Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Please Help Me Compare Universal Rides to Disney Rides

My youngest son (going to be 5) has autism and until our September 2012 trip to WDW would never consider any type of ride at all (even the little kid rides at Chuck E. Cheese). He went on some rides in September and December and loved them. Next fall, we plan on adding 2 days at Universal but I can't tell what the rides are like. I really really don't want to take him on something that he ends up hating and then never stepping foot on any ride again (which would be just like him - he has intense anxiety).

At Disney he loved It's a Small World, The Nemo Ride (I forget it's real name), Winnie the Pooh, the Ariel Ride in New Fantasyland, Toy Story Mania, Dumbo, Teacups, and the carosel. He was okay with Peter Pan, but it made him nervous. Also, for some reason he would not do any of the theater attractions like Muppets, or Philharmagic. They terrified him immediately and he had to leave.

My 13 year old son is also autistic and afraid of roller coasters and anything that "feels" like a roller coaster. (He wasn't crazy about Star Tours).

My daughters are all thrill ride enthusiasts. They love them all! But I'm not crazy about the 6 year old going on too "big" or "scary" of rides. Also, she didn't like the drop on Splash Mountain at all but she loved Barnstormer and Star Tours.

So, if you Universal Experts wouldn't mind giving me a little help! Can you compare these rides to a Disney Ride (I know they won't be just like it of course, but something sort of like...)

The Cat in The Hat
ET Adventure
One Fish, Two Fish...
Men in Black
Despicable Me
Woody Woodpecker
Storm Force Acceleration
The Simpsons
Flight of the Hippogriff
Spiderman
Dudley Do-Right's Ripshaw Falls

Any other's you can think of...Thank you so much for your input!!
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

The Cat in The Hat- Snow White/Winnie the Pooh. It spins at some points.
ET Adventure- Peter Pan
One Fish, Two Fish...- Dumbo/Magic Carpets
Men in Black- Buzz Lightyear
Despicable Me- It's a mix of simulator and theater (you can see other people in their vehicles). Can't think of a Disney comparison.
Woody Woodpecker- Barnstormer
Storm Force Acceleration- TeaCups
The Simpsons- Star Tours/Soarin' (huge screen and simulator vehicle)
Flight of the Hippogriff- Barnstormer
Spiderman- Difficult to compare... Kind of like Dinosaur, except less bumpy and more screens.
Dudley Do-Right's Ripshaw Falls- Splash Mountain with a bigger drop

Do you want a comparison of all the rides, or just those? I can do all of Universal's rides.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine View Post
The Cat in The Hat- Snow White/Winnie the Pooh. It spins at some points.
ET Adventure- Peter Pan
One Fish, Two Fish...- Dumbo/Magic Carpets
Men in Black- Buzz Lightyear
Despicable Me- It's a mix of simulator and theater (you can see other people in their vehicles). Can't think of a Disney comparison.
Woody Woodpecker- Barnstormer
Storm Force Acceleration- TeaCups
The Simpsons- Star Tours/Soarin' (huge screen and simulator vehicle)
Flight of the Hippogriff- Barnstormer
Spiderman- Difficult to compare... Kind of like Dinosaur, except less bumpy and more screens.
Dudley Do-Right's Ripshaw Falls- Splash Mountain with a bigger drop

Do you want a comparison of all the rides, or just those? I can do all of Universal's rides.
Thank you so much! All of the rides would be great if it isn't too much trouble. Again, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

OP when you say you're going to add on two days @ Universal, do you mean staying onsite or would you stay in same resort (disney) the whole trip?

Either way, jik you decide U isn't the best option for everybody & you have another adult in your party...have you considered splitting up for the day/two and regrouping at the end of the day? The more adventurous group could visit Universal while the others enjoy more low-key activities such as: pool, movie, mini golf, Sea World or more days in disney (or disney quest, charactar meal, waterpark) to re-explore the activities that you know were enjoyable for them during the week.

You know your kids best, good luck

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Thank you so much! All of the rides would be great if it isn't too much trouble. Again, I really appreciate it.
Not a problem Some are kind of hard to compare to Disney rides, so I'll give descriptions.

Hulk, Dragon Challenge, and Rip Ride Rockit are all big outdoor coasters. Hulk and Dragon Challenge have inversions, while RRR does not. Disney World's only inverting coaster is Rock N' Roller Coaster, but I'd say these are more intense.

IOA:
Dr. Doom- Outdoor Tower of Terror, except you are launched initially instead of dropped
Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges- Kali River Rapids
Pteranadon Flyers- Can't think of anything at Disney like this. You're sitting in a hanging chair and it moves along a track high off the ground.
Juassic Park River Adventure- slow moving boat ride that ends in a drop larger than Splash Mountain.
Discovery Center- interactive area, like The Seas with Nemo and Innoventions
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey- ride vehicle from Sum of all Thrills, with elements of Soarin' and Dinosaur (combo of screens and animatronics, some scary things pop out)
Poseidon's Fury- It's a walkthrough/show. Hard to compare. It's dark though with a lot of special effects.
8th Voyage of Sinbad- It's a stunt show, in the same vein as Indiana Jones, kind of. No audience participation.
High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride- elevated train ride.
Caro-Seuss-el- Carousel.

USF:
Shrek 4-D- Philharmagic/Muppets/Captain EO
Twister- tough to compare... it reenacts a scene and creates a tornado in front of you. Loud, with blasts of fire and lightning.
Revenge of the Mummy- Space Mountain/Rock N' Roller Coaster... indoor part dark ride, part roller coaster. You are launched into the coaster part.
Disaster!- part walk-through show, then a simulated tram ride that culminates in a "disaster".
Terminator- A mix of 3-D movie (Philharmagic, Muppets...) with live actors.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges- Kali River Rapids
But way, WAY, wetter. Might as well just take a shower in your clothes then get in a full bathtub. I love the Barges, but as Stacey at WDW says "you're gonna get wet!!!!!"

Poseidon scared the heck out of my son. He won't go near it.

I won't go near Pteranadon Flyers. It scares the heck out of me. I dislike the big coasters at Universal (but go on them with my son), but I would ride any of them many times in a row rather than go on the Flyers again. (all moot now b/c I think DS has outgrown it which means we can't go on it thanks to its weird height restrictions, woo!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
braddillman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
But way, WAY, wetter. Might as well just take a shower in your clothes then get in a full bathtub. I love the Barges, but as Stacey at WDW says "you're gonna get wet!!!!!"
Yeah, I love getting on the barge with someone who asks "Am I going to get wet?" They have NOOOOOO idea.
Nov 1999 - Wyndham on I-drive - MK... Oct 2001 - The Fountains - USF/IoA... Sep 2005 - The Fountains - USF/IoA... Apr 2008 - The Fountains - WDW... Feb 2011 - The Fountains - USF/IoA/SW/Aquatica... Dec 2013 - The Fountains - USF/IoA/EPCoT (1st drive)
me DW DD15 DD12 DS 11
braddillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddillman View Post
Yeah, I love getting on the barge with someone who asks "Am I going to get wet?" They have NOOOOOO idea.
And they obviously haven't been paying attention to the people leaving the area.

We took a great picture in Jurassic park after going on the Barges, and my clothes look normal (if a bit clingy) until you notice the spot on my shirt that looks odd....that ONE spot is dry, the rest of me is drenched!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
braddillman
Mouseketeer

I've lost count how many times I rode a barge in the last 10 years, but I did see one person once who got just a little wet not drenched. But it's that rare.
Nov 1999 - Wyndham on I-drive - MK... Oct 2001 - The Fountains - USF/IoA... Sep 2005 - The Fountains - USF/IoA... Apr 2008 - The Fountains - WDW... Feb 2011 - The Fountains - USF/IoA/SW/Aquatica... Dec 2013 - The Fountains - USF/IoA/EPCoT (1st drive)
me DW DD15 DD12 DS 11
braddillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Popeye is one ride where it's an especially good idea to keep your mouth shut.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the helpful info! I'm so excited now.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Here's a little pointer...

If you are on One Fish, Two Fish and don't want to get wet, follow the song and you'll stay dry...if you don't........
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

For Despicable Me, you might wanna consider requesting seating in the stationary rows, takes some of the edge off of the experience. I'd compare it to Star Tours, with a better "kid" oriented Pre -Ride show.

My 15 year old is also Autistic, and just recently has started riding the extreme rides, coasters and all. His sisters are gonna be so excited to make the family trip this December with him!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: