Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
jamoka
Earning My Ears

motion sickness on rides...

Hey, we are visiting Universal and IOA for the first time this summer. Several people in my family are prone to motion sickness. As a reference point, nothing at Disney made anyone motion sick except going backwards in the dark on Expedition Everest.

My kids can do six flags rides (not spinning though), but with breaks in between. So - my question is this: Would you say that the rides cause motion sickness in general? Should we prepare with bonine? Thanks!
jamoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Yup. Take the bonine! There have been lots of reports of motion sickness on many of the rides. There are quite a few simulators and Forbidden Journey seems to create a lot of upsets.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Universal Orlando has several motion simulators that can cause motion sickness in some. These include Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man, The Simpsons Ride, and Despicable Me. Some rides have spinning, like Cat in the Hat, Men in Black, and Storm Force Accelatron. The Mummy is a roller coaster/dark ride that has a very short dip where you go backwards. Definitely a ride not to be missed, though!
BrinkofSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I second the recommendation of the Bonine. On our first trip I was the only one who took it on the first day. I was the only one who didn't feel terrible after a second dose of the Simpsons. The rest of my family joined me in taking Bonine for the next several days, and everyone was fine once we did that.
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
kkendle
Mouseketeer

Expedition Everest makes me sick as well....the part that goes backwards. Of course, Star Tours bothers me as well.

Definitely take the bonine...I takje it every morning before I go to the parks, but it doesn't help me much on rides like Forbidden Journey. I ride it once every time we go and it sill makes me motion sick.

Then I just explore the area while my kids ride it several times. Once is enough for me and it is worth experiencing the sickness to be able to experience it. The medicine does help as the first time I didn't take anything and it wasn't so great.

Don't let it scare you that people are saying that several attractions cause motion sickness..the medicine will help and they are awesome rides. Maybe try them once and if it is OK, then have fun...or don't ride it again. Spiderman bothers me some as well.
kkendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkendle View Post
Expedition Everest makes me sick as well....the part that goes backwards. Of course, Star Tours bothers me as well.

Definitely take the bonine...I takje it every morning before I go to the parks, but it doesn't help me much on rides like Forbidden Journey. I ride it once every time we go and it sill makes me motion sick.

Then I just explore the area while my kids ride it several times. Once is enough for me and it is worth experiencing the sickness to be able to experience it. The medicine does help as the first time I didn't take anything and it wasn't so great.

Don't let it scare you that people are saying that several attractions cause motion sickness..the medicine will help and they are awesome rides. Maybe try them once and if it is OK, then have fun...or don't ride it again. Spiderman bothers me some as well.
Both Expedition Everest and Star Tours make me sick as well. A bonine makes a big difference. I can ride everything at Universal. I still avoid Star Tours as it has made me extremely ill in the past.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
kkendle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Both Expedition Everest and Star Tours make me sick as well. A bonine makes a big difference. I can ride everything at Universal. I still avoid Star Tours as it has made me extremely ill in the past.
We will be there TOMORROW!!!! Yeah!! Excited. Will be at Animal Kingdom tomorrow and then US/IOA the next 2 days staying onsite. I will ride Everest at AK once....and I mean once. That will be enough for me. Later in the week when we visit HS...I will gladly wait for the kids as they ride Star Tours as I will not do it again. Have the Bonine ready to take in the am before our early morning flight!
kkendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine View Post
Universal Orlando has several motion simulators that can cause motion sickness in some. These include Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man, The Simpsons Ride, and Despicable Me. Some rides have spinning, like Cat in the Hat, Men in Black, and Storm Force Accelatron. The Mummy is a roller coaster/dark ride that has a very short dip where you go backwards. Definitely a ride not to be missed, though!
Bonine helps me greatly, but I still get queasy on the FJ-flying scene, Spiderman's falling scene and Simpson's rollercoaster scenes. I just close my eyes when I feel dizzy and then I am ok.

The spinning rides are what get me, Mission Space-orange version...no way. Tea Cups or Storm force ride, not for me.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
hlg22
Mouseketeer

I have motion sickness, take Bonine, and was fine on everything I rode at IOA (skipped Hulk and Dueling Dragons, for obvious reasons). I did start to feel a little sick the first time I rode FJ, towards the end - I think because in the part where you are flying "outside", there is so much to look at on the big screen that my eyes didn't really focus on anything. I could not have ridden it again immediately after, but when I rode later in the day I was totally fine, maybe because I knew what to expect?

As a reference point, Expedition Everest made me SUPER queasy, even having taken Bonine to the extent that I had to sit outside in the fresh air for about 1/2 hour before I could even consider getting on a bus to head to Epcot for our dinner reservation.
hlg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
jjas
Mouseketeer

I used to have terrible motion sickness of rides - biggest problems were spinning in circles and going upside down

Our last two trips to Universal/Disney I've used a combination of a Bonine in the morning and wearing Sea Bands (acupuncture type things that you wear on each wrist) and I can now ride pretty much anything I want with no problems.

On our trip last week I did Hulk, Mummy, Despicable Me, Forbidden Journey, RRR, both sides of Dragon Challenge and MIB at Universal - most of them multiple times and RNRC and EE at Disney each twice almost back to back.

I also carry motion sickness gum (made from ginger) with me and if I do think I feel a little unsteady after something I chew a piece of that and it is gone in no time.

Hope you have a great trip and some (or all) of these suggestions help!
Me , DH , DD1 (27) , DD2 (21) , Max , Tucker , Lilly
jjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
villavic
Earning My Ears

Is Forbidden Journey like a roller coaster? Or is it more like Soarin, or Star Tours?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
jodical
Mouseketeer

I suggest the 2nd row or back row for the Spiderman ride. The 1st row gave me motion sickness from one of the 3D effects that made you feel like you got thrown up into the air.

Poor choice of words there too, I think.. but appropriate nonetheless.

Enjoy!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
jjas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by villavic
Is Forbidden Journey like a roller coaster? Or is it more like Soarin, or Star Tours?
Not really sure how to describe it. It's more like a combination of both. You sit in a car that I'm pretty sure is attached to an arm like thing that moves you up and down and a couple points you actually are almost completely upside down on your head. Much more moving than both Soarin and Star Tours. You move from room to room and some have giant movie screens and some have actual objects.

Hope that helps.
Me , DH , DD1 (27) , DD2 (21) , Max , Tucker , Lilly
jjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
dedex13
Mouseketeer

I get quite motion sick, but was okay on FJ and Spiderman using a combination of Bonine, Motion Ease (smells horrible but works), and ginger gum!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
hpriamson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjas View Post
Not really sure how to describe it. It's more like a combination of both. You sit in a car that I'm pretty sure is attached to an arm like thing that moves you up and down and a couple points you actually are almost completely upside down on your head. Much more moving than both Soarin and Star Tours. You move from room to room and some have giant movie screens and some have actual objects.

Hope that helps.
I don't think you ever get anywhere near upside down. You tilt backwards a few times, but never more than straight horizontal on your back. One time through I didn't watch the ride effects - I looked around to see how it all worked. It's pretty damn amazing - the ride seats are mounted to a huge robotic arm that's attached to a cart. The cart moves along a track on the floor while the arm flings you around the various set pieces of the ride. I highly recommend trying it if you get a chance to ride multiple times.

Motion sickness wise - my wife is pretty prone to motion sickness - she can't do coasters, didn't like Spider-Man or Simpsons. But we talked her into riding FJ and she enjoyed it, and said it didn't make her feel sick or queasy at all.
hpriamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: