Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Touring Resorts At Christmas?

If we go to WDW the last week of December, 2013 (yes, it's insane, I know, but it's the only time DH and I can be off work at the same time), and stay offsite (it would be much cheaper), would we still be allowed to go to the resorts and check out the Christmas decorations? This is one of the things we've always wanted to do, and I'd hate to miss it just because we decided to stay offsite and I didn't ask ahead of time. We usually stay at POP, but it's $209 per night during that time frame.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
danny25
I love Disney and Iīm friend of STICH

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
If we go to WDW the last week of December, 2013 (yes, it's insane, I know, but it's the only time DH and I can be off work at the same time), and stay offsite (it would be much cheaper), would we still be allowed to go to the resorts and check out the Christmas decorations? This is one of the things we've always wanted to do, and I'd hate to miss it just because we decided to stay offsite and I didn't ask ahead of time. We usually stay at POP, but it's $209 per night during that time frame.

Hi, sure you can and you must do becuse itīs beatiful, you can enter any Disney resort without any problem and enjoy the lobbys, restaurants and gift shops, if you go by car only show a picture Id to the guard and tell that you are going to the restaurant, and you will be very well welcome. Only one more thing if you go late at nigth it could be more complicated, but this could happen if you go after 11 pm. Wishing you a really magical vacation
danny25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

We toured the resorts on New Year's Day and all parking was restricted to the specific resort's guests and those with ADRs only. If you are planning to park at a resort, make an ADR just in case. Or, using the resort's valet parking would be the only other option if you are not parking at a Park.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
if you go by car only show a picture Id to the guard and tell that you are going to the restaurant, and you will be very well welcome.
If you <are> going to the restaurant, of course.

If not, just be honest, and I bet you will be welcome. If not because they are full, then you've done the right thing, and you can always take bus transportation to any resort (and sit back and enjoy the relaxing bus ride!).

Well worth the time to visit them. The Christmas Tree in the Animal Kingdom Lodge is particularly impressive, as is the entire lobby of the Grand Floridian.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
amym2
DIS Veteran

Yes! A few years ago, we were staying offsite but Christmas morning we drove to the Poly. We were able to park without a problem. They were giving out free cookies and lemonade! Then we took the monorail to the GF to check out the gingerbread houses. Fun!
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
danny25
I love Disney and Iīm friend of STICH

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
If you <are> going to the restaurant, of course.

If not, just be honest, and I bet you will be welcome. If not because they are full, then you've done the right thing, and you can always take bus transportation to any resort (and sit back and enjoy the relaxing bus ride!).

Well worth the time to visit them. The Christmas Tree in the Animal Kingdom Lodge is particularly impressive, as is the entire lobby of the Grand Floridian.
Of course, but it can be the counter service restaurant and she can buy a coke and stroll the resort not need to eat at a table service or something like that.
That was my idea when I sugest to say that, not any kind of cheating the system, nobody have sayed to be dishonest by the way!
Itīs incredible how some Disers are always thinking that the people will always be dishonest for doing the things more easy, I donīt see any rule wich state that you canīt visit a disney resort without telling exactly what you will do inside, perhaps she go to the counter service, perhaps she stroll the lobby, perhaps she go to the arcade with her family, or perhaps she ask at the frontt desk how much cost the rooms, and she not will do a list of all the posible things that she can do to give for the guard.
danny25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
cvjw
DIS Veteran

We had reservations at O'hana for January 2nd this year, and the guard at the Polynesian was turning all cars away unless the occupants had an ADR at a Poly restaurant and had their names on his list. Just FYI.

You can always pay to park at the TTC and take the monorail around to tour the hotels.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Last month friends parked at Downtown Disney and took a bus to visit AoA. I'm sure you could do something similar to tour the resorts during this busy time of year. Enjoy your trip!!

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
iambrink
Mouseketeer

We spent five days resort hopping one trip during Christmas and had a blast. We had reservations for meals at many of the resorts we visited, but others we did not. We all enjoyed seeing the decorations and it allowed us to scope out the resorts for future stays!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Since you'll be staying offsite, I imagine that you will want to get the most out of your parking dollars. So, on a day that you are at the MK, you can hop on the monorail and tour the CR, Polynesian (not much there to see IMHO) and the GF. Take the boat over to WL.
When you're at either Epcot or DHS, head over to BW, S/D, YC/BC.
The day you visit AK? Head to AKL.

Or you can park at DTD and take resort buses from there. You can try to park at resorts, but that's going to be hard. There's a reason room rates are that high....they can be simply because so many people are there at this time of year.So, you may find parking to be restricted to only those staying there or those with existing ADRs on a listing.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
sndral
DIS Veteran

I like to tour resorts as an 'add on' to a park. So, on the day you visit AK take the bus from the park and visit AKL Jambo (beautiful tree) and then maybe have lunch @ Sanaa in Kidani to see the animals on that savanna. On the day you go to Epcot, walk out the back gate and check out the chocolate carousel in the BC lobby. Wander over to YC, if you like model trains. On the day you visit DHS, veer off to catch the boat and ride it over to the BW to see their lobby. On MK day, take a break to monorail hop and see each resort's lobby maybe have lunch or dinner @ one of the resorts, several character options between GF, CR and Poly, the GF's tree is gorgeous. On another MK day ride the WL boat over to see the WL's beautiful huge tree. If you schedule lunch/dinners to coincide w/ your touring then bonus points
Note, if parks are going to fill to capacity, then this is not a viable option, but given how crowded parks might become, having an ADR at a nearby resort can be a welcome escape from the masses.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

wow! great ideas! i'm so glad i asked! thank you, everyone! : still not sure if we're going, but if we do, we'll be well-prepared!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

From MK, do the monorail loop of CR, Poly, GF
From HS do the boat loop of Swan, Dolphin, YC/BC, BW
From DTD you can take a boat to POR, OKW, SSR
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: