Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Transportation to Deluxe Restaurants when Staying at Moderates

I wasn't exactly sure where I should post this but... We have always stayed at deluxe resorts but are considering staying at a moderate for part of this trip. Now my question is we tend to have a TS breakfast some morning at Deluxe resorts and some dinners there as well. We love the transportation options at deluxe resorts (most monorail) as it makes it easy to get from resort to resort but has anyone found it difficult/ had a problem eating at deluxe resorts for breakfast/dinner when staying at a moderate?! Thanks!

gabzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

It can be a bit of a pain making all of the transportation changes, but leave yourself plenty of time and you will be fine. Now that I reread your question, I don't think that is what you are asking at all, is it?
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

When we stayed at the AoA last year, we got a cheap rental car. It was about $200 for the whole week. Parking is free everywhere, and it made it really easy to get to our dining reservations at the resorts. I'm too impatient to wait for a bus to a TTC to then get the monorail over to the resort, or worse, bus to DTD then another bus to the Epcot resorts.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12 View Post
It can be a bit of a pain making all of the transportation changes, but leave yourself plenty of time and you will be fine. Now that I reread your question, I don't think that is what you are asking at all, is it?
I was trying to get peoples opinion as to whether or not they find themselves eating at deluxe resorts when staying at moderates or if it is too much of a hassle for them.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabzee View Post
I was trying to get peoples opinion as to whether or not they find themselves eating at deluxe resorts when staying at moderates or if it is too much of a hassle for them.
Oops - we definitely wanted to eat at the deluxe restaurants, but had we not rented a car, we probably would not have done it. Too much hassle!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't exactly sure where I should post this but... We have always stayed at deluxe resorts but are considering staying at a moderate for part of this trip. Now my question is we tend to have a TS breakfast some morning at Deluxe resorts and some dinners there as well. We love the transportation options at deluxe resorts (most monorail) as it makes it easy to get from resort to resort but has anyone found it difficult/ had a problem eating at deluxe resorts for breakfast/dinner when staying at a moderate?! Thanks!
It will definitely increase your travel time to get from a moderate to a deluxe, since you have to take a bus to one of the parks first. For the monorail resorts, you could take the bus to MK then the monorail to the resort. To the Epcot resots you could take the bus to HS then the boat to the resort you want. For WL take the bus to MK then the bus or boat to WL.

At night it is easier. Just plan to be at the park closest to the resort that you plan to eat at.

Even though the WL is a close boat ride to the Contemporary for a monorail ride to the Poly and GF, we found that it really added a lot of travel time to our dinner reservations. We don't plan to do that again.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Shaden
DIS Veteran

We stayed at CSR last year and ate at several of the Deluxes. We had no problem though with Transportation. You have quite a few options, Bus to DTD or a Park then another to the Deluxe ... this worked well going to AKL ... took a bus to AK, then another very short one to AKL for Sanaa/Jiko

For Monorail resorts, just take a bus to the MK and hop on the monorail instead of going in the park, its actually super quick. Or take the bus to Epcot and walk to the Epcot resorts....

It all really depends on what you prefer, but its really not a hassel or much effort.

Hope you enjoy !!!
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
tracey1302
Planning Florida 2014!

We never found this a problem at all when we stayed at CBR. And CBR is notorious for bad buses apparently (although we never experienced this).

For reservations at the GF (Narcoossee's & Citricos), we just got the bus to MK and then often got the boat over cause it added to the specialness of the evening Besides, GF looks so beautiful from the water. (See my TR) If we were running a bit late, we got the monorail.

And for the Derby, obviously, we just got the bus to Hollywood Studios.

Yes it does add to your travel time (we usually left an hour) but it's all part of the excitement for us, knowing that we would be eating somewhere amazing

The Bagley/Mollet family trip - 19 May-2 June 2011 - Complete Trip Report

Furiously budgeting for my DFTW!

I hope we never lose sight of one thing. That it was all started by a mouse. - Walt Disney
tracey1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden
We stayed at CSR last year and ate at several of the Deluxes. We had no problem though with Transportation......

For Monorail resorts, just take a bus to the MK and hop on the monorail instead of going in the park, its actually super quick. Or take the bus to Epcot and walk to the Epcot resorts....

It all really depends on what you prefer, but its really not a hassel or much effort.

Hope you enjoy !!!
I agree. You can also take a bus to HS and a boat over to some. You will need to give yourself a little more than an hour to get there. Last year we stayed at POFQ and ate at, Cape May, Spirit of Aloha, and 1900 Park fare for dinner and Chef Mickeys for breakfast. We used a variety of transportation. Most are fun.

Last edited by geraghty; 03-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.
geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Thank you all! I'm feeling a lot better about the possibility.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
When we stayed at the AoA last year, we got a cheap rental car. It was about $200 for the whole week. Parking is free everywhere, and it made it really easy to get to our dining reservations at the resorts. I'm too impatient to wait for a bus to a TTC to then get the monorail over to the resort, or worse, bus to DTD then another bus to the Epcot resorts.
Not sure why you thought either one of these things would be an issue with mod to deluxe resort transportation. There are no resort buses that require you to transfer at the TTC. And you should never need to go to DTD in order to get to an Epcot resort. Just take the bus to the park closest to your destination resort and transfer to whatever transportation (bus, boat, monorail) that will get you to the resort.

OP, with regards to breakfast ADRs- while Disney transportation is possible in the mornings, we tend to opt for a taxi. This means we don't have to leave as early, or worry about missing a bus. Returning to your resort after a late dinner can be problematic if the parks have closed because you would need to transfer in DTD. We think this is such a pain in the neck that we again will usually opt to take a taxi back- we just budget for it when doing our planning. We NEVER take our car for resort dinners, since we know we will be enjoying a beverage or 2.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
I didn't have a problem. However I try to plan breakfast at other resorts for mornings when I don't have a early park day planned. I plan on lunches and dinners for early morning park days and just grab a bagel or protein bar on the run to hold me over for the bigger meal later. I've only had one deluxe stay but have eaten at them on my value and mod stays. No problem. It's just a matter of planning.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Not sure why you thought either one of these things would be an issue with mod to deluxe resort transportation. There are no resort buses that require you to transfer at the TTC. And you should never need to go to DTD in order to get to an Epcot resort. Just take the bus to the park closest to your destination resort and transfer to whatever transportation (bus, boat, monorail) that will get you to the resort.
I'll help you understand, then! There are no buses directly from mods or values or even from a deluxe to a deluxe resort. So to eat at O'Hana from CSR for example, you would need to take a bus to either a park or to DTD and then transfer to other transportation to get to the other resort. Traveling from the Epcot resorts to the Monorail resorts is usually a DTD adventure for most folks. In my opinion, the multiple transfer is a pain in the butt and I'd not do it. Which is why we rent a car or take a taxi instead.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
I agree. You can also take a bus to HS and a boat over to some. You will need to give yourself a little more than an hour to get there. Last year we stayed at POFQ and ate at, Cape May, Spirit of Aloha, and 1900 Park fare for dinner and Chef Mickeys for breakfast. We used a variety of transportation. Most are fun.
Very true, about the boat.

I know with Buses and Monorail/walking from CSR you don't even need an hour. At least we didn't, we needed about 30 mins to get to Ohana/Poly or AKL/Sanaa

For us, saving several hundred dollars a day, and "having" to take a bus is worth it. Plus, we like exploring/walking ... really don't understand people who think its too much of a hassel, "first world problems" comes to mind.

But hey, to each their own. I am sure you are going to love your trip, I know for sure CSR is awesome and we are excited about POR this year !
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Sue M
DIS Veteran

For me, I wouldn't do breakfast ADRs while staying at a mod. Dinner would be no problem, cause I'd schedule my dinner ADR at or near the park I plan to be in that afternoon.
I just don't want to get up that early for breakfast ADRs. Disney vacations can be exhausting enough without sleep deprivation
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: