on a regular basis, there are much cheaper timeshares to buy for trading purposes.
Adding to the point, those with a $1 timeshare and a separate membership with RCI may have booked the summer studio near Ontario as a rental week. Carriage Hills currently has over 900 weeks on deposit with RCI including many rentals starting at just $180 for the entire week. High summer was sitting out for just $306, cash rental, no exchange required:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCI
Studio 2 (2) No Kitchen Fri 28-Jun-2013 Fri 05-Jul-2013 Exchange Fee -OR- USD 305.99 13
The other Shell property nearby, Carriage Ridge, has 44 check-in nights offered with most showing either exchange or rental options.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: