Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

Am I the only who who didnt LOVE.....

Am i the only one who doesnt love Ohana's. we went there for the first time last week and I dont know if we would go back.

am I alone here?
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
Am i the only one who doesnt love Ohana's. we went there for the first time last week and I dont know if we would go back.

am I alone here?
we went for Breakfast and it isnt on our to do list again.. we may try it for dinner sometime but def not for breakfast.

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
MEK
DIS Veteran

The last time we went (three years ago) I was done with it. It just takes so long to get seated and the pace of the meal is annoying. I really wanted shrimp, but by that time that rolls around you don't even want it anymore. I like the apps better than the actual meat.

Anyway - definitely not on my must-do list. I'd rather go to Kona.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
princessap
DIS Veteran

I was super excited to get an ADR there on arrival night and overall I wasnt impressed. next time will have to try 1900 park fare I think
Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
The last time we went (three years ago) I was done with it. It just takes so long to get seated and the pace of the meal is annoying. I really wanted shrimp, but by that time that rolls around you don't even want it anymore. I like the apps better than the actual meat.

Anyway - definitely not on my must-do list. I'd rather go to Kona.
Maybe we will do kona next time!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

You're not alone. I can see how this style and quality of food would appeal to many, but it is far from what I am looking for when I go out for dinner.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I was super excited to get an ADR there on arrival night and overall I wasnt impressed. next time will have to try 1900 park fare I think
we love 1900 !!!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I've been there twice and loved it both times (short wait, great food and service).

But others, whose reviews I trust (and who appear to have similar tastes), have had negative experiences.

This leads me to believe the restaurant is inconsistent.

I'd like to think that one can overcome this inconsistency with an earlier ADR. We had an early ADR both times and I've noticed a majority of the bad reviews come from folks with later ADRs.

But I've recently read some bad reviews from folks with early ADRs (including from reviewers mentined above).

So now I'm thinking the inconsistency is just the luck of the draw and I've been fortunate to have been lucky both times.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

I thought it was good for the kids for breakfast, especially as it was the morning we were leaving for a DCL cruise.

For me, it was just o.k. We ate dinner at Kona Cafe and preferred the food there much more.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
hawkeyesparks
Mouseketeer

I guess I've eaten about everywhere in WDW and, i have a few that I go to every time, it's as much a part of the traditions of our family as what rides we ride first. And ohanas is where we eat the first day we're at MK. It wouldn't be the same if we skipped it.
2011: Boardwalk Villas
2013: Boardwalk Villas
2014: WL
hawkeyesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I don't enjoy that type of meal for dinner and I find the character breakfast to be one of the most disappointing.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Oh, yes, a search here will yield lots of negative reviews. Though it is a must do for my family, I admit it has been hit and miss at times. Good service, well-timed food and well-cooked meat are important to a good time there and, usually, they hit only 2 out of 3 of those criteria.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

We didn't care for it either. I got a much coveted ADR for our arrival evening last September. The lobby was a zoo. Angry people yelling at the CM's at the desk, kids running and screaming, and a group clustered around the television yelling at some sporting event. But we figured it was a hot spot so we patiently waited for our table.

We were seated right along the "racetrack", so we got treated to TWO parades of screaming crying kids and their pushy parents all of which constantly bumped into us.

The food was terrible. For starters I did not care for the marinade they used on the meats. I don't enjoy sweet with my savory. The bread (coconut? Pineapple??) was mediocre. the broccoli was just...broccoli. The noodles were gummy and cold. The potstsickers were hard and flavorless (and I love potstickers), but these seemed to be the frozen ones from the grocery store. The meats were all rubbery/chewy. And the dessert was bland.

On the plus side, service was stellar.

I'm glad we gave it a shot, but it's definitely off our list until some MAJOR changes happen (which won't, given it's current popularity).
Old 03-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

We have eaten there twice, mainly because I love the Bread pudding, but now that I finally made it to Ragland Road and there Gers Bread Pudding is too die for. ( and I love there Entrees) I will not go back to Ohana's.
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Fratthouse
Mouseketeer

I didn't hate it as much as some of the previous posters did, but it wasn't my favorite - and certainly not worth all the hype behind it. Our res was for around 5:30, we arrived right on time, and still had to wait 30 minutes to be seated. The lobby was crowded and there was no place for us to even sit and wait. We had a one-year-old with us, which only added to the chaos.

When we were finally seated, the food and service were good, but like others have mentioned, they brought out everything practically at once! There was no room to even put all of the food on the table! This wasn't a huge issue for me, because I just casually ate my food at my own pace and didn't allow anything to make me feel rushed, but I kind of don't like feeling like I'm being crowded out of my table!

To be honest, we enjoyed our meal at Kona much better. It was much more peaceful and relaxing, and the food was better IMO. I know a lot of people love this place, so to each their own. For us, when we dine outside of the parks, we are looking for something peaceful and relaxing to recover from our high energy days of park touring. This probably isn't the place to go for that!

Grand Floridian 2009
Contemporary 2010
Poly 2012
Contemporary 2013 CL
Animal Kingdom Villas 2013

Fratthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: