Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
mastermind307
Mouseketeer

If we leave our stuff with Bell Services, can we pick up are bags and take them to our room? Or do we have to wait for them to bring the bags to our room?
Also, what about eletronic stuff like ipads and laptops, how secure is Bell Services? I know people probably leave stuff like that with them all the time. Has anybody had any problems?
Sorry for so many questions. I've never used bell services or anything like that. So I'm just trying to understand how it works. Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

DS and I had already checked in at BWV, our luggage had already been brought by ME. A little while later DDIL arrived, she had been visiting a friend and met us there. She had her bags, water, beer and some food. We asked if we could use a cart and they told us "they were a full service resort" and we could not. I explained we wanted this brought up NOW. We didn't want to waste time waiting around in the room for them. You have to be in your room if you store anything. They did have someone bring everything up right then!

As for having problems with storing things. We have never had any. You can tell them you have laptops and they will lock them up. They even have a refrigerated area if you have to store food.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind307 View Post
If we leave our stuff with Bell Services, can we pick up are bags and take them to our room?
We've done that one time too. And though they never said anything, I felt like I was being judged. We still gave them a tip for loading everything back up in the car.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
They won't deliver to an unoccupied room simply because they hope to be tipped. These CMs pretty much live off those tips. When using DME, tips are already included, so they will deliver to an empty room.

Ah, but you borrowed a cart from Luggage Assistance! Not the same as Bell Services. The deluxe resorts have Bell Services...everyone else has Luggage Assistance. With LA, you will get your bags but it can take quite awhile....especially at the value resorts. They wait until they have a sizable amount of luggage to take out, and then go. They don't get a call from a guest and immediately go get the bags and deliver them. With BS, you get almost immediate service. I have never waited longer than 15 mins for my bags to get to me.
At the deluxe and DVC resorts? I doubt that Bell Services is going to let you use their luggage carts. I have never, ever seen a guest with one..unless they were accompanying the CM who was bringing the bags to the room.
I have used one at Pop...but I had to leave my license with them, as well as my room number so they could access my account if needed. I took the cart, loaded it up (had an Owners Locker that was very heavy) and took it to the counter to have it checked and the OL taken back. Then, they gave my license back.
Does the Tag Fairy ever visit way over here?
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #20
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
We will be driving down in June and will be staying at BWV. Are there luggage carts we can use to take our bags to our room? I know they have bell services, but I'd rather do it myself. It could be a long walk to our room and a case of water could get heavy so if we're allowed to use the carts it would make it much easier.
We have used the carts at the Values, but had to leave a driver's license. At the moderates and deluxes, we've always been told no. I just assumed it was because they wanted their tip, but even at the Values we always tipped the guy we returned the cart to, so they still got the tip.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee

We have used the carts at the Values, but had to leave a driver's license. At the moderates and deluxes, we've always been told no. I just assumed it was because they wanted their tip, but even at the Values we always tipped the guy we returned the cart to, so they still got the tip.
We have been asked to show a license the last year or so but they haven't kept it. The manager told us this because they only want someone aged 18 or older taking carts for liability reasons. That is OUR experience. We stay at POP. I'm getting ready to check into POP for my 14th stay (I think...I have over 90 days there) on Sunday.
We still see adults though that have borrowed carts and as soon as they are out of sight of Bell services/Luggage Assistance, they let their kids 'ride' back to the room on the cart! UGH! And then people wonder why the resorts don't want to loan them out?? SMH...
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Does the Tag Fairy ever visit way over here?
Dang!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
DS and I had already checked in at BWV, our luggage had already been brought by ME. A little while later DDIL arrived, she had been visiting a friend and met us there. She had her bags, water, beer and some food. We asked if we could use a cart and they told us "they were a full service resort" and we could not. I explained we wanted this brought up NOW. We didn't want to waste time waiting around in the room for them. You have to be in your room if you store anything. They did have someone bring everything up right then!.

As for having problems with storing things. We have never had any. You can tell them you have laptops and they will lock them up. They even have a refrigerated area if you have to store food.
I feel bad for those people waiting in their rooms who were waiting their turn.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #24
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I feel bad for those people waiting in their rooms who were waiting their turn.
Me too. I don't ever remember waiting more than 10, 15 minutes tops for our luggage to be brought up. I think some folks have a really wrong impression of how long the "wait" is. Bell Services does a good job.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Well, for me it was two strikes and you're out.

I know my two waits were an hour.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

The wait depends on a lot of factors. Peak time requires more planning.
When I have waited until the last minute to call for baggage pick up, I have had the long wait. It is first come, first serve. Call ahead of time and tell them when you will be ready. And you do have to be in the room - that's just the rules for the bell services protection from theft accusations.

The bell services at most resorts are not "official" cast members. The service is contracted out at many of the resorts to an outside company.

Most bell services let you borrow a cart, but it is considered a bit tacky. Can I go to your job and borrow the tools you use to make a living? If it's not busy, sure, but if it's busy...

Also remember that those carts cost over $1000 each. Hard to believe, but I have had to buy them.
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/

Last edited by dvcHammer; 03-15-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #27
mastermind307
Mouseketeer

I guess we might have to use bell services on this trip. It seems like it would be more convenient than trying to do it ourselves. So let me see if I have this correct.

When we arrive we can pull up to the front and bell services will come unload our bags. Then we will need to tip that person. I've heard $1-$2 a bag, is that right?
If our room is ready another person will follow us to our room. Or do we have to go to our room and call for the bags to be delivered? We'll tip the person who brings our bags.
If our room isn't ready, bell services will hold our bags. They will lock up any computers and store anything that needs to refriderated in a fridge. Once our room is ready we call and they will deliver our bags to our room. At which time we'll tip that person. We have to be present in the room for them bring our bags. Can we call ahead of time and ask the bags to be delivered at a certain time when we know we'll be in the room?

Thanks for all the help. It eases my mind if I know what to expect when we arrive.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
I guess we might have to use bell services on this trip. It seems like it would be more convenient than trying to do it ourselves. So let me see if I have this correct.

When we arrive we can pull up to the front and bell services will come unload our bags. Then we will need to tip that person. I've heard $1-$2 a bag, is that right?
If our room is ready another person will follow us to our room. Or do we have to go to our room and call for the bags to be delivered? We'll tip the person who brings our bags.
If our room isn't ready, bell services will hold our bags. They will lock up any computers and store anything that needs to refriderated in a fridge. Once our room is ready we call and they will deliver our bags to our room. At which time we'll tip that person. We have to be present in the room for them bring our bags. Can we call ahead of time and ask the bags to be delivered at a certain time when we know we'll be in the room?

Thanks for all the help. It eases my mind if I know what to expect when we arrive.
Option 1: Pull-up to port cochere and let bellman take everything then go check-in. We always keep valuables in our trunk until our room is ready, then we hand-carry those later. We tip $1 a bag at this point. If room is ready, go back to bell service with claim ticket and they will either follow you to your room if their not busy or they will deliver. Delivery = another $1 per bag, but obviously this is up to you. This method is easiest and most tip intensive.

Option 2: Park car and go check-in. If room is ready go back to car and drive to port cochere and have bellman take bags up to your room and only tip in room. If room isn't ready, leave everything in the car and lock valuables in trunk. This method avoids the "storage" tipping.

Option 3: Drive up to port cochere, someone checks in while someone waits in car away from door. If room is ready, unpack car and leave one person to sit with everything. Driver parks car and meets person waiting with luggage. You'll need at least 2 people for this, 3 is better. One person sits with everything while others start schlepping everything by hand to the room themselves or you all hand-carry everything at once, if that's possible.

ETA: You cannot pre-arrange delivery of your luggage to your room. They don't have the ability to schedule deliveries so it's delivered only on an on-call basis, unless you're using DME.

Last edited by WDWKOOK; 03-16-2013 at 09:58 AM.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #29
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcghee2024 View Post
Normally, we like to do things ourselves as well. But at Disney, it's just not really possible with the size of the resorts and rules. I agree just let bell services do it for you.
Another vote for Bell Services . It's your vacation, Why hassle with luggage?
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: