Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
rema
Earning My Ears

Mayan ruins w/ little kids...Costa Maya or Cozumel?

We are on Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean, on May 11. We have two kids ages 7 and 4. We'd like to visit some Mayan ruins but the experience needs to be kid friendly, rather than a long bus ride to see "the best". I know the excursions from both Costa Maya and Cozumel offer opportunities, any recommendations?

Thanks!
rema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
jodical
Mouseketeer

We did the San Gervasio ruins on Cozumel in November with my son who is 6. The bus ride was just under 30 minutes. He didn't mind it at all. There was a fair amount of walking but you don't have time to tour the ENTIRE site so it could have been worse. He didn't complain. He liked having his picture taken beside the dry cistern, the arch, etc. There were a fair amount of iguanas and Mexican "raccoons" aka coati mundis to be seen which he also thought was pretty neat.

That being said, I think I remember reading that the ruins are even closer in Costa Maya.

Enjoy!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...

WE'RE BOOKED! DL in Sept 2013
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
nicbic97
Mouseketeer

We did the ruins in costa maya with DS4. There was a bus ride that was about 45 min, but the guide spoke, told jokes, and passed around maps to keep everyone entertained. DS loved climbing the ruins when we got there and there wasn't a ton of walking because there are only 3 ruins to see and they are not that far apart. DS took a nap on the way back. He never takes naps so I think he was pretty tired from all the fun

5/15/99-18th b-day visit to MK, 9/28/12-MNSSHP, 9/29/12-10/6/12-Fantasy Western, 5/12/13-5/16/13-Dream 4 day Bahamaian, 11/10/13-11/15/13-Magic 5 day Western, 12/30/13-1/3/14-ASMo, 6/2/14-6/9/14-Alaskan Wonder
nicbic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
MrMom
Mouseketeer

I've been to the ruins in Cozumel before kids and Costa Maya ruins this past December with DD9 and DS5. Both ruins are kid friendly.

Between those two I would recommend Costa Maya - it is only a little bit further and is visually more impressive. We used Native Choice for the tour in Costa Maya and would recommend them highly. http://www.thenativechoice.com/

Now, if you are talking about visiting Tulum or Chichen Itza from Cozumel - those are a lot farther away and will require multiple hours of transit to and from.
MrMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Costa Maya. The San Gervasio ruins on Cozumel proper are not worth your time. The Tulum ruins (accessible from Cozumel) are arguably more impressive than the Chacchoben ruins you can see from Costa Maya, but getting to them involves waiting for a ferry to the mainland and a long bus ride. Also, you can't climb on the Tulum ruins.

Lastly, there is virtually nothing to do in Costa Maya other than touring the ruins (unless you like shopping for trinkets), whereas there's plenty of other things to do in Cozumel.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

It all depends on the children you are taking. Young children won't be that thrilled with the ruins.
We were just there, last week, and I was personally appalled at the behaviour of some children on our excursion! The ruins were clearly marked NO CLIMBING and the kids were climbing all over them, we even saw children poking an injured iguana with a stick, sadly the parents did not intercede! The children were so rowdy that we couldn't hear our guide speaking at times.
I know I may get flamed here and if so, that is fine, but in my opinion, parents should be mindful of what their children can respectfully tolerate, ex: long walks, talks that they may find boring etc. when planning excursions. Any persons, young or old that participate in the ruins excursions should be mindful of where they are and treat the area with respect. Before anyone asks, I am a parent and a VERY tolerant grandparent and I would hesitate to take my grandchildren to the ruins because they are young and they'd rather be at the beach. That said, if I took them to the ruins, they WOULD respect the area, the wildlife and the culture, without exception!

[Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."
-St. Augustine]

Last edited by DizneyNutz; 03-15-2013 at 06:44 PM.
DizneyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Distinkt
Earning My Ears

We are an older couple with no young children and we went to Tulum on one of our Disney cruises. I certainly would not recommend that for you. The trip there would be too long and boring for little people in my opinion. I enjoyed the tour, but it wasn't worth the length of the trip for me and I love all things historical. I was also the type of parent who took their children to see a lot of sights and to the arts, so even though I didn't have children with me, I do have a frame of reference. To get to Tulum, you tendered from the boat, walked a ways to the bus, and then had a fairly long drive to the ruins. If you do plan to go, make sure to have some water for them and some activity for the bus. (There was also a stop at a tourist trap along the way that was time consuming and your children would probably want to purchase something there. Lol, I am guessing that is the point of the stop!)
Distinkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
iadizfans
Mouseketeer

We did the Tulum ruins excursion on a 7 night Western Caribbean (Magic) trip in Dec. '11.

It was enjoyable. However, one note of caution. The ferry ride to the mainland is a killer (seasickness) if the waters are choppy. It took the entire day before we felt better.
iadizfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
actnkidz
Mouseketeer

We went to Tulum when our kids were the same age and we left them on the ship for the day. We got to have a great day touring and the kids had a blast in the kids club .

actnkidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I'm glad there are some good reports about doing touring the ruins in Costa Maya with young kids. I was just going to stay on the ship because I didn't think they were kid friendly. Now I'll book that tour.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 03-16-2013 at 12:06 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
cpeters
Earning My Ears

We went to San Gervasio on Cozumel last month (February) and enjoyed it. Our son is 6 and he liked it, but did not love it. Our guide "Mi Mi" (No clue if correct spelling) was absolutely WONDERFUL and made the tour for us. She is of Mayan descent and was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Have not been on the other tours so cannot compare, but would not have a problem recommending this tour (Our tour included stop at Beach after ruins tour, which our son DID love) especially if includes stop at Beach.
cpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
matthew517
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom View Post
I've been to the ruins in Cozumel before kids and Costa Maya ruins this past December with DD9 and DS5. Both ruins are kid friendly.

Between those two I would recommend Costa Maya - it is only a little bit further and is visually more impressive. We used Native Choice for the tour in Costa Maya and would recommend them highly. http://www.thenativechoice.com/

Now, if you are talking about visiting Tulum or Chichen Itza from Cozumel - those are a lot farther away and will require multiple hours of transit to and from.
The Natives Choice is the only way to see the ruins in Costa Maya.
matthew517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
jodical
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodical View Post
We did the San Gervasio ruins on Cozumel in November with my son who is 6. The bus ride was just under 30 minutes. He didn't mind it at all. There was a fair amount of walking but you don't have time to tour the ENTIRE site so it could have been worse. He didn't complain. He liked having his picture taken beside the dry cistern, the arch, etc. There were a fair amount of iguanas and Mexican "raccoons" aka coati mundis to be seen which he also thought was pretty neat.

That being said, I think I remember reading that the ruins are even closer in Costa Maya.

Enjoy!
We did the San Gervasio tour with the Discover Mexico park where they had a pinata for the kids, large scale miniatures of Mexico City and an included Mexican lunch. I would say my son enjoyed himself a but more there than at the ruins.

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...

WE'RE BOOKED! DL in Sept 2013
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

We only have 4 1/2 hours in Costa Maya. I think I'd be really nervous about spending 1 1/2 of those driving - doesn't leave much time at the ruins.... disappointed to hear the ruins in Cozumel are not worth visiting (really didn't like Cozumel last time I was there) since we have a full day in Cozumel. Not sure why DCL couldn't have balanced out those 2 ports a little better. (Even our Grand Cayman stop is short.)
[SIZE="1"]1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
NickyDa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodical View Post

We did the San Gervasio tour with the Discover Mexico park where they had a pinata for the kids, large scale miniatures of Mexico City and an included Mexican lunch. I would say my son enjoyed himself a but more there than at the ruins.
Thank you for the mini-trip report. We have this booked for May with our DS-13 and DD-8. It sounds like there will be some fun activities for them. Did you book through DCL? Just wanted to make sure we can expect the same.

Premium Annual Passholders: WDW Regulars! runDisney Fanatics
(absolutely no way to list how many times we have been to WDW)

Wonder (5-night Eastern) 3/20/2015
Magic (7-night Eastern kid-free) 10/26/2014
Fantasy (7-night Western) 5/25/2013
Dream (4-night) 6/20/2012
Dream (3-night) 3/31/2011
NickyDa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: