Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #436
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

Thank you. I'm totally out of shape , my knees are not my friend , and we are going in August , but this is something that I will strive to do.

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #437
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow

You are an inspiration! Good for you for not giving up. Good luck and enjoy!
Aw! Thanks for saying that! I did day 2 of my training today. It was a little harder but I forgot to take a hit on my inhaler before starting so that may be why. I teach pre-k children so I am somewhat active throughout the day. I'm sure that helps. Most surprising to me is that I'm not terribly sore so far. Well, that and that the metal in my leg isn't causing any issues. Anyway, even if I don't make it as a runner, I can say I tried and reap the benefits of the added exercise.

I sure hope they still have tee shirts when we are there in May. I want one of those even if I end up mostly walking the course.
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #438
Lake_Mary
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix

Aw! Thanks for saying that! I did day 2 of my training today. It was a little harder but I forgot to take a hit on my inhaler before starting so that may be why. I teach pre-k children so I am somewhat active throughout the day. I'm sure that helps. Most surprising to me is that I'm not terribly sore so far. Well, that and that the metal in my leg isn't causing any issues. Anyway, even if I don't make it as a runner, I can say I tried and reap the benefits of the added exercise.

I sure hope they still have tee shirts when we are there in May. I want one of those even if I end up mostly walking the course.
I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma as well, used advair 2x/day and albuterol when it was well controlled. Been taking a break from training, I only do easy runs now and without meds I have to stop every 3-5 min and walk 30 sec to get my air. Very disappointing since I ran an entire half before.

I picked up a cc5k shirt when I was there last Friday.. Plenty left even at the end of the day!

2/11/12 Magic Eastern, Pirates IN the Caribbean Cruisers

Fantasy booked! 3/2/2013 Sailing away on the Western Itinerary
Lake_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #439
UncleLarry
Mouseketeer

knee pain

We are sailing on the Fantasy on May 18 and I have been trying to get ready/into shape to RUN the 5K when we get to Castaway Cay. I have been exercising since December and every time I try to run, knee pain starts. When it starts, I go back to the bikes and ellipticals for awhile and then try running again. Any runners out there in there 40's who have had the same problem?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #440
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The mainstream advice would be to go see a PT or orthopedist and see what they say.

For me, I'd take my knees to my chiropractor who knows how to manipulate "extremities" (not all do, which is fine since it's not a spine, but mine does) and have him check them out. When I was a teen my mom's chiro did some sort of manipulation on my legs and obliterated my shin splints from that day forward. My current chiro can tell just from seeing me come in when I'm having knee weirdness and checks them out for me. He's keeping my knees healthy! That's what I would do.

And for me, if that didn't help after multiple attempts, I'd go see someone else and have them evaluated in other ways.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #441
Blondie1973
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleLarry View Post
We are sailing on the Fantasy on May 18 and I have been trying to get ready/into shape to RUN the 5K when we get to Castaway Cay. I have been exercising since December and every time I try to run, knee pain starts. When it starts, I go back to the bikes and ellipticals for awhile and then try running again. Any runners out there in there 40's who have had the same problem?
This may seem silly but have you checked your shoes? Maybe you need a new pair or a different brand? I know when I put too many miles on my shoes, my knees start to scream and my plantar francitiis acts up.
Blondie1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #442
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleLarry
My knees actually hurt when I'm not running, and feel great while I run! Weird. Either way, knee pain is not good. I hope you figure it out.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #443
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I'm joining in here as I plan on running the 5k on our May Dream sailing.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #444
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

joining in. We are going in Oct and plan on running/walking the 5k

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #445
Grooovertoo
DIS Dad #572

Quote:
Yes, I would check your shoes. I tried the limited way last summer (the shoes with very little sole or shock padding) and it about killed my knees, since then I did a lot of research and upgraded my shoes and I'm loving running again.

C25k has really helped too.

Best of luck to everyone!
DisDAD Member #572 Dave Darla & Dana (9)

Grooovertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #446
NC State
DIS Veteran

I had the same problem. I changed shoes and started taking Osteo Bi-Flex Advanced Triple Strength. I can tell a big difference now. I'm 48 and I have only been running for a year now. I did three 5Ks last year and my goal this year is four. With a change of diet and running I have lost 46 lbs.

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #447
UncleLarry
Mouseketeer

I have changed shoes. No difference. We live in Upstate NY so any running in the winter is done indoors. The local YMCA has an indoor track and it is very small, so you are always turning, so I think that might have added to issue. That and I am a big fellow, 6'3" 250lbs and dropping. I am now running on the treadmill and not having to turn every 5 steps. My knees feel different, still a little pain, but more of a tightness and not a sensation of my knee caps swimming around.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to pills if the pain worsens.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #448
dad4dis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have changed shoes. No difference. We live in Upstate NY so any running in the winter is done indoors. The local YMCA has an indoor track and it is very small, so you are always turning, so I think that might have added to issue. That and I am a big fellow, 6'3" 250lbs and dropping. I am now running on the treadmill and not having to turn every 5 steps. My knees feel different, still a little pain, but more of a tightness and not a sensation of my knee caps swimming around.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to pills if the pain worsens.
When I ran the 5k last month there were people running, walking, and a combo of the two. Just have fun and don't hurt yourself. Remember it's a "fun run" not a race.
dad4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #449
obrien622
Mouseketeer

Reading this thread there are a variety of experiences. Can someone provide a recent account for the CC5K on the Fantasy? Did you have the bibs, medals and tshirts for purchase at the shops?
obrien622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #450
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Sailing on the April 7th Dream cruise and can't wait to run this. I've run one race in every Disney race weekend since 2011 and can't wait to add this one to the list!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: