Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #1576
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
It was his grandfather's island. Here's the article.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...e-Anymore.html

Jill in CO
Fascinating story !!I bet his Grandfather made a few $$$$$ selling it to Disney!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #1577
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Fascinating story !!I bet his Grandfather made a few $$$$$ selling it to Disney!!!
actually if you read the story he didn't sell it to Disney. Even now Disney doesn't actually own it, it's owned by a dummy company they set up in the Bahamas.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #1578
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Carissa!

so happy to have you here! I see you started a TR yourself

We've still got several days left in the trip, it was wonderful, absolutely wonderful!
I still remember your first TR (I think it was your first) about your stay at Fort Wilderness. I've thought about that many times as we've planned this trip.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #1579
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
actually if you read the story he didn't sell it to Disney. Even now Disney doesn't actually own it, it's owned by a dummy company they set up in the Bahamas.

I must have missed that part!!! So who set up the dummy company, the grandfather or Disney???
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #1580
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Well the original sale wasn't to Disney, it was to a dummy company for Frank Barber. Disney acquired it after that. Alvin Tucker, the grandfather, sold it to Frank Barber under his dummy corporation. It's pretty murky how Disney got it from Barber as supposedly he was dead partway into his incarceration, I've not been able to find details on how Disney actually bought it or under what name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Actually Disney now owns it in full. At least according to all the public sites I could find. Whether they initially acquired it under a dummy corp as they did with WDW land I can't find specifics on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
I still remember your first TR (I think it was your first) about your stay at Fort Wilderness. I've thought about that many times as we've planned this trip.
As you know, we loved FW and the cabins! if there are any questions you have about them, ask away.

Quote:
I must have missed that part!!! So who set up the dummy company, the grandfather or Disney???
Neither lol. Grandfather sold it to a dummy company that was really Frank Barbers, Disney got it from Barber, or more likely from the Bahamian government if they seized control after Barber was taken down. I imagine all the details of that are hard to find for a reason along those lines.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #1581
natebenma
DIS Veteran

THIS JUST IN!!! Customize Upload Options (SIZE) was back on PB for me this morning!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #1583
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Just popping in to make sure I haven't missed an update. Hope you have a great weekend, Cynthia.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #1584
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Conchs, Konk's and Cocktails

Sorry for the delay! Real life is well, real life! We've been busy around here. Jeff and I ran away a couple of weekends ago for a night to celebrate our birthdays and Valentine’s day as is our tradition and had a lovely time in our own town with an amazing dinner, a show at a local jazz favorite and a night at a downtown hotel. Of course it was jam packed on either end with getting kids off to snow caves camping, overnights and opening night of the Sounders with grandparents and then soccer games and a lot of math homework all around. Which meant....no update! Then this weekend we had one college visit/ID camp for K (Vanderbilt), middle school registration for Eric and high school registration for Evan plus some other school events. The latter was mildly stressful, that thing read like a college catalog and was paired with an open house that was of no use whatsoever. Hopefully we've made the right choices for all. Thankfully this weekend should have some real downtime, or at least one can hope. K has a tournament but it’s in Vegas so we will not be going and right now the E's schedules look relatively light.

I am hideously behind on everyone's threads, my apologies in advance. I will get caught up, I will! Someday.

I have to admit, in the light of what happened at POP this weekend I am a bit freaked out now about leaving the E's unattended even though I know they have good swimming skills and there were multiple lifeguards there while we ditched them in search of Serenity. I digress but my heart hurts for the family for those who don't know, a 13 year old boy died after almost drowning in the Hippy Dippy Pool. The family was right there and honestly, at 13 with good swimming skills, we are not always "right" there. We are nearby but in the pool or physically next to where they are? No, not always. As I read about the incident, and thought of our trip to Serenity Bay it just gave me pause. Heck, as I think about our trip, or life, in general. Several times the boys were swimming without us. Never alone, usually with a lifeguard present but at what age, what skill is it ok? Is it? I know my parents weren't with me at that age. As long as I could pass the swim test to swim out to the platform at the lake we went to, that was good enough. I do not expect the lifeguards to babysit and heaven knows the boys swim at their own risk in our lake all summer long. Often we are there, but not out on the dock watching every move and at 13 the club allows them to be there without a parent. No lifeguard… and Evan spends most of his days down there with his friends jumping in and out of the lake. Last summer, at 13, was the first summer we let him go on his own without us, per club rules. I admit, I’ am glad Eric won't technically be old enough until after summer is over this year as I certainly don’t trust Evan to keep an eye on him if he has friends there. Last summer, before the trip, Eric was on an aggressive lesson schedule so we could get him to a point where he could go into the ocean and even consider trying to snorkel but still, lessons aside, visuals aside, beyond the swim test at the Y

So how can you really know how far to let them go? At their ages I thought we did but with this happening it really makes me wonder if there is more to the story or not. The news said he was jumping in and out. CNN had a great article on teens and swimming and going beyond limits with peers as well as a scary bit of information about something called "shallow water blackout" that I’m going to share with the E’s. Hard. I can’t even imagine.

At any rate I've truly meant to get this update up for what feels like a week and between life and a high maintenance cat I've not had my normal "free" writing time. I do want this done before we go to Aulani so need to get cracking. This is a bit shorter than I wanted but if I wait to get the rest of the night in it, it might not happen today!

With that, let's go back to Castaway Cay! When I left off we’d been robbed, robbed I tell you of a drink at Serenity Bay. We'd left, and headed back to find the kids. Done with snorkeling (we could tell by the gear at the loungers) we easily spotted them and gave them the one last slide warning. Which let me get set up for a photo attempt.

Where they'd go?

Don't get salt water up your nose Eric!

Did I miss Evan?

Yep

No clue what this picture was about

The sad walk up

Okay...

Really, I have NO idea what they were doing here other than I distinctly recall they thought it was hilarious and I thought it was hideous, which of course made them keep doing it. We did do a quick slide ranking at this point and on the Evan slideometer Pelican Plunge, the fast side (you can see in the pics they were on different slides) gets a 10!

We had bribed them to get out with promises of a smoothie and more shopping. I really wanted to try that darn Konk Kooler and we were cutting it close. We packed up, Kendall had found us while we were getting the E’s out of the water and headed over here

Carp. No smoothies on the menu

One of them they were able to make without rum but it was not what the E’s had in mind so the 3 of us ordered.

And here it is, the infamous Konk Kooler!

from Alears (I need to check this against evan's Disney cookbook as it's in there too)

3 oz. Light Rum (Suggestion - Malibu or Parrot Bay)
3 oz. Dark Rum (Suggestion - Cruzan Black Strap)
4 oz. Orange Juice
8 oz. Cream of Coconut (Suggestion - Coco Casa)
6 oz. Passion Fruit Juice Concentrate (Suggestion - Welches)
3 oz. Ice

I LOVED it! I was worried it would be too sweet and it wasn't. Just lovely tropical coconutty deliciousness. Honestly, had I not been robbed at Castaway Air, this might have been my 2nd.

While the drinks were being made I let Jeff get them and settle up. As you can see, while we were trying to get Conched Out…the whole Island was almost out. They were literally boarding up the bar while making our drinks.

What it "normally" looks like

Mission (for 3 anyway) accomplished!

I'd sent the boys ahead to shop

Where honestly there was nothing of interest. Evan was bummed, he’d been convinced he would find a necklace but there just wasn't a thing anyone wanted. I think they are missing the mark on merch here, Big time. Most of it was either too cute (very little kid Disney) or too generic.

I was not leaving without the mandatory pic

They look miserable huh

Who is your favorite character?

I could not get Kendall and Jeff in the picture, oh well. With that, it was time to head back to the ship.

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 03-16-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #1585
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Conch's and Cocktails

Continued from previous

And look, we are the last ones off the island (shocker I know)

And onto the tram

For some reason I thought that was funny at the time

There she is

No one walking back apparently

Hey look someone else is still here!

Too late to get on the tram going the other way…unless you are a towel

Sadly, we got off the tram and with the rest of the stragglers, I mean the rest of the folks who maximized every minute they could on the Island, we headed in.

Up next. Where are the kids?

Sorry this one is short guys, the rest of the evening involves well, more than one story, so I need a little writing time. It was an interesting evening.

Trick or Treat

Last edited by eandesmom; 03-16-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #1586
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

As I was reading your post about the boy who died after the drowning, I was thinking of all those times we snuck off and went swimming in the pond behind our house and of those times when I let my kids swim waaaaaay out in the lake when we were camping. It's scary to think what could have happened.

Moving on to happier thoughts. Ya'll really did milk every single minute out of Castaway Cay! I can't say that I blame you as it's such a beautiful place.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #1587
MEK
DIS Veteran

Reading about that 13 year old boy certainly was certainly tragic. I remember, a few years back, reading about a 14 year old who died at Typhoon Lagoon. She didn't drown, but she literally cardiac arrested for some unknown reason. I was always on high alert when my kids were in that wave pool. I could never relax.

So, how WAS the Konch Kooler? (did I spell that right? ) I didn't here any rave reviews. Do tell. I have to have at least one "signature" drink while lounging around on the island.

I love that your gang closed down the island. That's awesome. Just goes to show what a great day you had!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #1588
MeMom
DIS Veteran

I am taking a break from school work to treat myself to some DIS time. I can't see the pictures here, but I sure will look forward to seeing them tonight! For some reason I can see one of them - the Conched Out Bar (what it normally looks like), and I see palm trees, which makes me happy.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #1589
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Cynthia, playing catch up myself, but just wanted to say that I love all those photos of an empty CC!
Glad you got your drinks in the end ...... and sorry to hear about the shopping.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #1590
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Just popping in to make sure I haven't missed an update. Hope you have a great weekend, Cynthia.
You didn't although I was probably uploading it as you typed this! Hope you have a great weekend too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
As I was reading your post about the boy who died after the drowning, I was thinking of all those times we snuck off and went swimming in the pond behind our house and of those times when I let my kids swim waaaaaay out in the lake when we were camping. It's scary to think what could have happened.
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Moving on to happier thoughts. Ya'll really did milk every single minute out of Castaway Cay! I can't say that I blame you as it's such a beautiful place.
We did milk it that's for sure! And I'd do it that way again for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Reading about that 13 year old boy certainly was certainly tragic. I remember, a few years back, reading about a 14 year old who died at Typhoon Lagoon. She didn't drown, but she literally cardiac arrested for some unknown reason. I was always on high alert when my kids were in that wave pool. I could never relax.
I'm on high alert in the wave pool, they are not allowed in it without me and/or Jeff but even then we do get split up, it's hard not to.

Quote:
So, how WAS the Konch Kooler? (did I spell that right? ) I didn't here any rave reviews. Do tell. I have to have at least one "signature" drink while lounging around on the island.
Konk and it was fabulous! So fabulous that maybe that should be our drink for F&G. I checked the all ears recipe against the Disney cookbook and while similar ingredients, they are NOT remotely the same proportionately. Check it out

Allears (this is making a batch versus single)

3 oz. Light Rum (Suggestion - Malibu or Parrot Bay)
3 oz. Dark Rum (Suggestion - Cruzan Black Strap)
4 oz. Orange Juice
8 oz. Cream of Coconut (Suggestion - Coco Casa)
6 oz. Passion Fruit Juice Concentrate (Suggestion - Welches)
3 oz. Ice

Mix in blender until slushy.

Disney (single)
1/4 oz. Light Rum
3/4 oz. Dark Rum
1 oz. Orange Juice
1 oz. Pina Colada Mix
1 oz. Passion Fruit Juice

Shake and serve in a tall glass with crushed ice.

Quote:
I love that your gang closed down the island. That's awesome. Just goes to show what a great day you had!
We did shut it down, I'd do it again too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I am taking a break from school work to treat myself to some DIS time. I can't see the pictures here, but I sure will look forward to seeing them tonight! For some reason I can see one of them - the Conched Out Bar (what it normally looks like), and I see palm trees, which makes me happy.
Oh how funny, the one public domain picture I hijacked you can see but not any of mine. Hopefully you can see them now. Palm trees would make me very happy today too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Cynthia, playing catch up myself, but just wanted to say that I love all those photos of an empty CC!
Glad you got your drinks in the end ...... and sorry to hear about the shopping.
Oh it's ok on the shopping, I just think they are missing some sales is all. Believe me, we found plenty to buy over the course of the trip

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: